Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like the record companies are trying to get us to dump our discs and do streaming. I hope I’m wrong but the majority of all these new Atmos mixes have not appeared on disc form to date. This saves the record companies money but the artists lose money.

Personally, I have not been too happy with the type of music that has come out on disc format for the past few years. Plus, the quality and mixes are all over the place with many releases more so now than in the past, not to mention that not too many of my favorite artists I listen to are not being released on disc format. I’m getting to the point that I need to stop purchasing music that I don’t play or only play once or twice, then it sits there. Many times, I’ve come close to turning my back on any future surround releases and listening to stereo music only because this has been about 85-90% of what I’ve listened to in the past few years. I use two systems. One multi-channel and one two-channel. My two-channel system sounds so much better.

Yes, Even not being a hard audiophile, If Stereo system sounds better than multichannel system, Stereo is preferred.

I had the opportunity to build the Atmos/Auro Home Theater from scratch, total renovation of the living room, with wife collaboration. And put all surround and height speakers as best as I could. Big investment, but as I always say, amortizing not with films, but with music.

¿Ya tienes ATMOS en casa???

I've got:

Main House:
- Atmos 9.1.4 / Auro-3D 13.1 in the Home Theater (122'' screen/Projector)
- 5.1 in the Office Working room.
- 2.0 in the KItchen with Video 3D ZONE2 AVR (same in-ceiling speakers as Atmos in the Home Theater)
- 2.0 in the Bathroom (same in-ceiling speakers as Atmos in the Home theater) (My wife loves this)
- All centralized music/film sources from PC/NAS and from mobiles/bluetooth.

Summer House:
- 5.1 in the Living Room (65'' OLED) Not yet but will try to convince wife to put height speakers to enable Atmos 5.1.4

So, now living in summer house till end September. Missing something.....

It looks like the record companies are trying to get us to dump our discs and do streaming. I hope I’m wrong but the majority of all these new Atmos mixes have not appeared on disc form to date. This saves the record companies money but the artists lose money.

Personally, I have not been too happy with the type of music that has come out on disc format for the past few years. Plus, the quality and mixes are all over the place with many releases more so now than in the past, not to mention that not too many of my favorite artists I listen to are not being released on disc format. I’m getting to the point that I need to stop purchasing music that I don’t play or only play once or twice, then it sits there. Many times, I’ve come close to turning my back on any future surround releases and listening to stereo music only because this has been about 85-90% of what I’ve listened to in the past few years. I use two systems. One multi-channel and one two-channel. My two-channel system sounds so much better.
Oh boy Jeffrey, you have hit everything on the head with a big hammer.
I installed the Apple 4K box a few days ago, and have not even gone near my ripped music.
#1 having listened to Tidal in Atmos for quite awhile, the Apple 4K Atmos albums and playlists kills Tidal in both selection and audio quality, a much stronger signal with Apple 4K-Apple music.
I just finished listening to Dolby Atmos from the Sgt Peppers album which was only released as a box set with 5.1. What a treat it is to get the same in Dolby Atmos. And you get lyrics on all, big plus. I have the lyrics feature on with my JRiver software, works great.
Shit, I am a little nervous actually that I will lose my desire to listen to my ripped music library while there is an incredible amount of music in 24/48 lossless quality with Apple music playing via Apple 4K tied (HDMI) into my main rig.
Hopefully I am just experiencing a new GREAT TOY, that will subside in the future.
I have already listened to many songs in Atmos that I don't see being available in any kind of surround, EVER.
Regarding purchasing, at $15.00 a month subscription for Apple 4K with Apple Music, that's two 16/44.1 CD's on a good day.

Shit, I am a little nervous actually that I will lose my desire to listen to my ripped music library while there is an incredible amount of music in 24/48 lossless quality with Apple music playing via Apple 4K tied (HDMI) into my main rig.
You are not alone there, every week it's like Xmas, with new and better and better, Dolby Atmos mixes available.
Not in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would be getting so much fun again with surround music.
:LB :LB :LB :LB :LB

You are not alone there, every week it's like Xmas, with new and better and better, Dolby Atmos mixes available.
Not in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would be getting so much fun again with surround music.
:LB :LB :LB :LB :LB
And I have to thank you as you are really good to follow with all the little tricks, listening to 3 Doors Down, When I'm Gone, WOW, great.
I got to get off my ass and get to gym.
Whoops, Silent Lucidity in ATMOS, oh my.

I installed the Apple 4K box a few days ago, and have not even gone near my ripped music.
#1 having listened to Tidal in Atmos for quite awhile, the Apple 4K Atmos albums and playlists kills Tidal in both selection and audio quality, a much stronger signal with Apple 4K-Apple music.
I just finished listening to Dolby Atmos from the Sgt Peppers album which was only released as a box set with 5.1. What a treat it is to get the same in Dolby Atmos. And you get lyrics on all, big plus. I have the lyrics feature on with my JRiver software, works great.
Hopefully I am just experiencing a new GREAT TOY, that will subside in the future.
I have already listened to many songs in Atmos that I don't see being available in any kind of surround, EVER.
Regarding purchasing, at $15.00 a month subscription for Apple 4K with Apple Music, that's two 16/44.1 CD's on a good day.
You sound like an advertisement. Don’t make me go streaming! :love:

