New Surround Master coming! Its a jump to the left and a step to the right

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There maybe a way around this, such as supplying a USB to HDMI module with it, if you have a suitable micro inside and can write the code to drive a USB 3.1 port.

https://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-thunder...type-c-to-4k-hdmi-2-0-adapter-converter-p9456

• Input: USB 3.1 Type-C connector - Male
  • Output: HDMI Female
  • USB 3.1 Gen 1 Standard
  • Requires DisplayPort Alternate mode
  • Max. resolution: 3840x2160@60Hz 8bit RGB
  • Chipset: Parade PS176
  • HDMI 2.0a compatible, up to 6.0Gbit/sec per TMDS data channel
  • RGB format supported at 8/10/12 bits-per-component
  • YCbCr format supported at 8/10/12 bits-per-component in 4:4:4/4:2:2/4:2:0 pixel format
  • Supports TMDS scrambling for EMI/RFI reduction
  • Supports SCDC (Status and Control Data Channel)
  • Audio output formats: 8-ch LPCM, compressed audio and HBR
  • 24-bit audio sample size, up to 192 kHz sample rate
  • Supports HDCP 1.4 and HDCP 2.2 content protection
  • Powered via USB port, no external PSU port
  • Colour: Black
  • Length (incl. housing): approx. 15 cm

Great find and idea Duncan!!

the super surround preamp was gonna have MM and MC cartridge, optical, HDMI, bluetooth and all sorts of fancy displays including vectorscope and frequency domain stuff
See attached

This one...I want this one with VU meters and everything. VU meters are mesmerizing.

Who was the one who flamed those of us without digital (HDMI) front ends and said that we should have seen it coming? Well, who would have seen THIS coming!!!

SM Super.png

I'm one of the rare QQ type who's a simple folk so I hope my question won't seem too silly.

What are the main differences between V1 and V2? What I really want to know is if I own V1, do I need to get V2 or can I lead a full and Quad happy life without it?

The original SM is perfectly good.....don't stress, the new one just fixes up a bunch of things that shit me!

It’s analog in and out and I assume it’s analog circuitry, right?

The Involve US patents reveal an almost exclusively analog signal chain. Direction sensing is improved over the Sansui method by using RMS and log control voltage generation.

Per patent:
In one form RMS detectors 44, 61 may be implemented on a digital sound processor such as a Texas Instruments TAS 3108 via Pure Path Studio Software.

http://www.ti.com/product/TAS3108

So I see this as a hybrid combo, a great idea. No specific mention is made of VCA's or otherwise gain control devices.

The Involve US patents reveal an almost exclusively analog signal chain. Direction sensing is improved over the Sansui method by using RMS and log control voltage generation.

Per patent:

http://www.ti.com/product/TAS3108

So I see this as a hybrid combo, a great idea. No specific mention is made of VCA's or otherwise gain control devices.

Actually we use the TAS3204 for all the number crunching but extensive use of analogue for the Hilbert transforms, input/ output differential buffering.
See www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tas3204.pdf

The DSP was selected years ago because it has particularly nice D/A and A/D plus it was able to handle all the I/O and had an internal LOG function. Actually the guts of the patent is related to psychoacoustic weighting in comparisons of all input data.....the steering is not dumb like others it discriminates of the actual human hearing perceptions, plus all is triband.

There are no VCA usage as such as all is taken care of in actual digital maths. The original prototype was pure analogue and did use a ton of VCA's......might dig up a photo but it used a ton of discrete IC's

Regards

Chucky

Actually we use the TAS3204 for all the number crunching but extensive use of analogue for the Hilbert transforms, input/ output differential buffering.
See www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tas3204.pdf

The DSP was selected years ago because it has particularly nice D/A and A/D plus it was able to handle all the I/O and had an internal LOG function. Actually the guts of the patent is related to psychoacoustic weighting in comparisons of all input data.....the steering is not dumb like others it discriminates of the actual human hearing perceptions, plus all is triband.

There are no VCA usage as such as all is taken care of in actual digital maths. The original prototype was pure analogue and did use a ton of VCA's......might dig up a photo but it used a ton of discrete IC's

Regards

Chucky

Thanks for the reply. I find this design info fascinating.
I see the TAS3204 has ports for digital audio input. Is it cost feasible to add SPDIF audio input? I would pay a bit extra.

Not sure if it's listed in the new forum...but there is an unconventional way that you might be able to employ....just go into Chucky's profile(he's above on post 11)and click on he number under messages and it will take you back to his second post in 2012....here

Thanks Clint, I will get reacquainted with the old thread!

Back