New Surround Master coming! Its a jump to the left and a step to the right

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TSS was also originally known as The Sweet Spot (Technology). This version of the Surround Master looks awesome!

Like Circular Vibes, I'm interested in the SQ vinyl instead of the SQ script (as a chip option like with the original Surround Master?), but would take either. And like Soundfield, I'm a bit baffled by the Mode knob: are the "4.0" and "5.1" settings using QS decoding, or would a user select the TSS setting for that?

I haven't been keeping up well with the Surround Master project since the QQ upgrade, and cannot find it in the old threads: what are the additional functions/connections that will be on the final, full Surround Master re-release, that will surpass this intermediate model? Because I didn't reach the point of buying the original SM by the time the new model was announced, I've been holding out for the new model. I'm tempted with this intermediate model, but am wondering if I should still hold out for the final, full-blown model.

Not sure if it's listed in the new forum...but there is an unconventional way that you might be able to employ....just go into Chucky's profile(he's above on post 11)and click on he number under messages and it will take you back to his second post in 2012....here

Just messaged him.........dunno

Dave just replied:
"that's Nigel. He emailed me. His thing arrived when I was getting my nut scanned and got forgotten ."
cleardot.gif

Chucky - you shouldn’t have aroused my interest (!) as I’ll probably keep over thinking this product now. At the forefront of my mind at the moment is that I’m not quite sure what you mean by your feature 5 “LED indication of what channels are active”.

Is this simply to indicate that a particular channel is enabled in the selected mode? If so, I'm not sure how useful this would really be to be honest as I would have thought this was obvious from the mode switch legend. Furthermore there is no mode which doesn’t enable the front L & R channels, so those lights would always be on regardless. There is also no surround mode in which the both the rear L & R channels would not be enabled and by definition no 5.1 mode in which both C & LFE lights would not be lit.

Or
Is it the intention that by flickering in response to audio level that they indicate that there is a signal on that channel? I think this would be of more use.

I’m only making the observation because I hate the distraction of arc-light bright blue LEDS in my listening room and invariably end up covering them with black insulating tape unless they are of real value!

hi Chucky and Oddball,

its a long shot.. but.. could there be a switch round the back to "mono-ise" (TM) the rears so that the vocals that bleed from CF to back get cancelled out in SQ mode?

pretty please with five point one frosting on the top!

yours surroundily,
not so secret agent fb 33.333
(codename = bl*wj*b.)

its a long shot.. but.. could there be a switch round the back to "mono-ise" (TM) the rears so that the vocals that bleed from CF to back get cancelled out in SQ mode?

I agree- some kind of "blend" function in the rear channels would really help suppress that lead vocal. Most Columbia quad mixes have so much stereo separation in the rear channels (different instruments solo'd in each rear speaker) that blending them slightly to cancel the out-of-phase lead vocal leakage wouldn't really mess with the intended soundfield too much. It wouldn't have to be completely mono, just slightly blended.

Still, I am very happy with my Surround Master I've had for a few years now. Thanks so much Involve and I'm looking forward to the Preamp!

I agree- some kind of "blend" function in the rear channels would really help suppress that lead vocal. Most Columbia quad mixes have so much stereo separation in the rear channels (different instruments solo'd in each rear speaker) that blending them slightly to cancel the out-of-phase lead vocal leakage wouldn't really mess with the intended soundfield too much. It wouldn't have to be completely mono, just slightly blended.
I'm almost sure Chucky and Oddball can come up with an improvement on the decoding that can fix that.

hi Chucky and Oddball,

pretty please with five point one frosting on the top!

yours surroundily,
not so secret agent fb 33.333
(codename = bl*wj*b.)
Hahaha, Adam dude. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hi Chucky!

Thanks for answering my questions so quickly. I now have 3 more. First, do you have a potential ready date for the new SM? Second, can I pay in advance of release, and thirdly, would you accept it in 3 monthly payments if paid before release? My budget is really tight, but I do not wish to lose out this time. I am hoping Paypal or VISA would be appropriate methods of payment.

Hey Chucky: Many thanks for the great news. The V2 unit looks cool, I want one. Just how will it differ from the upcoming super surround preamp?

PS: Actually, I'd be very happy with just a 4.1 Involve-only version of the V2. I really don't give a fig or a flip for 5.1 or any of the SQ modes, since my main interest is stereo-to-quad synthesis.

PS: Actually, I'd be very happy with just a 4.1 Involve-only version of the V2. I really don't give a fig or a flip for 5.1 or any of the SQ modes, since my main interest is stereo-to-quad synthesis.
I'd be happier with a decoder (all the proposed options) with no preamp capabilities (no level controls, leave them for the preamp).

This would make a less costly product, and avoid the redundancy for most of us that already have a setup with a multichannel preamp or receiver.

Now look what you've started Chucky! If you ask 4 QQers what we think you'll get at least 6 answers - Just get on and make the damn thing!!

Having stumbled upon this I think this just might be the decoder I'm looking for. Missed out on the original SM looking for a step up. I like the case & the controls. I would buy in advance if possible.

Questions about the circuitry infrastructure:

I see it again works off of a 9 volt wall wart. That means soon on there is a resistive voltage divider that splits it into 4.5 Volt for a bi-polar power supply. That always makes for a higher impedance /restricted current power supply. Not good overall.

Or it means a single voltage supply using many DC blocking coupler capacitors. Also not the best. Optimum for audio fidelity is a bi-polar high current tightly regulated power supply as was done in the Sansui QSD-1000. Can you expand on the quality of the power supply design?

The original Involve SM had a stated spec of only 5 v/micro sec slew rate. This is even below the (1980) ubiquitous NE 5532 that has been superseded by a wide margin in modern audio IC's. It was stated that analog audio improvements have been added to SM V2. Could you elaborate more?

Can you tell us if the new V2 is also a three band decoder? Or did I miss that spec?

Thank you in advance for your reply!

It looks nice and tidy. Will the SQ mode be optimised for vinyl? Or possibly switchable between vinyl and non-vinyl modes? Any chance a price has been guesstimated yet? Will it need to be turned off and back on to switch modes? I am very interested as my budget didn't allow for buying the original Surround Master while it was available. I have to say that I am very excited by this news.

Hi we have chatted about this and decided our Vinyl tolerant version of SQ ends up by virtue of the post Involve processing to be a very good match for script also. So we will standardise on the Vinyl SQ version

Regards

Chucky

24/96?

If yes, count me in!!

A couple of indicators to set input levels would be nice.

Bypassing of the output level controls would be nice too. My guess is they would be redundant for most of us.

Internal switching capabilities (high quality relays) with a separate set of stereo outputs would... you know. Maybe automatic switching when the unit is turned off.

And please, socketed firmware chip(s)! (or downloadable).

The knobs will have a center location detent. We have managed to get all except one relay out of the audio path and it will be high quality.

Regards

Chucky

Back