Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hooked up my new Apple TV 4k to my Atmos receiver. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I can't get any music to play anything other than stereo. I've looked at the audio settings, and nothing jumps out at me, other than the default being TV speakers, but I assumed that just meant anything other than headphones. It won't let me change that setting anyway. Did anyone else experience this when they first started?

Make sure the Apple TV is updated to the latest firmware.

I’m full in the Apple system, but unfortunately I don’t get the Atmos from them. I have an AppleTV HD and don’t really want to upgrade. It works fine for me for pretty much everything I use it for. But no Atmos.

I also have an M1 Mac mini which I use stream ripped surround through the Music App. Other than having to store the tracks as .mov or m4v instead of m4a. It works great. Just no hapless layback with formats. but no Atmos.

since my receiver is old, and the Mac knows it. It shows up in the audio choice by model number. The Music app won’t send the Apple Music streams in surrounfd to the receiver. Even though I bought the Atmos of Gigaton, it’s only stereo for me.

its freaking frustrating.
If your receiver has HDMI inputs, you should be able to get the Apple Atmos mixes downmixed to 7.1 24/48 PCM.

Sell the Apple TV HD for $50 or whatever and buy a used or refurbished Apple TV 4K for $125 or whatever (I think I got one for $100 or so). The net cost will be the cost of (or less than the cost of) one overpriced box set you have to buy just to get a surround mix.

After listening to the Auro-3D demo discs again, I find it disappointing that Jennifer Batten's "Whatever" album was never actually released in Auro-3D, despite a track appearing on the demo disc in Auro-3D (i.e. Ass-Whoopin'). I want to hear more, but the best I could find is a Japanese CD + DVD (DVD appears to be videos, may only be in stereo). Was there ever any other multi-channel releases by her?

I'm also disappointed how ridiculously over-priced most Pure Blu-Ray Audio discs are ($35+ for Himmelborgan in Atmos + Auro-3D). The demo track I listened to is amazingly well recorded, but it's ultimately church hymns (in latin?) and I don't know how many listens I'd get out of it. I'm not exactly playing the life out of the Gordon Goodwin disc I bought (big band jazz) as I'm just not into that style of music that much. I want some more albums like Yello's Point in Atmos, Booka Shades two albums in Atmos or Mando Diao's Aelita in Auro-3D. Those have mind blowing immersion with more my style music, especially Yello. I've got Loreena McKennit's first album coming in Atmos towards the end of September, but that's about it.

For those with Apple Music (with Atmos), are many of those Pure Blue Audio albums on there? I might be better off just getting a subscription if they have a substantial catalog in Atmos (sadly no Auro-3D there, but many titles also had Atmos tracks on them).

What are the advantages of buying the newer model of Apple 4k TV over the older one? I would use it probably solely for streaming music. I'm also considering moving it between my Atmos and non-Atmos systems.
The second generation Apple TV 4K does have a better, more intuitive remote. I personally have the first generation and I don’t have any intention of upgrading.

I want some more albums like Yello's Point in Atmos, Booka Shades two albums in Atmos or Mando Diao's Aelita in Auro-3D. Those have mind blowing immersion with more my style music, especially Yello. I've got Loreena McKennit's first album coming in Atmos towards the end of September, but that's about it.

For those with Apple Music (with Atmos), are many of those Pure Blue Audio albums on there? I might be better off just getting a subscription if they have a substantial catalog in Atmos (sadly no Auro-3D there, but many titles also had Atmos tracks on them).
Yello's "Point" and Booka Shade's "Dear Future Self" (but not Galvany Street) are on Apple Music. There are a number of Atmos albums on Apple Music that were previously released on blu-ray (REM's Automatic for the People, Beatles' Abbey Road) and many albums mixed in Atmos but as of now not released on Blu-ray (Beatles' Sgt. Pepper; Pearl Jam's Gigaton, Ten, and No Code).

