John from Rhino.com here - THANK YOU, QUADRAPHONIC QUAD FORUM!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not about the 6th.

Chicago Transit Authority

RIAA Certified: 2X Platinum (2 million + units)
Billboard Top 40 Hits: 3

Close to the Edge

RIAA Certified: Gold (.5 million units)
Billboard Top 40 Hits: None

Even if the unreleased mix could be found, the quad Close to the Edge will *never* be a standalone release.
Not in 2010, not in 3010.

Never.

It would be nice if us quad folk could get behind titles that have half a chance of actually being released.
"RON PAUL 2012!" shouted over and over won't make it so.

Wow, nothing like a few facts to put it in sharp contrast; much as I'd like to have CTTE I can see it doesn't come close to fitting the sales criteria that likely drives the decisions. Better scratch Beaver & Kraus off the list too. :)

Wow, nothing like a few facts to put it in sharp contrast; much as I'd like to have CTTE I can see it doesn't come close to fitting the sales criteria that likely drives the decisions. Better scratch Beaver & Kraus off the list too. :)

I wonder what the criteria really is. I mean, they're obviously not trying to cater to the broadest base, or these would not be "expensive" niche products. Maybe one of the Rhino guys could elaborate?? Will there be great varieties in music styles, or a focus on only certain styles a la Monster releases? Is the previous post correct in that only the biggest selling titles with lots of top 40 hits will have a shot at release, or could we get something a little obscure once in a while?

Maybe they don't have a concrete future vision of "quadio" yet because they were waiting to make sure the venture wouldn't tank right away.

But if anyone has some inside scoop and can talk about it, please do!!

Hi John. Very nice to have you here. Unfortunately, I must shed a little rain on this parade.... I'm just not interested in lossy quad....even 96/24 DTS. Were these discs to include a lossless option like MLP on DVD-A or even DTS-HD MA on BD I would gladly sign up for a subscription, but I just can't bring myself to do it for these discs. I do very much appreciate and support your company's interest in reissuing classic quad mixes though.

Hi John. Very nice to have you here. Unfortunately, I must shed a little rain on this parade.... I'm just not interested in lossy quad....even 96/24 DTS. Were these discs to include a lossless option like MLP on DVD-A or even DTS-HD MA on BD I would gladly sign up for a subscription, but I just can't bring myself to do it for these discs. I do very much appreciate and support your company's interest in reissuing classic quad mixes though.

A DTS DVD right now is the most viable and reliable format. You can't expect them to support a format that has been abandoned by the industry as a whole, esp while trying to get something off the ground.

I would prefer BD myself, but if these early releases succeed, I bet we'll see DTS-MA down the road--eventually. Give them a chance to get this off the ground and support it with more than lip service, and we'll probably get what we want.

Chicago Transit Authority

RIAA Certified: 2X Platinum (2 million + units)
Billboard Top 40 Hits: 3

Close to the Edge

RIAA Certified: Gold (.5 million units)
Billboard Top 40 Hits: None

Even if the unreleased mix could be found, the quad Close to the Edge will *never* be a standalone release.
Not in 2010, not in 3010.

Never.

It would be nice if us quad folk could get behind titles that have half a chance of actually being released.
"RON PAUL 2012!" shouted over and over won't make it so.

CTTE peaked on the Billboard 200 at #3, as did Aretha's Greatest Hits (the 1971 non-quad version).

Comparing Chicago to CTTE is not revealing of what the future may hold. Comparing it to this Aretha release might.

Beyond your opinion and Ron Paul comparisons, is there something you know that we don't?

I am truly sorry but I have to agree with Toerishuman, I was way dissappointed with the chicago release, the mix was stale with horns in one channel and guitar firmly placed in another it brought back the old beatles mixes to me with vocals completely on one side and instruments on the other , No way, this is the 21'st century and much better is not only possible but is reality. It was discrete I'll give it that. To my ears the sound quality on that disc was also a dissappointment, marginal at best, the dynamic response harkened me back to my days of hanging at the beach with my norelco mono cassettecorder. In other words zero. At $ 30 dollars a disc I expect more, Lets face it this is a money making venture and that is all. they can regurge old quad mixes, not even undertake the expense to freshen the sound quality up and put them out probably paying the same royalties as the stereo mix and pocket an extra 300% sounds good to me too. I can put together a better disc on my own. I am sorry again I hate to be a killjoy but lets look at this for what it is. I am actually working on a dvd-a production of close to the edge right now as I too think it is one of those classics that warner bros. skunked us on. And you are very right they will probably never release it. Anyway sorry again about the vent as I'm sure this will upset alot of you, but the disneyland ride needs to be exposed for what it really is!

BOA being Black Oak Arkansas - not Best Of Aretha! I respectfully disagree with eggplant's logic above. Comparing billboard statistics from 40 years ago on a stereo release is not meaningful in deciding what people would want today in a quad release. Real market research would determine what the target market is - which I think is defined as people who wish to and can play quad on their sound systems and will pay a premium for that over stereo. Those same people likely have a BD player and DVD-Audio and or SACD and want a hi-rez format. Next there would be some attempt to determine what that market wants to buy and listen to. I happened to think the target audience, i.e. people like me!, would prefer Yes over Aretha. However that is my opinion and I could be mistaken.

Anyway sorry again about the vent as I'm sure this will upset alot of you, but the disneyland ride needs to be exposed for what it really is!

You seem to be the one having trouble seeing this for what it is. Your entire opinion is based completely on the premise that this product is inferior because it is not exactly what you want, and then you tell us we can't see it for what it is. At least make some sense.

Isn't it partly an attempt to turn on the non-adopters of surround sound music? Pick popular titles and make them accessible. Lots of people have dvd dts 5.1. No need to invest big bucks on the part of the Label because most of the work is done. Surround releases are just not going to happen like they did in the past, at least not for now.

