Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Apple 4K is just another tool and useful item to experience. Going forward, I myself wonder which path I will take. I don't think you should worry about money you have spent as it is yours and will always be there. It is quite apparent that the Atmos releases will come and go over time. This has been the case so far. Also, for instance the new 5.1 Mr. Big release on SACD only has one song in Atmos, the rest only in stereo, so that one SACD disc is better.
I can speak for myself, definitely in a learning curve right now, studios included. We are in an era of when Mono to Stereo was happening, now in an era of stereo to spatial audio (Dolby Atmos) as some might call it.
Last I played Mr.Big all the album tracks were in Atmos,the bonus tracks are stereo only.

Thanks for your feedback.
If I am reading correctly, Apple Music is not releasing complete albums in Atmos - just certain tracks.
That makes me feel a little better…
I still may eventually check it out…I will watch this space for more comments 👀
Apple Music has many albums complete in Atmos, new and old, I was just giving an example of one release. On the flip side of that the Beatles Sgt Pepper box set is released in 5.1 only, but Atmos music has a few tracks in Atmos, beautiful they are.
I as I write to you am listening to some jazz full albums in Atmos. Currently Horace Silver Song For My Father, now jazz can be a little tricky as it works wonderfully in stereo, this one that I am listening to is a little weird as it is very much stereo with active heights, the center, L/R rears are almost non existent, but yet it works beautifully.

Apple Music has many albums complete in Atmos, new and old, I was just giving an example of one release. On the flip side of that the Beatles Sgt Pepper box set is released in 5.1 only, but Atmos music has a few tracks in Atmos, beautiful they are.
I as I write to you am listening to some jazz full albums in Atmos. Currently Horace Silver Song For My Father, now jazz can be a little tricky as it works wonderfully in stereo, this one that I am listening to is a little weird as it is very much stereo with active heights, the center, L/R rears are almost non existent, but yet it works beautifully.
Sgt. Pepper - the whole album is in Atmos

OK, I found out how to find whole albums with Apple 4K, sorry for being such a newbie, but I am this week.
When in Apple Music go to >Browse> Down towards the bottom, scroll down, to Browse By Category>select your choice> tons of albums of course, there is a line that has Spatial Audio, for instance R&B in Spatial Audio, or Jazz in Spatial Audio, not every catergory has anything in Spatial Audio, but the biggees all do.

Geez, I am really falling behind. I see the playlists and I assume wrongly, I'll get it figured out.
Is there a way to search for whole albums in Atmos?
The way I do it is by trial and error. If you see a track you like on an Atmos playlist in Apple Music, you can click on Go To Album, then see if the rest of the album is in Atmos. A bit of a pain really but worth it if you want to get the most out of it.

Otherwise, I just keep checking these threads and let you all do the discovery work for me!

Listening now Apple 4K Dolby Atmos Lee Morgan, Cornbread, 24/48, DR's unknown. All speakers working very nice and active. This Atmos release is what I would call the bubble effect, nothing special coming from anywhere, just a bubble of sound, quite relaxing.
71c4ESn9gBL._SX522_.jpg

I see. Thank you.
At a glance, the ATV 4K seems to operate like a Firestick or Roku…you just need a 4K TV and a proper HDMI cable (and an Apple Music subscription), correct?
I am hoping it is not that easy because then I will really feel foolish for all the money I have spent on SACD’s, DTS CD’s, DVD-Audio, Blu-Ray Pure Audio, etc 🤯
Amen, and in my case, all the take-out food needed to fuel the research for 4 years, YouTubing time, etc., it's not like a download service that you order in 2 minutes, tracking a title down can be a week's total effort.

I see. Thank you.
At a glance, the ATV 4K seems to operate like a Firestick or Roku…you just need a 4K TV and a proper HDMI cable (and an Apple Music subscription), correct?
I am hoping it is not that easy, because then I will really feel foolish for all the money I have spent on SACD’s, DTS CD’s, DVD-Audio, Blu-Ray Pure Audio, etc 🤯

I'm only with Tidal Atmos subscription (not Apple Music), and I was enjoying Booka Shade - "Dear Future Self Atmos" until it dissapeared from Tidal, probably because the contract with Tidal had expìred.

I then purchased the Booka Shade Blu-ray from amazon, just some days ago.

Perhaps, in the future, there would be a whole catalogue of streaming of all surround and Atmos that we like, but for the moment, it is just another complementary source of music in addition to the physical copies.

The way I do it is by trial and error. If you see a track you like on an Atmos playlist in Apple Music, you can click on Go To Album, then see if the rest of the album is in Atmos. A bit of a pain really but worth it if you want to get the most out of it.

Otherwise, I just keep checking these threads and let you all do the discovery work for me!

Also posted in the Apple Music thread I think but this is a useful resource

Ok. I was getting more and more curious while reading about people listening to Dolby Atmos tracks via Apple Music so I signed back up with Apple Music on Friday. This will allow me to access pretty much any music I feel like listening to at work. Late last night, I decided to take a listen to several of these Atmos tracks via my Apple TV 4K to see what everyone here is talking about, with mixed results. Some tracks sounded okay, a few sounded weird and several sounded great, except for one issue, which I’ll explain shortly. I only listened to about 30 to 150 seconds of select tracks. So, my results are based on this listening time. My favorite sounding track has to be The Doors, Riders On The Storm. This track really surrounded me and I loved hearing the whisper vocals floating above in the back part of the room. The one issue that I noticed with all these tracks is that there was little punch to the sound (Yes, I’ve checked my settings) I have a couple of these Atmos tracks on disc and the punch is there. I’m not sure if I’ll get this same lack of punch with the Stereo tracks because I have not tested this yet and will test later today. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back