But seriously folks…I’ve been contemplating my current situation with the way I purchase and play music. Sometimes I think I want to sell off my multi-channel collection plus all my other discs including my ‘Live’ concert videos and just watch and listen to stuff through my Apple TV 4K. My space is really lacking for storing these discs and videos anymore. I’ve even revisted getting a vinyl turntable again since I have 4 vinyl records I can listen to. Lately, it’s been very confusing because I like to see and touch my music but no longer want to spend the money on getting and storing it. And, like I stated earlier, I listen to a lot of the stuff I purchase only once or twice, or once or twice a year. 🤪

The Killers - Pressure Machine
8F725B2B-05B3-486B-887D-AAF11434864F.jpeg

Apple Music - Pressure Machine (Abridged) by The Killers
Tidal (I think) - https://tidal.com/album/194159376

Great album, loving the tunes - The Killers are really on form here. Reminds me of Springsteen.

And… the Atmos mix is brill! 😎 Fully involving the rear channels and very active and immersive. Love it!

Mix credited to Kenny Kaiser on Tidal. What a great job he did…

And I have to thank you as you are really good to follow with all the little tricks, listening to 3 Doors Down, When I'm Gone, WOW, great.
I got to get off my ass and get to gym.
Whoops, Silent Lucidity in ATMOS, oh my.
Interesting about 3 Doors Down on AM. I need to revisit “When I’m Gone” .. a couple weeks ago the boomy bass coming from my system on this track was almost unlistenable. I’ll have to try it again and see if things have changed.

Last edited:
Let this be a lesson:

I recently decided to switch to Apple music from Qobuz due to being able to listen in 5.1 to many of the titles (They sound great ever without the ATMOS). I started to choose albums to add to my library with the Apple Music website. Unfortunately, I also had my iPad open to Apple Music. I did not realize it at the time but on the iPad app there is a little button in settings that says "Automatic Downloads". It was in the on position (which I think is the default). Imagine my surprise when I checked my internet usage this morning and found that I had downloaded 308GB on to my iPad just yesterday alone.. Luckily I have 1TB of storage but I basically DL'ed 7 days of average use in one day. I am allowed 1280GB per month but I have 19 days left to go....

So if you're using an iPad as well as the box like I am.. be careful.

I am enjoying Apple Music and it’s Atmos offerings. The only issue is that I can’t play and/or convert downloaded Atmos tracks for playback in my Acura. I tried using EaseUS MobiMover to transfer downloaded songs on my iPhone to my Windows PC but the software doesn’t allow those files to be copied. :cautious:

I am late…and a bit reluctant to try this (since I have spent the last 2 years & a small fortune accumulating physical releases)…but do you need an Apple TV to stream Atmos, or do they have something like a Roku that allows you to do it?
Thanks (I think…)

I am late…and a bit reluctant to try this (since I have spent the last 2 years & a small fortune accumulating physical releases)…but do you need an Apple TV to stream Atmos, or do they have something like a Roku that allows you to do it?
Thanks (I think…)
A Firestick4K will give you Atmos from Tidal,but for Apple Music you must have a ATV4K.

A Firestick4K will give you Atmos from Tidal,but for Apple Music you must have a ATV4K.
I see. Thank you.
At a glance, the ATV 4K seems to operate like a Firestick or Roku…you just need a 4K TV and a proper HDMI cable (and an Apple Music subscription), correct?
I am hoping it is not that easy, because then I will really feel foolish for all the money I have spent on SACD’s, DTS CD’s, DVD-Audio, Blu-Ray Pure Audio, etc 🤯

I see. Thank you.
At a glance, the ATV 4K seems to operate like a Firestick or Roku…you just need a 4K TV and a proper HDMI cable (and an Apple Music subscription), correct?
I am hoping it is not that easy, because then I will really feel foolish for all the money I have spent on SACD’s, DTS CD’s, DVD-Audio, Blu-Ray Pure Audio, etc 🤯
I think the Apple 4K is just another tool and useful item to experience. Going forward, I myself wonder which path I will take. I don't think you should worry about money you have spent as it is yours and will always be there. It is quite apparent that the Atmos releases will come and go over time. This has been the case so far. Also, for instance the new 5.1 Mr. Big release on SACD only has one song in Atmos, the rest only in stereo, so that one SACD disc is better.
I can speak for myself, definitely in a learning curve right now, studios included. We are in an era of when Mono to Stereo was happening, now in an era of stereo to spatial audio (Dolby Atmos) as some might call it.

I think the Apple 4K is just another tool and useful item to experience. Going forward, I myself wonder which path I will take. I don't think you should worry about money you have spent as it is yours and will always be there. It is quite apparent that the Atmos releases will come and go over time. This has been the case so far. Also, for instance the new 5.1 Mr. Big release on SACD only has one song in Atmos, the rest only in stereo, so that one SACD disc is better.
I can speak for myself, definitely in a learning curve right now, studios included. We are in an era of when Mono to Stereo was happening, now in an era of stereo to spatial audio (Dolby Atmos) as some might call it.
Thanks for your feedback.
If I am reading correctly, Apple Music is not releasing complete albums in Atmos - just certain tracks.
That makes me feel a little better…
I still may eventually check it out…I will watch this space for more comments 👀

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back