Dutton Vocalion April 2018 Surround Sound SACDs (Guess Who, Rick Derringer & The Hues Corporation)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put the Guess Who in my cart right away, and added the Hues Corp. on the basis of Adam's enthusiasm alone. (Although as a kid, I did crank the volume whenever "Rock the Boat" came on the radio.) Much as I love his work with Edgar Winter and Steely Dan, though, I don't think either Adam's raves, steelydave's erudite notes, or Michael Dutton's remastering wizardry can get me excited about Mr. "Hoochie Koo." But maybe I'll buy a copy of that one for someone who is a fan. Huzzah for D-V!

oohh..!! i cannee cope with the pressure of the burden of responsibility if you hate those Hues Corporation Quads!! :ROFLMAO:

just in case there's any slim chance of tipping you over the edge and slipping that Rick D 2-fer into your shopping basket, the Derringer Quads have excellent (yet each one is different in mixing approach) surround mixes.. I was checking out the mix on "Rock" on the "Spring Fever" Q8 (that cost me an arm and a leg) and it is absolutely mega plus awesome... to be able to hear it in pristine discrete form, from the master tapes, for what amounts to just over a fiver (when you think about it, as half of an £11.99 2-fer..!) what an opportunity to pass by..!! ;)

Put the Guess Who in my cart right away, and added the Hues Corp. on the basis of Adam's enthusiasm alone. (Although as a kid, I did crank the volume whenever "Rock the Boat" came on the radio.) Much as I love his work with Edgar Winter and Steely Dan, though, I don't think either Adam's raves, steelydave's erudite notes, or Michael Dutton's remastering wizardry can get me excited about Mr. "Hoochie Koo." But maybe I'll buy a copy of that one for someone who is a fan. Huzzah for D-V!

Derringer played lead guitar on Steely Dan's Showbiz Kids, Chain Lightning and My Rival, is that good enough for you you old stick in the mud? :p

I kid, but in all seriousness the two Derringer albums are great rock and roll, and incredibly varied stylistically - it's not two albums worth of Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo soundalikes. I touched on it a bit in the blog entry I wrote to go along with these releases (and in the liner notes I wrote) but they're worth checking out on YouTube at least to see if you might like them. Fair enough if it's Derringer's vocals that are a stumbling block, but musically they're excellent albums, and fantastic quad mixes.

On another note, I have a whole bunch of advertising/PR material (billboard ads, etc.) that I saved in the course of doing my research for the 3 quad 2fers, is there any interest from the QQ readership in seeing it? I don't want to derail this thread with tons of pictures if not.

Derringer played lead guitar on Steely Dan's Showbiz Kids, Chain Lightning and My Rival, is that good enough for you you old stick in the mud? :p

I kid, but in all seriousness the two Derringer albums are great rock and roll, and incredibly varied stylistically - it's not two albums worth of Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo soundalikes. I touched on it a bit in the blog entry I wrote to go along with these releases (and in the liner notes I wrote) but they're worth checking out on YouTube at least to see if you might like them. Fair enough if it's Derringer's vocals that are a stumbling block, but musically they're excellent albums, and fantastic quad mixes.

On another note, I have a whole bunch of advertising/PR material (billboard ads, etc.) that I saved in the course of doing my research for the 3 quad 2fers, is there any interest from the QQ readership in seeing it? I don't want to derail this thread with tons of pictures if not.

yes, please! bring on your material goods! i mean, good materials! :giggle:

Please derail the thread, my inner music nerd needs to see things like that! :SG

I spun my Road Food Q8 rip in anticipation of the new release earlier this afternoon. Say what you will about the content, but this is a reference quad mix.

It's done very similarly to the PPL mix: mostly static ("One Way Road To Hell" has a bit of fun panning action though), but spread out across the four channels super discretely. The rears generally have rhythm guitars split hard left & right, with isolated backing vocals and no trace of the lead vocal whatsoever.

