Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5.1 has been a revelation, I only wish I joined the team years ago. Guess I will change my avatar to reflect my plans for the winter
audio.png

standing in the shadows of MOTOWN - The Funk Brothers and Guests
This is a live DVD-V in 6.1 DTS-ES.
Typical live mixing with ambience in the rears (I assume the 7th channel is incorporated into the rears, as I only play up to 5.1 on my systems?)
But if you haven't seen this film, seek it out, really special IMO.
The performance by Joan Osborne of "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted" is a show stopper that will melt you!

Here's the wiki on 6.1 DTS-ES:
DTS-ES Discrete provides 6.1 discrete channels, with a discretely recorded (non-matrixed) center-surround channel; in home theater systems with a 7.1 configuration, the two rear-center speakers play in mono. To maintain compatibility with DTS decoders which do not support DTS-ES, the center-surround channel is also matrixed into the left and right surround channels, so that the rear center channel's sound is still present when played in 5.1 on a non-ES system; an ES decoder removes the matrixed audio from these two channels when playing back DTS-ES Discrete soundtracks. DTS-ES Discrete is sometimes notated as DTS-ES 6.1. Only a few DVD titles have been released with DTS-ES Discrete.

View attachment 44672
Damn straight, Pupster. A fantastic homage to an incredible group of musicians. James Jamerson - I mean DAYUM! And Joan’s performance of Brokenhearted still blows my mind 15 years later!

standing in the shadows of MOTOWN - The Funk Brothers and Guests
This is a live DVD-V in 6.1 DTS-ES.
Typical live mixing with ambience in the rears (I assume the 7th channel is incorporated into the rears, as I only play up to 5.1 on my systems?)
But if you haven't seen this film, seek it out, really special IMO.
The performance by Joan Osborne of "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted" is a show stopper that will melt you!

Here's the wiki on 6.1 DTS-ES:
DTS-ES Discrete provides 6.1 discrete channels, with a discretely recorded (non-matrixed) center-surround channel; in home theater systems with a 7.1 configuration, the two rear-center speakers play in mono. To maintain compatibility with DTS decoders which do not support DTS-ES, the center-surround channel is also matrixed into the left and right surround channels, so that the rear center channel's sound is still present when played in 5.1 on a non-ES system; an ES decoder removes the matrixed audio from these two channels when playing back DTS-ES Discrete soundtracks. DTS-ES Discrete is sometimes notated as DTS-ES 6.1. Only a few DVD titles have been released with DTS-ES Discrete.

View attachment 44672

the Deluxe Edition 2CD set of this one has some amazing isolated elements from the mastertapes.

also, might be worth mentioning just in case, do you have all the Motown Greatest Performances DVDs already?

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/for...collection-sacd-dvd-a.4168/page-5#post-209096
"what's this old world comin' to
things just ain't the same
anytime the Pupster
gets captured by the game..."

🐶

Back