Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cannot stop playing this disc and what do you know straight in with a bullet at no2

Attachments

• earth wind.jpg
    earth wind.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 90
So, what is the fidelity on the Hawkwind earlier albums? I'd love to search some out.

Did my usual, and went to Discogs, and compared various versions according to price / evaluation. Your results may differ, but I do believe I got away with the best sounding cheaper versions (hint: Parlophone. Think Tull). Have the first and second recordings, and also the two-CD live SPACE RITUAL. That was an interesting choice, as there are the originals with studio overdubs, and also versions with just the live tracks. Went with the studio overdubs.

Quite happy with the lot! As I near retirement, I am, like a hobbit with food, "filling in the corners."

All that said, nothing matches SW's WARRIOR! Duh.

Ah, CD. I was thinking vinyl!!

Sigh, my wallet studiously avoids that alternative. Anyway, as a child of the <mumble, mumble> vinyl era, been there, done that. CD / SACDs / Blu ray fill my need and don't have crackles and pops, or extremely heavy weights and storage issues. What sublime but expensive formats I don't hear won't hurt me (in theory) :rolleyes: .

Did my usual, and went to Discogs, and compared various versions according to price / evaluation. Your results may differ, but I do believe I got away with the best sounding cheaper versions (hint: Parlophone. Think Tull). Have the first and second recordings, and also the two-CD live SPACE RITUAL. That was an interesting choice, as there are the originals with studio overdubs, and also versions with just the live tracks. Went with the studio overdubs.

Quite happy with the lot! As I near retirement, I am, like a hobbit with food, "filling in the corners."

All that said, nothing matches SW's WARRIOR! Duh.
I'm a big Hawkwind fan. After Lemmy left I prefer the lineups with my pal Alan Davey on bass.
My favorites are the "big band" (including Simon House, Tim Blake) live shows 2000-2002.
3 or 4 different Keyboards, Synths/ Violins all producing a wall of sound.
My favorites are:
Canterbury Faire - Spaced out in London - Yule Ritual.

Back