Yes - The Yes Album (Steven Wilson 5.1 mix) DVD-A / Blu-Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I contributed to the "funny stuff," I'll reiterate Jon's comments, PLEASE keep it out of the poll! This includes apologies and comments on previous "funny stuff."

Thank you all in advance!

Guys, PLEASE, keep the "funny stuff" in the forum and out of the poll threads. These threads are for people looking for info on a title, not for chuckles or funny jpgs.

PLEASE

But better too many than none. Good interview that hints at Tales being next...

:mad:@:

My good man, the three significant statements made by Howe virtually guarantee that it will be in fact Relayer.

First: SH said he just sat down with SW and listened to the whole thing before the Canada tour. Tales would be a hell of a sit down! :yikes More likely SH sat down with SW to listen to a remixed Relayer. (y)

Second: He said Fragile has not been done next. So we can rule that out. :banana:

Third: He said this remix made the original sound better. Tales sounds great already. Relayer is the one that needs the help.

For me I want Tales more than any other 5.1 remix. But I will be very happy with Relayer since that is a dream remix also.

My good man, the three significant statements made by Howe virtually guarantee that it will be in fact Relayer.

First: SH said he just sat down with SW and listened to the whole thing before the Canada tour. Tales would be a hell of a sit down! :yikes More likely SH sat down with SW to listen to a remixed Relayer. (y)

Second: He said Fragile has not been done next. So we can rule that out. :banana:

Third: He said this remix made the original sound better. Tales sounds great already. Relayer is the one that needs the help.

For me I want Tales more than any other 5.1 remix. But I will be very happy with Relayer since that is a dream remix also.

This is all simply your opinion except for #2.
I do agree with you that the original mix of "Tales" does sound better than the original mix of "Relayer", however they both need a good amount of improvement.
They both lack that high-end "shimmer" that "The Yes Album", "Fragile", and "Close to the Edge" all seem to have, and I think part of that has to do with the switch over from Bill Bruford to Alan White. They are both great drummers, but to me, Bill had the better drum sound.

All signs (IMO) point to "Tales" being the next remix, but I would be fine with anything from "Tales" to "Going for the One". :)

I do agree with you that the original mix of "Tales" does sound better than the original mix of "Relayer", however they both need a good amount of improvement.
They both lack that high-end "shimmer" that "The Yes Album", "Fragile", and "Close to the Edge" all seem to have, and I think part of that has to do with the switch over from Bill Bruford to Alan White. They are both great drummers, but to me, Bill had the better drum sound.

All signs (IMO) point to "Tales" being the next remix, but I would be fine with anything from "Tales" to "Going for the One". :)

Relayer is a definite possibility, but I agree w/ RT that DMJ's points 1 and 3 are debatable. Also agree that while Tales would be my 1st choice, Relayer would be great too. GftO isn't a possibility, since SW's FB statement recently stated he's been contracted to do '70-'74 albums (hopefully he'll do more).

Oh- and another clue for Tales being next: NW's poll about 1 or 2 BR's for a double album.

What do people think about the alternative album???

Nothing in those bonus tracks comes close to America in 5.1 from the CttE release, imo. I won't be visiting that alternative very often at all. Studio version of Clap is the most interesting, but I still prefer the original, live version.

:mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@:

Just my opinion? I thought that went without saying. :rolleyes:

:) :) :)

Surely we are only having fun trying to read anything into comments from a person trying to be evasive in the first place. A fool's errand to begin with, but I can not stand to wait so... why can't we speculate?

@Perp & RT and Proggie:

I hope you guys are right and it is Tales. I don't wanna get my hopes up for Tales. But in all honesty, reading Steve Howe's interview I kinda felt it was leaning towards Relayer.

AND: We are very lucky that YES are really promoting these 5.1 remixes and they have a major publication supporting them. That is a strong indication that we will get more than less YES 5.1 remixes.

We love Steven Wilson!

:mad:@: :mad:@: :mad:@:

@Perp & RT and Proggie:

I hope you guys are right and it is Tales. I don't wanna get my hopes up for Tales. But in all honesty, reading Steve Howe's interview I kinda felt it was leaning towards Relayer.

I wish it was Relayer. I find "Tales" quite a bit............booooring! They must have either been sober or had REAL bad hangovers for that one!!

We love Steven Wilson!

Very true. He is the bestest!!

I wish it was Relayer. I find "Tales" quite a bit............booooring! They must have either been sober or had REAL bad hangovers for that one!!

Fair enough. I've said that Tales was too much Steve & Jon only and should have not been rushed out without more general band input & contributions. And I think that The Remembering & Ancient are works in progress, but Tales is magnificent for how far out the band reached and still managed to pull off what they did come up with. Tales has so many other elements to it that can't be defined. If a person is looking for 4 sides of Brain Salad Surgery quality prog, no, Tales is not that. But for some reason it has been magic for me since the first time I bought the LP in 1976.

Tales brings peace.

The one thing though; for a 5.1 remix, Tales would be perfect. No matter how much Wakeman complained about Tales, his keyboard orchestrations were sensational and SH's acoustic , classical & electric guitar tracks will be "world beaters" in 5.1. Thank God SW likes Tales, otherwise it would have no chance of a remix, for sure.

Oh, Alan White was fabulous on Tales(imagine Tales being your first job as a drummer?:mad:@:) You Bruford fans need to expand your horizons a bit, yes?(y)

the yes album was never my favorite yes album (CTTE was my favorite). i always knew it was a very solid album. after listening to the 5.1 version i have to say it that i am enjoying it SIGNIFICANTLY more now. especially the wurm. the sound quality of the 5.1 version is outstanding.

Right now I am listening to the 5.1 DVD-Audio of the new Steven Wilson remix of The Yes Album.
When the multi-layered chorus hit on Starship Trooper I broke down and tears streamed from my eyes.
I am not making this up. I find this an immensely moving emotional experience to hear this beautiful music that I love so much in this new context.
Steven Wilson has done it again. And if you are reading this Steven, with all my heart: THANK YOU!!!!

And although i acknowledge that Topographic Oceans is not the best thing Yes ever did, I would nevertheless welcome the Steven Wilson treatment on that album.

I was a bit disappointed with the surround experience on CTTE, but I think it's mainly because of the way this beast was recorded, even SW couldn't do miracles. It was OK, even very OK, but not as wide and sharp as the old Fragile DVD-A.

Is The Yes Album more convincing compared to CTTE ?

Back