Here's "Clap For The Wolfman" from my Q8. Absolutely cannot wait to hear this with master tape fidelity!
Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 5.26.13 PM.png

Yes please: the annotated/expanded/"extra-illustrated" edition!

I know, I know...and he recently played with a tribute band called "Hey Nineteen." He's got plenty bona fides. But there are jazz sidemen I revere whose work as bandleaders doesn't send me, either, even when it's well produced and well played. Still, I know there are some major Derringer fans here, and I'm truly happy that y'all got Christmas in April with this one. I might check it out yet, just to hear the mix. But even if I don't--in the immortal words of Meat Loaf: "Two out of three ain't bad"! (Don't worry; that's not a veiled plea for a surround Loaf.)

P.S. to Adam: I'm sure I'll like the Hues. Breathe easy!

WOW, what an awesome selection of titles! I'm proud to be the originator of this thread. ;)

I've just ordered all three quad two-fers. I wasn't super-enamored of the Weather Report Stereo SACD, since most jazz isn't my favorite, but I will probably pick that one up during a sale, and perhaps it will grow on me.

I haven't heard much of this music, although obviously, I've heard "Rock the Boat", and songs by The Guess Who and Rick Derringer before. To me, this is the strongest overall month for Dutton Vocalion quad SACDs ever, with three pretty well-known artists represented, and I only hope they can keep it up.

Snood bought the 3 then sprung for the the Jaco....ummm Weather Report stereo toooooooo :rocks

Atta boy, Snood. At these prices how can one afford NOT to pick up Weather Report??? Tired of paying $30 for a single QUAD or Stereo SACD reissue.........D~V to the rescue and Michael Dutton's IMPECCABLE REMASTERING only adds to that sweetened pot.

Remember what we currently pay for a remastered Japanese Blu~Spec and/or SHM~CD?o_O

Last edited:
It seems to me...at the rate DV is going...and now straying into a bit more mainstream "rock" titles....lookout. The future is looking bright for more super fun surprises. Woo hoo!

And the BEST way to support D~V's endeavors is to BUY THEM.....and believe me, in this current market of outrageous prices for hi res music they're literally PRICEBUSTERS!:SG

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Rick+Derringer:+rock+and+roll+hoochie+Coo+you+tube&view=detail&mid=4DC39FDF339F54854E324DC39FDF339F54854E32&FORM=VIRE

Last edited:
They do a really good job of combining the two album covers on most of their release. Trivial yes, but a nice attention to detail.
If Mr.Dutton’s background is easy listening how effective is he at mastering rock and soul?
Just curious, haven’t bought any of the rock discs, yet (so I can’t answr my own question ;) )

Very exciting releases that now put me really, really far behind with DV discs.
It’s got me wondering which ones to get first, are there certain titles in danger of going OOP

They do a really good job of combining the two album covers on most of their release. Trivial yes, but a nice attention to detail.
If Mr.Dutton’s background is easy listening how effective is he at mastering rock and soul?
It’s got me wondering which ones to get first, are there certain titles in danger of going OOP

IMO, ALL of Michael Dutton's remastering jobs, whether Rock/Pop/Jazz/Easy Listening and/or Classical have been FIRST RATE. Unlike some other reissue companies, he doesn't tinker with the Master Tapes and presents them intact with no artificial sweeteners.

Here's a CURRENT list of ALL available D~V Surround SACDs: https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/products.php?cat=2

Since I have NO idea what your musical tastes are, you decide!

If in doubt, I 'm sure you can sample a lot of the artists on YOU TUBE.

Last edited:
Just curious, haven’t bought any of the rock discs, yet (so I can’t answr my own question ;) )

Mike's reissue work over the last 20 years is with a variety of genres including classical and easy listening, but he started out his career at Morgan Studios in London. He was a tape op on Iron Maiden's self-titled first album, Black Sabbath's Never Say Die and Gary Moore's Back On The Streets, and has engineering credits on The Cure's first four albums. So suffice it to say, he probably knows the ins and outs of rock and roll sonics better than all of us combined, and I think these albums are in a safe pair of hands. ;)

Back