The Beatles - Abbey Road 50th Anniversary (5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the U.S., UMG/Capitol has been running national television ads for the 50th Anniversary edition of Abbey Road toting the newly remastered STEREO EDITION but there is NO mention of the newly remixed 5.1/ATMOS remix by Giles Martin and Sam Okell.

IMO, an egregious omission!

Its the 27th here in AU. These are in stock from JBHiFi just down the road (1km away). $175AU :eek:
For the QQ members living in Melbourne, I've just purchased this from BasementDiscs for $155AU! Great! I think they only have 2/3 copies left. It was quite a surprise to find it in stock for this price!
Now going to listen...

I thought Abbey Road was also 8-track? And for Sgt. Pepper, didn't Giles have access to all the pre-bounced tapes? (Fun read on the Sgt. Pepper remix here)

That is a great read--it makes me more sympathetic re:what's widely regarded as the "tameness" of the Pepper 5.1 mix. But it does answer your question (in the affirmative) about the pre-bounced tapes. And it really makes me want to hear the Atmos mix.

Abbey Road Atmos notes
I have a 7.2.4 system. I attempted to isolate the sounds mixed to the ceiling speakers to try and give an idea what the Atmos speakers are doing. I lowered the 7.2 speaker volume levels as low as my AVR will go, -12 dB. I raised the .4 ceiling speakers to +4.0 dB. Unfortunately, I could still hear the 7.2 speakers very quietly so some sounds may have come from the lower speakers but I did try to verify the sounds were from the ceiling speakers.

It is hard to describe how the Atmos mix differs from the 7.1 mix. The sound field is definitely higher/taller than the 7.1 base speakers. I use Audyssey to set the distance and levels I turn off Dynamic EQ and Volume and have MultiEQ XT32 set to Flat. The mix I get in my chair is unlike anything I’ve experienced before. I attribute this mainly to the precise timing of sounds reaching my ears but surely the EQ’d sound quality adds to this effect too. I believe the description of a sound bubble around your head is pretty accurate. The addition of the ceiling speakers adds to this effect. I would also say that the sounds don’t sound blurred or diffused, just placed around your head. I suppose that would really depend on how the sounds were mixed though.

Anyway, here are my notes for what was sent to the ceiling speakers.

Come Together: some vocals. Shhh with reverb moving to the rear. A little hi hat. Rhythm guitar on chorus. Lead guitar on solo. A little electric piano.

Something: little lead guitar, lead vocal, organ, drums top end, strings, hi hat and crash cymbals.

Maxwell’s Silver Hammer: hi hats, chorus clang clang, chorus lead vocal, moog synth, organ,slight lead guitar, chorus oooo da da do vocals, lead guitar, piano, cymbals, backing Maxwell must go free.

Oh! Darling: some rhythm guitar, some hi hat, cymbals, backing Ahhs oohs, some break guitar single arpeggio notes, piano

Octopus’s Garden: some guitar, piano, ooh oh backing vocals, under water garglely backing vocals.

I Want You: lead guitar, melody guitar, organ, picked guitar during She so..
Lead guitar, shhh static sound moving around at the end.

Here Comes The Sun: moog melody, strings, hi hat. Sun, sun, sun here it comes backing vocals, moog, some acoustic guitar.

Because: some harpsichord, ah vocals, some of the main vocals with reverb, moog.

You Never Give Me Your Money: some lead vocal and doubled vocals, backin vocals with reverb, hi hat, bells, ahhh vocals, 1234567 all good... vocals, bells, crickets.

Sun King: crickets, some picked/strummed guitar, ahh vocals, lead vocal

Mean Mr Mustard: rhythm guitar stabs, tambourine, hi hats

Polythene Pam: rhythm guitar, 3 main three blind mice chords, ah vocals, yeah yeah yeah backing vocals, descending guitar line to next song

She Came In Through The Bathroom Window: backing ah ooh vocals, percussion.

Golden Slumbers: some strings, some high drums

Carry That Weight: some orchestra, lead guitar, some crash cymbals, and lead guitar into next song

The End: some cymbals, some drums, rhythm guitar before and during leads, the 3rd (center channel) lead player, piano, vocals, strings, backing vocals.

Her Majesty: guitar and vocals moving around the room.

David H

Well my copy has just unexpectedly turned up from amazon.fr :LBbut as I'm just about to set off to visit my mother who is not very well in hospital :( and I'm up there for the whole week, it'll have to wait, but at least I have something to look forward to for next weekend :)
Hope your visit lifts her spirits Duncan. Got far to travel?

Well my copy has just unexpectedly turned up from amazon.fr :LBbut as I'm just about to set off to visit my mother who is not very well in hospital :( and I'm up there for the whole week, it'll have to wait, but at least I have something to look forward to for next weekend :)
@DuncanS our prayers and best wishes for your Mom. I know that you’ll be fully present for every moment of your visit with her. Abbey Road will still be there when you return home.

On the subject of track counts, the Beatles often used tape to tape reduction mixes to increase available tracks for recording. For example, using two four track machines, they could record 4 tracks on one machine, and then mix those 4 tracks to one track on a second, giving them three more tracks to record on. Essentially a 7 track recording. This was the way up until about 2/3 of the way through the White Album, when they started to use an 8 track machine.

With Abbey Road, much of the album was recorded exclusively on 8 track, without many reduction mixes, which is one reason why it’s their highest fidelity recording.

In the U.S., UMG/Capitol has been running national television ads for the 50th Anniversary edition of Abbey Road toting the newly remastered STEREO EDITION but there is NO mention of the newly remixed 5.1/ATMOS remix by Giles Martin and Sam Okell.

Man the more I think about that, the more of an ass burner it is! These corporate marketing decisions speak volumes as to the label’s core beliefs and lack of vision. If it’s not even mentioned on one of the most influential recordings ever, then not sure how all this is gonna go. I need my morning coffee 🤬

I heard a radio ad for the deluxe set and they mentioned that it was mixed for Dolby Atmos. No mention of 5.1 or 7.1 surround. I ordered my copy yesterday, but I won't get to hear It in surround until I get my blu ray player back from Oppo service.
Such horrible suffering.

Last edited:

Yeah...you'd think that if Dolby and UMe are so hot to promote Atmos, this would be their showcase recording for a huge rollout. (Maybe Giles's mix doesn't sound quite as mindblowing on a soundbar or an Echo as it does on a bona fide sound system...?)

Last edited:
Back