Just my opinion, if experience means a bit. This is a better release than chicago or yes. The reason is, a usa black audience which would ignore chicago. A japanese audience which will adore this, and a wider european audience also. Having done CES for many years, and sat in booths talking to all the people from all over the world who wanted our product, i just feel the motown sound will outsell many other tyes of music. We had motown come to us wanting to do marvin gaye right away. They knew they wanted in on this at the start. Lots more to find John. Revisit Motown soon. Japanese release, Supremes great hits would be a slam dunk. And with the first ten, slam dunks are the desire. You got one with AF.:cool:

You seem to be the one having trouble seeing this for what it is. Your entire opinion is based completely on the premise that this product is inferior because it is not exactly what you want, and then you tell us we can't see it for what it is. At least make some sense.

And you can honestly tell me you think that the chicago release was a quality product??? wow, ok , uh huh, you are obviously so hungry for the record companies to crap out surround that quality does'nt matter.

i just feel the motown sound will outsell many other tyes of music. We had motown come to us wanting to do marvin gaye right away. They knew they wanted in on this at the start. Lots more to find John. Revisit Motown soon. Japanese release, Supremes great hits would be a slam dunk. And with the first ten, slam dunks are the desire. You got one with AF.:cool:

Next a "What's going on" will be mandatory. Stellar quad mix, an all-time hit album and single, wonderful sound. And a extremely hard-to-find title, as for all Motown quads.

Just my opinion, if experience means a bit. This is a better release than chicago or yes. The reason is, a usa black audience which would ignore chicago. A japanese audience which will adore this, and a wider european audience also. Having done CES for many years, and sat in booths talking to all the people from all over the world who wanted our product, i just feel the motown sound will outsell many other tyes of music. We had motown come to us wanting to do marvin gaye right away. They knew they wanted in on this at the start. Lots more to find John. Revisit Motown soon. Japanese release, Supremes great hits would be a slam dunk. And with the first ten, slam dunks are the desire. You got one with AF.:cool:

Totally agree with Tad here. Supremes Greatest Hits would be great in this series. Excellent Quad mix - one of the real memorable ones from the '70s in Japan !

*Sigh* Why the bickering? CTA was a quality product. It remained true to the original quad mix and sounded fantastic. It had a neat little gatefold cover and wasn't too bad in price. Honestly, I've paid more than $30 for a Quad 8-track. It's 2010, "tapes" don't cost $7.98 anymore. Not to get into politics, but we also live in a Capitalist society. There's money to be had. You can't blame a corporation for trying to make money. If they didn't make money, they wouldn't be around. There was nothing wrong with CTA either in presentation, mix or format. Aretha wouldn't have been my choice for the next release, but c'mon..... be reasonable. They're continuing the series and we should be happy for that. It's baby steps folks - they're not going to raid the vaults right off the bat for the long lost Blue Swede Quad or Boston Quad. They're testing the waters to see what sells. If Aretha doesn't sell all that hot, they'll probably try a more popular title next time. Be patient Grasshopper, this is only humble beginnings. And please keep in mind, that the powers that be are on this board and are reading these posts. Let's not bite the hand that feeds us, huh? If they see all this bickering in the core group, we're gonna get labelled a bunch of whack-jobs and they're not going to want to share insider info or be pleasant to us.

So let's please keep that in mind from time to time. Positive thoughts for a while and let's hope the Quadio series continues and builds momentum and hopefully, some mainstream acceptance.

I for one am very happy they are digging up classic albums. I'm not a fan of modern music and I'm not a big fan of modern 5.1 surround.... so, this stuff is right up my alley! And no, I'm not an old fart.

Hi John,
Thanks for posting here and we hope you are able to talk with us from time to time.

Quadraphonic releases from the original master tapes in just the last 5 months is a miracle! Think of how many Quad releases that have been released in the last few years? Hardly any until now.

What this is about is supporting Rhino in their efforts to clean out the vaults of Quadraphonic material. Even if a title is not exactly what one wanted, then consider it a “donation” in the effort to preserve the original master tapes from eventual destruction over time. And I happen to be broke right now, but managed to pre-order anyway. Think of how much money many of us have paid for old scratchy records or tapes with not the best sound off of eBay? In order for this to work out for more titles or titles one personally wants to hold in hand it’s also going to be necessary to grow the Quadraphonic market to people who never heard Quad before or who would very much get into the music if given the chance. We need to be mindful of this.

And if we the hardcore of the hardcore Quadraphonic fans do not support each and every title, then titles like “Yes” or “Black Oak Arkansas” are never going to happen. So let’s stay positive here and voice what tiles we would like as we pre-order this and every title. Would I have preferred a lossless element like DVD-A or BR, yes of course. But it should be obvious by price and format that this is what Rhino needs now in order to make this work. We’ve heard from music insiders who say that there’s no market for surround now. Let’s show that there is by supporting this whole project. I also agree with Q-Eight that CTA was a quality product, remaining true to the original Quadraphonic mix and sound. I’m very happy with the mastering light touch.

It would be great to see Jon’s suggestion of an Eagles box set of the unreleased Quads along with the 2 titles that were released. “One of These Nights” is my demo title for those not acquainted with Quadraphonic. These are great mixes IMHO. I too would like to see “Yes” and other hard rock titles. Marvin Gaye’s Japanese Quad mix of “Let’s Get It On” would be killer to have, another absolutely great suggestion.

If the Quadio project can get going proper on a self sustaining basis it would be great to see a familiar title, followed by an obscure one, alternating between the two. Hopefully many more new people will discover these great mixes for the first time, thus supporting ever more releases.

Jim

Back