Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bunch-O-Crap™

I don't like hip-hop, rap, classical or jazz for the most part (And I'm not a big Beatles fan). That cancels 99% of it and I only have so much time to listen per month and I hate listening to new music for the most part (I need time to acclimate) so I limit how much new stuff I listen to each month to a couple of albums at most. I saw mostly a bunch of random songs taken from albums (with often the best ones ignored, let alone doing the entire album. Was the artist involved either? Of course not. It's a Money-Grab™.

So what's left? I have most of the full length albums already on disc in Atmos. I already said I hate listening to new music on a regular basis (i.e. Radio drives me bananas even without commercials) as it takes awhile to acclimate so I'm afraid I would only listen a few days a month at most for any new music and so $10 would add up fast. I saw very few artists I normally listen to on the list, at least in any quantity.

Am I listening to Atmos for Atmos sake or am I listening to music I like? I already find half the tracks on Booka Shade annoying, despite the fun mix of crap flying around the room, but it's losing its novelty. You still need good music and Pink Floyd is hard to come by (and ZERO Pink Floyd in Atmos...ever. Unless you count that imposter Roger Waters pretending he's Pinky! "Pinky! Get off the line! The train is coming!" And even that is only for the live concerts, not albums.

the Pink Floyd catalogue is coming in 360 Reality Audio and Dolby Atmos.

the Pink Floyd catalogue is coming in 360 Reality Audio and Dolby Atmos.

Who is doing the remixes? Given the way they argued over the 5.1 albums for so many years, it's hard to believe they're just going to do the whole thing in 360 and Atmos.

Meanwhile, I've just ordered George McCrae's album "Love" in Auro-3D (pretty reasonable for $17).

Who is doing the remixes? Given the way they argued over the 5.1 albums for so many years, it's hard to believe they're just going to do the whole thing in 360 and Atmos.

Meanwhile, I've just ordered George McCrae's album "Love" in Auro-3D (pretty reasonable for $17).

i don't know but i imagine James Guthrie mixed the earlier albums and Andy Jackson the later years.

the cynic in me says cash incentives from Dolby and Sony might galvanise the effort.

i'm not setup for Auro-3D but i remember enjoying that George McCrae HFPA in 5.1 when it first came out.

Where did you hear this? When?

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-5-1-dolby-audio-uhd-360-reality-audio.31054/
"In addition, for the first time, and from 19 October 2021, the album will be presented in Dolby Audio and UHD in addition to 360 Reality Audio, all of which will continue with other Pink Floyd releases. 360 Reality Audio is a new immersive music experience that closely mimics the omni-directional soundscape of live musical performance for the listener using Sony’s object-based 360 Spatial Sound technologies."

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-5-1-dolby-audio-uhd-360-reality-audio.31054/
"In addition, for the first time, and from 19 October 2021, the album will be presented in Dolby Audio and UHD in addition to 360 Reality Audio, all of which will continue with other Pink Floyd releases. 360 Reality Audio is a new immersive music experience that closely mimics the omni-directional soundscape of live musical performance for the listener using Sony’s object-based 360 Spatial Sound technologies."
Thanks!! But what is “Dolby Audio” and “UHD?” Does this mean no true Atmos mix?

Thanks!! But what is “Dolby Audio” and “UHD?” Does this mean no true Atmos mix?

UHD is Ultra HD, so it seems they will be released on 4K UHD Blu-ray's. presumably by Dolby Audio they mean Dolby Atmos.. anyway, we will see, tbh if they are getting bungs from Sony & Dolby they might get their fingers out a bit niftier than they usually do!

The physical disc is going to be UHD? Does 4K for the promo videos really matter? Now, if there was some way to get a 4K version of Pulse… 😁

Anyone know if albums and tracks mixed Dolby Atmos and 360 Reality Audio are the same? For example, Pearl Jam’s Ten and No Code albums. Is someone creating 2 separate mixes (one Atmos and one 360)? Is there a mix made using either process and then there is a software conversion that occurs to provide support in the other format?

There must be a significant amount of software automation IMO to make these spatial audio initiatives financially viable.

The physical disc is going to be UHD? Does 4K for the promo videos really matter? Now, if there was some way to get a 4K version of Pulse… 😁

looks like it! its all a bit hazy at the moment.. as usual the people in the press office are a tad unclear what they are talking about so we get vagueries like Dolby Audio etc! :LOL:

i don't know but i imagine James Guthrie mixed the earlier albums and Andy Jackson the later years.
If I had to guess, there will be no "new" mixes here, only algorithmic upmixes of what's already been done. That would/could include: Atom Heart Mother (from quad; seems unlikely), Meddle (from "deleted" AJ 5.1), Live at Pompeii (from AJ 5.1), Obscured By Clouds (from deleted AJ 5.1), The Dark Side of the Moon (from JG 5.1), Wish You Were Here (from JG 5.1), Animals (from upcoming JG 5.1), The Wall (from unreleased JG 5.1), A Momentary Lapse of Reason (from AJ 5.1), Delicate Sound of Thunder (from AJ 5.1), The Division Bell (from AJ 5.1), p•u•l•s•e (from JG 5.1), and The Endless River (from AJ 5.1).

If I had to guess, there will be no "new" mixes here, only algorithmic upmixes of what's already been done.
That’s disappointing, but not at all surprising. I suppose it would be a big investment with little return to do actual new Atmos mixes for streaming.

Does anyone know of an optimal way to search for mixed for ATMOS or 5.1 content Vs the Spatial Audio stuff? I’d like to put in the search “ ATMOS rock” and get a list of rock titles that an ATMOS mix, vs the spatial stuff. Maybe it’s just me being an old analog guy trying to work these new tangled apps…..

just hooked up a new Apple TV to my Marantz centered ATMOS set up and its sounds very very good. I’m excited to listen more and I’m starting to believe streaming can solve my Jones for high quality audio and surround.

Does anyone know of an optimal way to search for mixed for ATMOS or 5.1 content Vs the Spatial Audio stuff? I’d like to put in the search “ ATMOS rock” and get a list of rock titles that an ATMOS mix, vs the spatial stuff. Maybe it’s just me being an old analog guy trying to work these new tangled apps…..

just hooked up a new Apple TV to my Marantz centered ATMOS set up and its sounds very very good. I’m excited to listen more and I’m starting to believe streaming can solve my Jones for high quality audio and surround.
My go to for all the Apple Spatial releases (Dolby Atmos) is my Samsung android tablet.
I've loaded the Apple music app onto it and voila I can then save them all into my library.

Notwithstanding the links our fellow QQr's are regularly supplying.

Joe Bonamassa The Heart Never Waits. Fantastic Atmos mix of a modern blues song. Wow. Rhythm section pounding out in the fronts with dueling guitars prominent in the rears. It works

Back