@MagnumX, Maybe Kraftwerk in Atmos you might enjoy? I’ve been enjoying the Billie Eilish in Atmos. The newest St. Vincent album is quite good in Atmos. Here‘s a list of what’s on Tidal. I’m assuming many of these same albums are on Apple. Another thought is to checkout this list.

I've got the full size Kraftwerk 3D box set (with the heavy coffee table book in it) already. Given I somehow missed Kraftwerk back in the 1980s, it was fun to catch up and the Atmos is great on there. I actually split a copy of the set up by album too.

I'll take a look at that list. Thanks.

Hi gang, couple of questions on Apple 4k TV

I already have an ATMOS set up, gear, and 4K TV. I also have subscriptions to Netflix, Amazon, and 3DBluRayRental. I'm not keen on adding a fourth (Apple) so I'd likely drop NetFlix and/or the BluRayRental, at least for now.

My questions is:
  1. Does AppleTV offer programing and movies that come 'free' with the subscription? Or do you have to rent or buy everything?
  2. If I rent a movie, is it the same video and audio quality of playing a disc? My experiences with Netflix and Amazon is no, thus the Rental subscription plan.
  3. On average, how much is it to rent a movie?
  4. Are there any advantages of playing Netflix or Amazon content through the AppletTV?
Thanks in advance.

Apple gave me a free year of AppleTV+ (their content service) with the purchase of my iPad Mini last Spring. I'm not impressed at all with their selection, which is mostly their own made up TV shows and some old content (e.g Fraggle Rock).

But the AppleTV 4K device is a hardware media player and supports Apps galore including players for Prime (I have a Prime account, but you still need a hardware player and it doesn't have to be a FireTV as Prime on ATV 4K supports 4K and Atmos), Netflix, Tidal, etc. and the "iTunes store" has support for Movies Anywhere digital copies, etc. I don't know how many "free" 4K upgrades I got to moves over the years, but it's been a lot. If Atmos gets added to a title and you don't get a free 4K upgrade (i.e. Movies Anywhere 2K codes), you still typically get access to Atmos in 2K for that title, which is NOT true of any of the other services (e.g. Vudu requires 4K to get Atmos output for anything at all and won't play 4K on a 2K set normally. I had to buy a scaler to make it think I had 4K just to get the Atmos sound to play plus I think downscaled 4K often looks better on 2K than the copy made for 2K).

My questions is:
  1. Does AppleTV offer programing and movies that come 'free' with the subscription? Or do you have to rent or buy everything
Just to be clear, Apple offers 2 separate subscription services that you can access through the Apple TV hardware: Apple Music (where you'll find the Dolby Atmos Spatial Audio), and Apple TV+ which has a limited number of original shows and movies (Ted Lasso, etc). Any movie you purchased that has a digital code is also viewable through the free Apple TV app (which does not require a subscription). Definitely more complicated than it should be.

Just to be clear, Apple offers 2 separate subscription services that you can access through the Apple TV hardware: Apple Music (where you'll find the Dolby Atmos Spatial Audio), and Apple TV+ which has a limited number of original shows and movies (Ted Lasso, etc). Any movie you purchased that has a digital code is also viewable through the free Apple TV app (which does not require a subscription). Definitely more complicated than it should be.

It didn't have any subscription services when it started. It started as the iTunes STORE where you bought things and it's still there, even though ATV 4K won't let you buy music (previous versions and the iTunes/Music app will). The subscription things are newer and also play on other devices. So you've got hardware and you've got software (subscriptions). I don't find that confusing. It's just the way it is in a digital world where no one wants to leave the house anymore and the Pandemic tells them not to every again anyway....

Thanks. I was thinking you'd get both music and programming with your subscription, but see now that is two separate subscriptions. Too bad you can't get both for some sort of combo priced discount.

I suppose 10 bucks a month ain't bad for the Apple Music subscription and I could use the service well beyond just the ATMOS piece of it.

Between Netflix, Amazon, BluRayRental, Xbox, and Apple Music, I'll be at $47 a month in subscriptions. I'm guessing that's still much cheaper than cable TV or some such.

Back