Dutton Vocalion April 2018 Surround Sound SACDs (Guess Who, Rick Derringer & The Hues Corporation)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully this stereo only Weather Report done well will pave the way for the albums with quad releases. I think only Mysterious Traveller quad had an sacd release in 2002 on Columbia and looks to be going for crazy money.

Regrettfully, Van, Audio Fidelity recently released Tail Spinning on Stereo SACD and took flak from everyone for not obtaining the QUAD masters. AF's reason: NOT available for license.

Perhaps Dutton Vocalion can release it in QUAD........I'll certainly double dip and buy it since I have the AF Stereo SACD [it does sound excellent]. I read somewhere that the QUAD mix is REVELATORY.

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=11782

Last edited:
Regrettfully, Van, Audio Fidelity recently released Tail Spinning on Stereo SACD and took flak from everyone for not obtaining the QUAD masters. AF's reason: NOT available for license.

Perhaps Dutton Vocalion can release it in QUAD........I'll certainly double dip and buy it since I have the AF Stereo SACD [it does sound excellent]. I read somewhere that the QUAD mix is REVELATORY.

No idea how licences work regarding time and area but D-V did release Musicmagic by RTF a relatively short time after AF did...

When I asked about AF having the Spectrum quad sacd I was told that they no longer had a licence to make more, so what was that, 2-3 years at most?

Anyway I'm happy with what's here and look forward to more, onwards and upwards

Forgot to ask, how is the Zmysterious Traveller quad?

Hopefully this stereo only Weather Report done well will pave the way for the albums with quad releases. I think only Mysterious Traveller quad had an sacd release in 2002 on Columbia and looks to be going for crazy money.

hopefully! the two Weather Report Quads, while different in style of mixing, are both excellent imho., Tale Spinnin' in particular is superb surround sound and one of my most played SQ LPs, just wonderful.

Forgot to ask, how is the Zmysterious Traveller quad?

i'm not Ralph the 4-earredwonder but.. it's great! some lovely performances, the material's strong and the mix is active and immersive without being gimmicky. sound quality on the MultiCh of the old Sony SACD is very good on some tracks but a little bit uneven in one or two places, maybe could benefit from a DV remaster?
if DV were only to do one more WR album Tale Spinnin' in Quad would be 'the one' for me but I'd take whatever they choose to do of the group they're my cup of tea.

hopefully! the two Weather Report Quads, while different in style of mixing, are both excellent imho., Tale Spinnin' in particular is superb surround sound and one of my most played SQ LPs, just wonderful.

Adam, I do believe Michael Dutton will come through with a QUAD SACD of Tail Spinnin'. Have that twitch in my third ear!:alien:

And Mr. Buckley.....get your Leopard suede bell bottoms and Brazilian platform shoes out of mothballs because the Hues Corporation is comin' to London Town!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=The+Hues+Corporation:+Ease+on+down+the+road+you+tube&qpvt=The+Hues+Corporation:+Ease+on+down+the+road+you+tube&view=detail&mid=8141DE18863031827A268141DE18863031827A26&&FORM=VRDGAR:dance

Last edited:
Adam, I do believe Michael Dutton will come through with a QUAD SACD of Tail Spinnin'. Have that twitch in my third ear!:alien:

And Mr. Buckley.....get your Leopard suede bell bottoms and Brazilian platform shoes out of mothballs because the Hues Corporation is comin' to London Town!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=The+Hues+Corporation:+Ease+on+down+the+road+you+tube&qpvt=The+Hues+Corporation:+Ease+on+down+the+road+you+tube&view=detail&mid=8141DE18863031827A268141DE18863031827A26&&FORM=VRDGAR:dance

oh Ralphie! I'd like to know where you got the notion..!! ;)
(now I remember it I do have some old leopard print trousers.. doubt I could squeeze into them now.. but I'll give it a go!)

oh Ralphie! I'd like to know where you got the notion..!! ;)
(now I remember it I do have some old leopard print trousers.. doubt I could squeeze into them now.. but I'll give it a go!)

