Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rechecked the IP address hasn't changed. The routine I follow is with the unit powered off (Sony BDP-S590) I plug the drive into the front containing the AutoScript folder. In the folder are the three files AutoScript, AutoScript.TSS and sacd_extract. When the unit powers on the tray will open and I insert the sacd disc. I tell the unit to power off and the drawer closes and shuts down. I then run SACDExtractGUI with the correct address entered. Says failed to connect, libsacdread: can't open (address):2002 for reading. Thanks for all the help so far.

Few things:
1) The S590 is listed as a compatible SACD ripping machine...so no problem there.
2) My AutoScript folder has AutoScript, AutoScript.TSS and sacd_extract_160. You said that your last file is sacd_extract but without "160."
3) Did you try unplugging the player, waiting about 15 seconds, replugging in the player and starting the process all over again? Whenever I've had "failed to connect" message I found that unplugging and re-plugging in the unit solved the probelm.

One other thing. Your scan shows SACDExtractGUI as the program you are using. Are you using SACD_Extract v3.9? I understand that SACDExtractGUI will not work unless you have SACD_Extract v3.9. When I upgraded to v3.9, I had to compile it myself...an unnerving experience...using instructions provided by Mikey Fresh on the HiFiHaven forum.

I thought that and gave the program permission but no change.
Rechecked the IP address hasn't changed. The routine I follow is with the unit powered off (Sony BDP-S590) I plug the drive into the front containing the AutoScript folder. In the folder are the three files AutoScript, AutoScript.TSS and sacd_extract. When the unit powers on the tray will open and I insert the sacd disc. I tell the unit to power off and the drawer closes and shuts down. I then run SACDExtractGUI with the correct address entered. Says failed to connect, libsacdread: can't open (address):2002 for reading. Thanks for all the help so far.
Hi eddieg69,
I would consider going right back to basics and triple checking that you have all the right components set up as per the instructions at the start of this thread. A pain I know, but it only takes one small element of the process to be incorrect and it messes it all up..
My first thought is to double check the autoscript folder on the usb stick, ensuring that it has all the correct files in it.
Secondly when you insert the usb does the Sony player respond as described and if so, do you then physically power off the machine after inserting the SACD?
It's then down to the GUI programme to take over and start talking to the Sony player.
How do you have your internet connections set up? Is it hard wired to your router?
There is a site I and others have used called Hi- Fi Haven. You may consider reaching out to it's moderator Mickey Fresh, a very helpful chap.
I hope I have given you a few pointers.
But please, don't despair, it can be an initially, daunting experience..as I personally know.
We are all here to help you through this..good luck!!

A big thank you to everyone for all the help. I finally have success. Not sure what worked, I unplugged the player like recommended, got the sacd_extract_160 file instead of the sacd_extract file I had then I just started over. Ripped one first disc "Brothers In Arms". Now on to the next. Just wondering since I removed the usb stick do I just remove the ripped disc and insert the new one and try to rip. Guess I will find out.

I found out, just insert another disc power off and I'm ripping fine. Again a big thank you. Been looking for a Playstation 3 but couldn't find one that was SACD capable. $68 for a like new Sony S590 on Amazon and I'm ripping away. I'm one happy camper as they say. Now just to find all my SACD's.
Yes ping works fine says 3 packets sent and 3 received. Thanks

Last edited:
A big thank you to everyone for all the help. I finally have success. Not sure what worked, I unplugged the player like recommended, got the sacd_extract_160 file instead of the sacd_extract file I had then I just started over. Ripped one first disc "Brothers In Arms". Now on to the next. Just wondering since I removed the usb stick do I just remove the ripped disc and insert the new one and try to rip. Guess I will find out.
Fantastic result eddieg69.
Yep just repeat your first sacd rip and it should continue just like the first one. I suspect the correct auto script solved your problem!!
:QQlove

Feel free to come back anytime and share your success.(y)(y)(y)

It should keep going as long as you don’t delay too long👍

One other thing. Your scan shows SACDExtractGUI as the program you are using. Are you using SACD_Extract v3.9? I understand that SACDExtractGUI will not work unless you have SACD_Extract v3.9. When I upgraded to v3.9, I had to compile it myself...an unnerving experience...using instructions provided by Mikey Fresh on the HiFiHaven forum.
Nice job AR, looks like you solved his issue👍

Thanks. But I just came in from working outside when my wife says the vacuum cleaner is broken and she wants me to fix it. I am so screwed! 🔧🔨
I just bought my wife one of those iRobot vacuums last week (early Mother's Day present), and that little f**ker has been working every day for a week (while she does other stuff)... pretty cool idea if you can't fix the old one :)

