Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Minnie Riperton ‎– Perfect Angel / Adventures In Paradise as a two-fer if they fit.

I think this was already discussed a while back.

i'd adore that.
two wee flies in the ointment, one they are under Universal's control in the UK rather than Sony, which may not be a problem if UMG let DV have them 🤷‍♀️
potential barrier two is that Universal did a Deluxe Edition of Perfect Angel recently.
we shall see! fingers crossed for a good outcome 🤞

Any of the Aristas would be great. The two-fer Melissa Manchester, a two-fer or three-fer of Barry Manilow, I would be OK with Tony Orlando & Dawn's Greatest Hits as a single disc BUT I would also add just for fun, could the two songs that appear on Quadra-mono get remixed for the first time?

Breckers, Outlaws, Eric Carmen.... any of those would be great.

On the topic of Coumbia titles.... how about the two Janis Ian titles that were SQ only? Would be another first time available in discrete!

hope its just a rotten rumour but i'd heard the Arista Quad tapes were MIA 😢

Janis Ian controls her own catalogue, so if she's on board with it we're good to go! 🤞

Give me! Wasn’t Remember The Future released in quad too? I know there’s a 5.1 but that one isn’t very discrete.
I have the SACD of it and it sounds really good. I believe it's the original Quad. Need to listen again

I have the SACD of it and it sounds really good. I believe it's the original Quad. Need to listen again
The SACD I have is the Quad version "manipulated" into 5.1.
It is also no-noised.
I still like it though.
I set the center channel to none and use the EQ to boost the 16k frequency.

I always wondered why no Paul Simon or Piano Man and Janis Joplin hasn't been released yet. I was also hoping about the Arista quads as well. These discussed here are fantastic titles and there's probably more to add. Let's just hope to see some soon.

i would've thought Piano Man and Pearl were doable, Paul Simon's said to be problematic.

The SACD I have is the Quad version "manipulated" into 5.1.
It is also no-noised.
I still like it though.
I set the center channel to none and use the EQ to boost the 16k frequency.
I don’t know why they didn’t label it as a quad mix. I remember the first time playing that 2004 SACD. At first I thought there was something wrong with my av receiver.

I always wondered why no Paul Simon or Piano Man and Janis Joplin hasn't been released yet. I was also hoping about the Arista quads as well. These discussed here are fantastic titles and there's probably more to add. Let's just hope to see some soon.

Paul Simon controls his own catalog and he needs to personally sign off on certain publishing. Some say he's not a fan of the Quadraphonic mixes as they were never approved by him.

Janis Joplin needs to be run through the estate. Generally speaking, they're pretty accommodating but other companies have also been releasing things. I seem to recall there being a 40th anniversary edition of Pearl, with outtakes but stereo only. I'm sure once the publishing contract is up on that one, something new could come down the pipe.

Piano Man.... AF abstained because another company had acquired the rights to it (Mobile Fidelity?) but that should be near expiry soon.

I'm not privvy to anything contractual, obviously, so this is mostly speculation.

There have been a couple of previous posts by Shakti and Clint Eastwood on this, but I'd add another vote for Mahavishnu Orchestra Apocalypse as a candidate.
<iframe width="376" height="282" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It must have been recorded in separate tracks for the (multiple?) orchestra and main band parts, is in the right date range for people to have at least considered a quad mix (which may have influenced the separate track choices mentioned), and was released on Columbia.
Does anyone know background on this one? Are the source masters still extant? Is there some other obvious dealbreaker? After all, London Symphony, Michael Tilson Thomas, Jean-Luc Ponty, George Martin, and Mahavishnu itself are all names that have their own fans and followers.

Last edited:
There have been a couple of previous posts by Shakti and Clint Eastwood on this, but I'd add another vote for Mahavishnu Orchestra Apocalypse as a candidate.
<iframe width="376" height="282" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It must have been recorded in separate tracks for the (multiple?) orchestra and main band parts, is in the right date range for people to have at least considered a quad mix (which may have influenced the separate track choices mentioned), and was released on Columbia.
Does anyone know background on this one? Are the source masters still extant? Is there some other obvious dealbreaker? After all, London Symphony, Michale Tilson Thomas, Jean-Luc Ponty, George Martin, and Mahavishnu itself are all names that have their own fans and followers.

I don't remember ever seeing this title as one that had any Quad workings?

Back