I was in my best shape when I took to the dance floor and Donna Summers was crooning "Love to Love You Baby" over those Disco speakers.

And now, all we have is FAKE NEWS! Goes great with a plump jelly donut!

No idea how licenses work regarding time and area but D-V did release Musicmagic by RTF a relatively short time after AF did...

When I asked about AF having the Spectrum quad SACD I was told that they no longer had a license to make more, so what was that, 2-3 years at most?

A 2-3 year licensing period is pretty typical for album reissues.
Sounds right.

As promised, here's some of the ephemera I collected in the course of research...Derringer first:

View attachment 32759

look how happy they are! Rick Derringer is especially happy mixing (presumed his or an artist he produced?) music in Quad..!!

but hmm.. August 1974.. i'm curious which of the Blue Sky (or maybe some other label under the CBS umbrella) Quads that might be..!?

can't be "Spring Fever" since we now know that was mixed by Shelly Yakus (who did the amazing Edgar Winter "Jasmine Nightdreams" Quad mix) and it's not "Shock Treatment" (that was mixed by Don Young who also did the fabulous "All American Boy" Quad mix).. hmm.. any thoughts steelydave?

As promised, here's some of the ephemera I collected in the course of research...Derringer first:

What a cool poster in that Columbia quad mixing studio...would love to track one of those down.

Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 10.34.12 AM.png

Hues Corporation

Record World 7/13/1974
View attachment 32772

Billboard 08/03/1974
View attachment 32768

Billboard 10/05/1974
View attachment 32769

Billboard 11/23/1974
View attachment 32770

Cash Box 02/15/1975
View attachment 32771

View attachment 32773View attachment 32774
View attachment 32775

Dave, what does your research show about the differences between the versions of "Rock the Boat" that appear on Freedom for the Stallion and Rockin' Soul, respectively?

look how happy they are! Rick Derringer is especially happy mixing (presumed his or an artist he produced?) music in Quad..!!
Those in-the-studio shots are so great!
but hmm.. August 1974.. i'm curious which of the Blue Sky (or maybe some other label under the CBS umbrella) Quads that might be..!?
The Edgar Winter Group with Rick Derringer, perhaps? (Man, there's another one for the wish list!)

Those in-the-studio shots are so great!
The Edgar Winter Group with Rick Derringer, perhaps? (Man, there's another one for the wish list!)

oh i LOOOOOOVE the EWG w/Rick Derringer album and the Quad is excellent (Diamond Eyes, Paradise/Sides = real beautiful gems) but it didn't come out til the end of 75 so this pic of Rick with Larry and Al from Aug 74 has to be something else.. keep your thinking cap on though, i like your way of thinking!

They do a really good job of combining the two album covers on most of their release. Trivial yes, but a nice attention to detail.
If Mr.Dutton’s background is easy listening how effective is he at mastering rock and soul?
Just curious, haven’t bought any of the rock discs, yet (so I can’t answr my own question ;) )

Very exciting releases that now put me really, really far behind with DV discs.
It’s got me wondering which ones to get first, are there certain titles in danger of going OOP

You can tell by looking at those scans/photo's of the backs of the 3 new quad 2-fers that care and thought were put into the layout and design of those backs. Not only do we see the front and backs of the original album graphics, but instead of just the song titles and copyright notices, there's a lot of in-depth info about the recordings themselves. And - - - it's cool as heck to have our own steelydave involved in the whole process to put that touch of authenticity to the whole thing.

What a top notch, first class, very high value for the money this reissue label is. However they can do this is hard for me to understand, but I sure thing it's not only great, (Insert Tony the Tiger voice here), "It's GREAT!".

I'd like to know where they got the notion? To put out some really good tunes! Unbelievable value/package/service!

Well done DV!!!

I hope they see their uptake over the past 2 days and that pushes the quad community on to a continuation of this level... :phones

Dave, what does your research show about the differences between the versions of "Rock the Boat" that appear on Freedom for the Stallion and Rockin' Soul, respectively?