OK, so I recieved my Sony BDP-S5100 the other day, purchased off eBay. I followed all the instructions but was still having trouble ripping my first SACD. Blue Oyster Cult "Agents of Fortune" It looked like it was working on the first track but quickly showed [DONE]. All I had to show for it was an empty folder in my Output Directory. Finally I popped in a different SACD, Audio Fidelity's "Bs&T Child is Father to the Man" and away it went! Tried another single layer disc (like the first disc)) "Carole King Tapestry" and again no problem ripping. Has anyoone else had trouble ripping "Agents of Fortune"? I wonder what is different about it?
Anyway the Blu-ray player was a bargain for ripping alone, but I'm also delighted that it's 3D, now I just have to pick up some movies to finally try the 3D feature of my Samsung plasma TV.

OK, so I recieved my Sony BDP-S5100 the other day, purchased off eBay. I followed all the instructions but was still having trouble ripping my first SACD. Blue Oyster Cult "Agents of Fortune" It looked like it was working on the first track but quickly showed [DONE]. All I had to show for it was an empty folder in my Output Directory. Finally I popped in a different SACD, Audio Fidelity's "Bs&T Child is Father to the Man" and away it went! Tried another single layer disc (like the first disc)) "Carole King Tapestry" and again no problem ripping. Has anyoone else had trouble ripping "Agents of Fortune"? I wonder what is different about it?
Anyway the Blu-ray player was a bargain for ripping alone, but I'm also delighted that it's 3D, now I just have to pick up some movies to finally try the 3D feature of my Samsung plasma TV.

IIRC sjcorne (Jonathan) had a problem with Agents of Fortune. For whatever reason, I was able to rip my copy OK (same machine as yours). You gotta be a bit unnerved when the first time you try something new you get thrown off by a quirk that has nothing to do with the process.

I had no problem ripping that disk with the identical player. Not sure if any of this is relevant, but offer it anyway to try to get answer -- my disk has markings on the silver side near the center A0100800166-A511 and 1FP1 L557. It has Sony DACD stamped on it, as well. The flip side of the disk has a red Columbia label. The outer packaging shows 1976, 2001 release dates (presumably the 2001 was for this disk). Barcode is 6 9699-85479-6.

I had no problem ripping that disk with the identical player. Not sure if any of this is relevant, but offer it anyway to try to get answer -- my disk has markings on the silver side near the center A0100800166-A511 and 1FP1 L557. It has Sony DACD stamped on it, as well. The flip side of the disk has a red Columbia label. The outer packaging shows 1976, 2001 release dates (presumably the 2001 was for this disk). Barcode is 6 9699-85479-6.
I experienced the same problem ripping AOF where it created the iso, stereo and multi-track files with 0 bytes. This was done on a Sony 390.
My disk number on the silver side is IFPI 1332 AO1 SUSS 00402A1 1. All the other data you provided is the same on mine. So perhaps the issue is with version I have?
par4ken what disc have you?

I thought that would be a cool perk with the 5100 I bought until I found out the glasses I needed to make it work with my Epson 2030 projector cost over $100 IF I could get a pair. Ouch. 3D movies seem rather plentiful in grocery store and discount department store racks right now.

I experienced the same problem ripping AOF where it created the iso, stereo and multi-track files with 0 bytes. This was done on a Sony 390.
My disk number on the silver side is IFPI 1332 AO1 SUSS 00402A1 1. All the other data you provided is the same on mine. So perhaps the issue is with version I have?
par4ken what disc have you?
Yes I have the same disc number on mine.

IIRC sjcorne (Jonathan) had a problem with Agents of Fortune. For whatever reason, I was able to rip my copy OK (same machine as yours). You gotta be a bit unnerved when the first time you try something new you get thrown off by a quirk that has nothing to do with the process.
Out of all the SACD's I have I had to pick the one that for some reason won't rip. With luck like that I should be buying more lottery tickets!

I thought that would be a cool perk with the 5100 I bought until I found out the glasses I needed to make it work with my Epson 2030 projector cost over $100 IF I could get a pair. Ouch. 3D movies seem rather plentiful in grocery store and discount department store racks right now.
I still have the glasses that came with my TV, I think that the failure of 3D TV stems in part by the need to wear glasses, but it's still a great feature if not for the novelty of it. Newer 4K TV's would be even better for 3D if that feature hadn't been dropped! Yes time to pickup some 3D movies while they are still plentiful and inexpensive.

So - I've acquired a Sony 4100. But I'm getting a problem after this step

Place SACD disc in the tray and power off.

After I turn the player off, and the SACD disappears inside, I can't then ping the IP address. It's like the player is actually off, rather than it being asleep. I'm sure I'm missing a step. Any thoughts beyond "be methodical?"

Back