Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love & Rockets Blu-ray

Attachments

• IMG_20191215_094112.jpg
    IMG_20191215_094112.jpg
    757.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20191215_093609.jpg
    IMG_20191215_093609.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 75
What do you think of the 5.1? I think some were unhappy that it's not discrete, right?
To me it sounds like a quad. turned into 5 channel.
I think they did a great job on it:
Dry lead vocal in center, other vocals fronts, bass & drums fronts, guitar left surround & keyboards right surround. The bass is outstanding.
I find it discrete. Especially for live......

To me it sounds like a quad. turned into 5 channel.
I think they did a great job on it:
Dry lead vocal in center, other vocals fronts, bass & drums fronts, guitar left surround & keyboards right surround. The bass is outstanding.
I find it discrete. Especially for live......
Hmmm. Wonder what the fuss was then?
Which smaller set does it come in?

Damn. That's not the one with Echoes in quad? Both in one set would have been an auto purchase for me. Now I have to think long and hard...
It is rather hard to justify but I loved that movie so much that I had to have it. I can honestly say that I like this version of Echoes as much as I like the quad. Have never heard the 5.1. The David Gilmour live in Gdansk version is a close 2nd for me. Phil Manzanera adds alot and it's great to see Richard Wright again. May he rest in peace....

It is rather hard to justify but I loved that movie so much that I had to have it. I can honestly say that I like this version of Echoes as much as I like the quad. Have never heard the 5.1. The David Gilmour live in Gdansk version is a close 2nd for me. Phil Manzanera adds alot and it's great to see Richard Wright again. May he rest in peace....
Hmmm...

My first listen through this 2013 Blu-ray Audio mix

View attachment 44635 the Who Tommy

Quite different from the 2003 Townshend mix I'm used to (on SACD). I've only seen the Who live post-Moon (not to be taken away), so it's a treat to hear him bashing away behind me and slightly to the left. Keith, I Can Hear You!
I think I have the sacd or DVDA. Is this more betterer?

I think I have the sacd or DVDA. Is this more betterer?
The discussion on the blu-ray poll sums up the differences. As I noted, this is my first time through, so I'm liking it more betterer because it's fresh and new to my ears (and crisper and clearer and cleaner and more crankable). Some QQers do not like the drums (mostly) isolated left rear. It doesn't throw me off--in fact, as I noted, I'm loving being able to focus in on Keith. And I'm also able to hear nuances from Pete that I don't recollect (he's front right). I'll need to break out the SACD to A-B, but for now, I'm in concurrence. And speaking of which

1576453466706.png
Iceland Symphony Orchestra Concurrence

DAMN! All you Atmos kids must be in 11.1 Heaven! Huge Props to @humprof for starting this thread!

Last edited:
Back