I delve in to this in the liner notes, but in a nutshell the song was originally recorded for Freedom for the Stallion. After RCA put out the title track as a single (and it did OK) they pushed Miracle Maker as a promo single, but it stiffed and they were ready to give up on promoting the album. However, in late '73 they started hearing from their A&R reps in New York that Rock the Boat had become an underground sensation in the city's gay dance clubs. Disco wasn't really a 'thing' yet, but that's where it started, in the gay clubs of places like NYC and Philadelphia, and DJ's at these clubs were taking two copies of Rock the Boat to loop the middle bars (the buuum-bah-dum - buumm-bah-dump piano/bass/drums part) so they could extend the song and make it more danceable, supposedly for up to 10 or 15 minutes at a time.

The guy that produced Rock the Boat was John Florez, who RCA picked because he'd produced Grazing in the Grass for the Friends of Distinction, and the first version of Boat was very much along the lines of his work with the Friends, vocally driven soul pop that wasn't particularly heavy in the rhythm section. So when he heard about this club success, he took the track and mixed it a second time in early '74, presuming RCA would release it as a single thanks to what the song was doing in the clubs in New York. What he did was basically what we'd now call a disco mix, or a dance re-mix - he pumped up the bass and the rhythm section and created an altogether punchier mix. RCA released the remix as a single and it took a while, but by the summer of '74 disco was starting to happen in the mainstream, and Rock the Boat was one of the first singles that was a big hit as a result, along with George McCrae's Rock Your Baby, and then you start getting stuff like Barry White, KC & The Sunshine Band, etc.

So the single of Rock the Boat, (which was the remix) sold more than 2 million copies by the end of the summer, and it was a hit nearly a year after Freedom for the Stallion came out, so I guess RCA figured they'd put the remixed version on Rockin' Soul (which came out in November), because basically, why not? It probably moved plenty more copies of that LP for them, and the remix version hadn't been on an LP yet. So effectively it's the same studio recording, original version is on Stallion, remixed/hit version is on Rockin' Soul.

John Florez actually has his own youtube channel where he does little video documentary/essay type things, and he did a good one about his time working with The Hues Corporation, which is where I got some of the information for my liner notes. If you're interested in the band, or the process of 'hit-making' back then, it's a pretty interesting watch.

can't be "Spring Fever" since we now know that was mixed by Shelly Yakus (who did the amazing Edgar Winter "Jasmine Nightdreams" Quad mix) and it's not "Shock Treatment" (that was mixed by Don Young who also did the fabulous "All American Boy" Quad mix).. hmm.. any thoughts steelydave?

I looked in to this, and the only conclusion I can come to is that the photo was probably just staged for PR purposes - most likely Keyes is just playing back an already completed quad mix that another engineer did. As you say, we know who did the quad mixes of both of Derringer's solo albums, and the albums that Derringer produced during that period (EWG's They Only Come Out At Night and Shock Treatment, and Johnny Winter's Still Alive and Well and Saints & Sinners) all had their quad mixes done by Don Young. The photo must be from circa '74 because of that 'Columbia Quadraphonic Records and Tapes' poster in the background, it has far too many titles on it for it to be from '72 or before. And they can't be listening to the quad mix of The Edgar Winter Group with Rick Derringer because work on that album didn't start until the summer of 1975, more than a year after the Derringer/Al Lawrence/Larry Keyes photos were published.

You can tell by looking at those scans/photo's of the backs of the 3 new quad 2-fers that care and thought were put into the layout and design of those backs. Not only do we see the front and backs of the original album graphics, but instead of just the song titles and copyright notices, there's a lot of in-depth info about the recordings themselves. And - - - it's cool as heck to have our own steelydave involved in the whole process to put that touch of authenticity to the whole thing.

Credit is very due here to Oliver Lomax, who does the co-ordination for these reissues, and D-V's graphic designer, Paul. Not only do they do a wonderful job (as you point out) they genuinely care about the quality of the end product, and have an interest in getting things right. They're also both really friendly, and open to some of the suggestions I've made - there are no puffed up egos put above getting things as perfect as they can be. I've really enjoyed the process of working with them, and with Mike, and look forward to continuing that in the future!

Back