Stuff that sounds amazing with the Surround Master

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. All

Back again with some more vintage Stereo LP`s

The Mike Curb Congregation A great 4 corner Sound

Untitled_Panorama1.jpg

Some more vintage Ron Goodwin & Orchestra great 4 corner Sound

Untitled_Panorama2.jpg

Organ Sounds & Percusion a great 4 corner sound

Untitled_Panorama3.jpg

Tony Mottola joins the Guitar Underground another great 4 corner sound

Untitled_Panorama4.jpg

Bobby Hackett & Vic Dickenson great 4 corner sound

IMG_0922.JPG

IMG_0924.JPG

I decided to break into the James Taylor Box Set and listened to Sweet Baby James, its sounds great via the SM2 (4.0 setting of course!).

I haven't listened to the pile of surround albums that I've accumulated as I'm having so much fun with my old stereo CDs, I think all surround amps should come with an SM2.

I decided to break into the James Taylor Box Set and listened to Sweet Baby James, its sounds great via the SM2 (4.0 setting of course!).

I haven't listened to the pile of surround albums that I've accumulated as I'm having so much fun with my old stereo CDs, I think all surround amps should come with an SM2.
How does it sound with the SM2 connected to the Smyth Realiser?

For GOS' sake, will someone play Piper At The Gates Of Dawn through SM2? lol.....I need to know....
Working on it right now. So far involve tosses a lot of stuff in the right rear speaker and I have the fronts at a higher dB. I switched from 5.1 to 4.1 because not much was coming through the center channel. Pow R Toc H’s beginning is spread out pretty well in the 4 speakers. The piano is in the right rear plucking away. I had turn down the right both on front and the rear. It’s very immersive and I think the instruments are well spread out. I noticed on some other cds, sometimes a lot of sounds can get saturated in the front. Not here. Pretty good dispersement in my opinion. Take up thy stethoscope and walk in the beginning has the vocal effects in the back and Water’s singing the lyrics in the front. This would be a fun album playing in the pitch dark sipping on your favorite elixir. Very pleased with the sound staging on the fronts with Interstellar Overdrive. Scarecrow starts out in the left rear with the percussion the acoustic guitar comes in nicely on the right. Bike wasn’t as fun as I thought it would be but it’s immersive. Overall pretty good In involve 4.1

I haven't managed to do that yet, though I now have some 3.5mm stereo headphone jacks to phono leads.

One other thing is that as far as I can tell (unless I've missed a setting) I have to connect all my HDMI sources to the A16 and then connect the A16 to my amp via the analogue outputs, no audio is sent to the HDMI output as that is for a TV/Monitor only. So it acts effectively as a pre-amp unless I use HDMI splitters and 5.1 analogue switching for the SM2 o/p to A16 or Amp. I'm not sure I want the A16 on all the time it seems a bit odd!

Connect source out to SM2 analog stereo in>>
SM2 multichannel analog outs to Smyth Realiser analog ins

Then just select your PRIR and headphone-specific HPEQ, plug in your stereo headphones and you’re good to go!

BTW, if your source is a CD/DVD/Blu Ray combo player, you can connect the player’s video out directly via HDMI to your TV’s HDMI video in(it’s probably already set up that way!). The key is that you then must have a player with analog stereo outs to connect to your SM2(which you also probably already have if you’re using an SM2!).

You can also essentially do the same setup using a standalone DAC’s stereo analog outs connected to the SM2(and so on from there), selecting the music more than likely by using your phone or tablet as usual.

Really, it’s child’s play without the Chucky doll LOL!

The new Tool album.

I've noticed in my setup that I get the best results on specifically encoded material with the four corner volume knobs in their center detent positions but get much better results when "upmixing" by raising the rears a bit.

The new Tool album.

I've noticed in my setup that I get the best results on specifically encoded material with the four corner volume knobs in their center detent positions but get much better results when "upmixing" by raising the rears a bit.
The majority of time my fronts are at center detent and the rears are at about 1 o'clock. Main input knob at 12-1. What's really nice though is having the tone controls with the Sansui receiver to compensate, which gets adjusted much more than the volume knobs.

The new Tool album.

Yes. I sometimes raise the rears +2dB using the lazy-man-method...the processor's remote. Whether I do this or not depends on how aggressively the SM v2 sends signals to the rears. There's a cut on The Moody Blues Octave album called One Step Into The Light. On that song I actually have to lower the rears -2dB. The SM v2 just loves sending content to the rears on those MB albums.

I would love to know about that!!
Over the weekend I ripped apart my system and wired in the A16, so I connected the SM2 to its analogue inputs, and my Oppo 203 via HDMI. I could do with more shelves on the rack as I had to move the last of my connected Tape machines (a Sony DAT) to get things in. The story so far! No matter what I set the A16 to I get no audio out of the unit going to my multi-channel i/ps on the amp when I select on the A16 the Analogue line inputs from the SM2, and multi-channel on the amp, it only comes out on the headphones connected to the A16. The Oppo has 2 HDMi o/ps, so I connected 1 to the amp the other to the A16, and this is where the ****ing HDMI DRM causes issues, so the A16 has a higher version of HDMI (2) than the amp (1.4) so the Oppo switches to that format and the Amp doesn't recognise it so blocks its audio. So I can connect to both but only when the A16 is off or switched to another HDMI i/p will I get audio out of the amp, so irritating but not really a problem. No analogue out is, as would need to reconnect the SM2 to the amp each time I want to use it that way. I haven't been able to calibrate the system for my head yet as I've managed to get an ear infection, so I don't want to stick a mic in it until its gone! The SM2 through the A16 does work quite well, but I need to do the calibration and also manipulate some settings, I'll need to adjust speaker angle settings to make the Ls & Rs more behind my head.
Hi-Fi_Front.jpg
Hi-Fi_Back.jpg

Over the weekend I ripped apart my system and wired in the A16, so I connected the SM2 to its analogue inputs, and my Oppo 203 via HDMI. I could do with more shelves on the rack as I had to move the last of my connected Tape machines (a Sony DAT) to get things in. The story so far! No matter what I set the A16 to I get no audio out of the unit going to my multi-channel i/ps on the amp when I select on the A16 the Analogue line inputs from the SM2, and multi-channel on the amp, it only comes out on the headphones connected to the A16. The Oppo has 2 HDMi o/ps, so I connected 1 to the amp the other to the A16, and this is where the ****ing HDMI DRM causes issues, so the A16 has a higher version of HDMI (2) than the amp (1.4) so the Oppo switches to that format and the Amp doesn't recognise it so blocks its audio. So I can connect to both but only when the A16 is off or switched to another HDMI i/p will I get audio out of the amp, so irritating but not really a problem. No analogue out is, as would need to reconnect the SM2 to the amp each time I want to use it that way. I haven't been able to calibrate the system for my head yet as I've managed to get an ear infection, so I don't want to stick a mic in it until its gone! The SM2 through the A16 does work quite well, but I need to do the calibration and also manipulate some settings, I'll need to adjust speaker angle settings to make the Ls & Rs more behind my head.
View attachment 43123View attachment 43124
Love it, Love it, Love it- gear and wires up the gazoo:cool:

View attachment 43123View attachment 43124
I finally got the A16 to output from the 16 channel analogue, I hadn't set the right software switch. The problem I now have is that the signal level is so low its barely audible! So I need to find what else I haven't switched on in the A16 settings 😬

Back