Life in Surround - Surround Music Review and Discussion YouTube Channel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Top 10 Most Popular Surround Albums

I really enjoyed this one. It also motivated me to spring for the Flaming Lips' Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. I picked it up from Keith Ling and it will be arriving to my door tomorrow.

I don't disagree with your assessment of Hotel California, however, I heard it everyday for four months while I was in Army MOS(military occupational specialty) training at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, Texas. Now I can put it on occasionally but, to be honest, it makes me feel like I can check out but I can never leave.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed this one. It also motivated me to spring for the Flaming Lips' Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. I picked it up from Keith Ling and it will be arriving to my door tomorrow.

I don't disagree with your assessment of Hotel California, however, I heard it everyday for four months while I was in Army MOS(military occupational specialty) training at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, Texas. Now I can put it on occasionally but, to be honest, it makes me feel like I can check out but I can never leave.
I hope you really enjoy Yoshimi!
I have songs I both love and hate, drilled in to my brain during Army duty.
Thanks for watching and I'm glad you're getting something out of the channel.

Top 10 Most Popular Surround Albums

Great job my friend...but I would have given an extra addition like you did for FLAMING LIPS to E.L.P.’s “Brain Salad Surgery” the edition that was released by SANCTUARY in 2008.....in my Honest Opinion this 3 disc set 2 CD + SACD blows away the original DVD-A from 2001 and the remix from 2014 by miles....check it out if you get a chance.....I promise you that you won’t be disappointed😀 :51QQ:QQlove:SG

Several members get shout-outs in this one:
@fredblue @JonUrban @4-earredwonder

Dutton-Vocalion Quad SACD Remasters

Just caught your latest video. Mike, you nailed it! D-V should post a link to it on their website. This is a must see for anyone even vaguely thinking about buying from D-V(and that includes stereo only people). SteelyDave in particular would be proud of your accomplishment. If I had to make one criticism I’d say that you gave Ralphie too much credit. Now there’ll be no living with the guy!

Just caught your latest video. Mike, you nailed it! D-V should post a link to it on their website. This is a must see for anyone even vaguely thinking about buying from D-V(and that includes stereo only people). SteelyDave in particular would be proud of your accomplishment. If I had to make one criticism I’d say that you gave Ralphie too much credit. Now there’ll be no living with the guy!
Thanks for the kind words. I hope it helps with D-V's sales. Maybe somebody who knows them can send them the link?
@steelydave should be very proud of his contributions. D-V releases are always more enjoyable with his liner notes. I mention that in the All American Boy review video, but should have in this one too.

I don't think it's ever been suggested that D-V is "partnering" with Rhino/Warner in any capacity. If I recall correctly, there was some discussion on the Eagles' On The Border poll thread back in august, and Jon said something to the effect of "wouldn't it be nice if Rhino and Dutton could get together and make this happen". I don't think that was meant to be interpreted as some sort of announcement. I don't mean to kill the discussion, just don't want people to get their hopes up for something that doesn't appear to be happening.

Great work on the video as always, Mike.

Last edited:
I don't think it's ever been suggested that D-V is "partnering" with Rhino/Warner in any capacity. If I recall correctly, there was some discussion on the Eagles' On The Border poll thread back in august, and Jon said something to the effect of "wouldn't it be nice if Rhino and Dutton could get together and make this happen". I don't think that was meant to be interpreted as some sort of announcement. I don't mean to kill the discussion, just don't want people to get their hopes up for something that doesn't appear to be happening.

Great work on the video as always, Mike.
Hmmm... Wondering now if I should have mentioned the Rhino thing. Didn't really think about it last night. Hopefully no harm, no foul and any collaboration would be most welcome.

Nice job Mike.

As for the Rhino/WB - Dutton-Vocalion, there is nothing cast in stone. I do know that it was talked about here in speculative talk, but as far as I know there is nothing pending or concrete. I do not know what's entailed in licensing "across the pond", but Sony has done it so it would only make sense that WB would.

But alas, that's probably the problem. IT WOULD MAKE SENSE! In our funny little speck of the music world, nothing related to our surround music "hobby" makes sense, otherwise if it did, we'd already have all of those 1970's titles available directly from the source labels.

We're a small market, granted, but we have a very high percentage of purchase in that we purchase what they put out, many times even if we don't like it or don't know it. Crap, we spend $100's to buy a box set when all we want is the damn surround disc! Why someone (other than D-V) hasn't taken advantage of that fact is beyond me.

It seems like trying to get a release out of those big labels is almost impossible.

I am currently spinning D~V's Billy Paul Live in Europe with his rousing LIVE rendition of Me and Mrs Jones to celebrate Baggy's celebration of Dutton Vocalion's remarkable achievements in releasing so many tasty QUAD treats from the vaults of SONY, Universal and their associated labels.

Hopefully, others on the world wide web will get on the Surround Bandwagon and visit their website and fill their empty shopping carts with what I and many others believe are the best deals in Surround SACD releases at present.

As for my PM to Mike while he was LIVE concerning D~Vs 'possible alliance with Rhino Warner ...' that WAS purely speculative and hardly 'fact checked...' so just take that with a grain of salt. Wishful thinking, at best.

But Mike......No CHASE ....... LOVE THAT MAGNIFICENT ALBUM ..... another remarkable 'two fer!' Better Chase that one down.:dance.......belongs in every jazz lover's library. Always wanted that one on hi rez physical disc and D~V did NOT diappoint!

812%2BN7wd9UL._SL1418_.jpg

But Mike......No CHASE ....... LOVE THAT MAGNIFICENT ALBUM ..... another remarkable 'two fer!' Better Chase that one down.:dance.......belongs in every jazz lover's library. Always wanted that one on hi rez physical disc and D~V did NOT diappoint!

812%2BN7wd9UL._SL1418_.jpg
I actually have it! lol
Now I'm wondering how many more D-V's I missed when prepping for the video?!
Maybe a bunch are down at Mum's???

I actually have it! lol
Now I'm wondering how many more D-V's I missed when prepping for the video?!
Maybe a bunch are down at Mum's???

You can always do a Dutton Vocalion Part II video as they've released over 80 QUADS [counting those two~fers] and some of their DISCRETE classical releases from Sony Masterworks should be included, as well. BTW, some of their Henry Mancini two~fers are also worth mentioning and that Doc Severinsen two~fer, as well.

61G-sYbGBwL.jpg

81ARvlDfFXL._SL1400_.jpg

Last edited:
Def. interested in discrete classical!

I'll PM you a list. Some of those D~V Classical titles from SONY are MAGNIFICO! And to be fair, some of those Easy Listening and Country Music titles from D~V are worth mentioning as in a 'democratic society' it's not always what WE like but what's actually available from the Dutton Vocalion website which attempts to appeal to a broader range of listeners. I learned THAT by running a small business. Must try to appeal to EVERYONE!

Def. interested in discrete classical!

I’m not a big fan of classical, but one of my favorite D-V releases to date is the “Boulez Conducts Bartok: Concerto For Orchestra”.

That recording was conceived and specially recorded for quad release. It’s very discrete: the cover actually shows how the instruments are spread around the room. I have the SQ LP and Q8 as well, but this took it to the next level.

Back