Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Best Buy is still offering that 6 month free Apple Music trial, then I’m in to buy an AppleTV 4K tomorrow. Pearl Jam, Trent, Missing Persons, Sgt Pepper… I must hear these in Atmos. A shame that I’ll now have to manage subscriptions with both Tidal AND Apple. 😏

So no Atmos disc release? I'm not subscribing for just one album.

For just 1 album? What are you talking about?
Have you seen all 55 pages of this thread? I can resume it for you. There's plenty of Atmos music already available. From hip hop, to alternative, to rock, to pop, to classic, to jazz.

I'm counting around 5 releases per week.

Have you seen all 55 pages of this thread? I can resume it for you. There's plenty of Atmos music already available. From hip hop, to alternative, to rock, to pop, to classic, to jazz.

I have read the whole thread. There is about 10 of those releases I'd actually be interested in, some of which I already have in surround.

Listening now and all sounding great in 5.1..not set up for Atmos yet

Billy Idol -Rebel yell
We’re an American Band -Grand Funk Railroad
Blondie -Hanging on the telephone
Billy Squier -Everybody wants you
Alone -Heart
Tonight’s the night - Rod Stewart
Old on loosely -38 Special
Up on cripple creek -The Band
The passenger -Iggy Pop
All right now -Free
Rock and Roll All Nite - Kiss
Jessica Allman Brothers
Centerfold -J Geils Band
Only a memory - The Smithereens

All singles , and available under Rock in Spatial Audio

At this rate , I’ll definitely stay beyond my 3 month free trial!

Bunch-O-Crap™

I don't like hip-hop, rap, classical or jazz for the most part (And I'm not a big Beatles fan). That cancels 99% of it and I only have so much time to listen per month and I hate listening to new music for the most part (I need time to acclimate) so I limit how much new stuff I listen to each month to a couple of albums at most. I saw mostly a bunch of random songs taken from albums (with often the best ones ignored, let alone doing the entire album. Was the artist involved either? Of course not. It's a Money-Grab™.

So what's left? I have most of the full length albums already on disc in Atmos. I already said I hate listening to new music on a regular basis (i.e. Radio drives me bananas even without commercials) as it takes awhile to acclimate so I'm afraid I would only listen a few days a month at most for any new music and so $10 would add up fast. I saw very few artists I normally listen to on the list, at least in any quantity.

Am I listening to Atmos for Atmos sake or am I listening to music I like? I already find half the tracks on Booka Shade annoying, despite the fun mix of crap flying around the room, but it's losing its novelty. You still need good music and Pink Floyd is hard to come by (and ZERO Pink Floyd in Atmos...ever. Unless you count that imposter Roger Waters pretending he's Pinky! "Pinky! Get off the line! The train is coming!" And even that is only for the live concerts, not albums.

The artists were involved in a lot of the Atmos content I listen to on Apple Music. And money grab? The way I see it, the Atmos mixes will increase listens for songs, which does mean money into Apple's pocket and record label, but it also means money into the Artist's pockets too. Every time I listen. So I am happy to stream any and all Atmos content that I like on Apple Music, cuz I want the artists to get money ongoing. And they can have the money from my buying the physical media too.

The artists were involved in a lot of the Atmos content I listen to on Apple Music. And money grab? The way I see it, the Atmos mixes will increase listens for songs, which does mean money into Apple's pocket and record label, but it also means money into the Artist's pockets too. Every time I listen. So I am happy to stream any and all Atmos content that I like on Apple Music, cuz I want the artists to get money ongoing. And they can have the money from my buying the physical media too.

Speaking as an artist, I can guarantee you NOTHING Apple, Spotify or any other streaming does increases money in my pocket. It's all about the middle-man cutting the farmer out of the real money and making the big money sticking labels on it and putting it on a shelf. The industry has always screwed artists over for their own profits.

Speaking as an artist, I can guarantee you NOTHING Apple, Spotify or any other streaming does increases money in my pocket. It's all about the middle-man cutting the farmer out of the real money and making the big money sticking labels on it and putting it on a shelf. The industry has always screwed artists over for their own profits.

Our average per play rate is $0.01
While royalties from streaming services are calculated on a stream share basis, a play still has a value. This value varies by subscription plan and country or region but averaged $0.01 for Apple Music individual paid plans in 2020. This includes label and publisher royalties.

https://artists.apple.com/support/1124-apple-music-insights-royalty-rate
If I was a new artist, I wouldn't be looking to be a profitable band just from streaming services, unfortunately. Though I'd see it as a platform for exposure that can bring bucks to other forms of income (concerts/touring, merch, M&Gs, streaming concerts, etc, etc..)

Which is why for the artists I love, I buy their products, their clothing, their live bootlegs, I see them in concert, the list goes on and on. But they DO get streaming revenue and Apple pays better than ANY other streaming service. So again, they get the sale of their CD to me... and then they also get streaming revenue on top of that. Every little bit counts.

Our average per play rate is $0.01
While royalties from streaming services are calculated on a stream share basis, a play still has a value. This value varies by subscription plan and country or region but averaged $0.01 for Apple Music individual paid plans in 2020. This includes label and publisher royalties.

https://artists.apple.com/support/1124-apple-music-insights-royalty-rate
If I was a new artist, I wouldn't be looking to be a profitable band just from streaming services, unfortunately. Though I'd see it as a platform for exposure that can bring bucks to other forms of income (concerts/touring, merch, M&Gs, streaming concerts, etc, etc..)

Not every artist "tours" and so you have to wonder how many great bands and artists disappear because they can't make a living doing actual music. I like writing and recording, but not performing so that leaves me selling songs to publishing houses or just staying unknown.

I neither attend many concerts anymore or perform them. I used to buy all the Pet Shop Boys albums before they turned into what they thought kids today want to hear about ten years ago (crap noise rather than actual songs with real composition), but when they finally did go on tour, it was essentially some kind of artsy thing I didn't enjoy. I just want to listen to "I want a Dog" in my comfy chair with a visualizer doing crazy patterns on the giant screen.

More Pink Floyd laser show and less Lady Gaga in an unattractive "meat" coat, although some of her outfits look great in the back (her best angle anyway). Live rarely sounds as good as a studio album and most shows are more about dance routines than playing live music these days so I stopped going.

Even my favorite solo artist Tori Amos was a bit disappointing live. With her husband being a sound technician you'd expect the best acoustics. Nope, total crap. Plus Tori gets bored and starts messing with her songs. A 20-minute long version of The Waitress with her boinking the piano bench while doing her Robert Plant impersonation wasn't exactly classy back in 1998 and I had the hots for her back then.

Sarah McLachlan had a great sound guy and her band was awesome live, but half the audience was dressed as fairies (It was Halloween, I suppose) was just weird given she's straight....

I like listening at home now. ;)

But in terms of money, a writer typically gets 20-30 cents on a $1 track sale. Most artists get 1-2 cents unless they're famous and getting a new contract. The record label and store get the rest. It wasn't a great deal to begin with, but streaming makes it near impossible to make a living without becoming a merchandise huckster, puppet dancer or selling your body in music videos and posters if you're a hot woman.

This started long before streaming, though. It's why we get more Britney Spears types than Janis Joplins. If you're not a model, you either write for someone else ir get a job somewhere else. The days if radio play and music itself being important are long gone. Good looking people who can't sing are given pitch correction by the bucket load. That's how they sell "artists". Real artists don't stand a chance anymore.

Last edited:
Bite your tongue. Tori Amos is amazing live. I've heard fantastic live sound from here in Seattle, the Oregon Zoo, as well as concert halls in Portland OR and Salem OR. No idea where you saw bad sound, but it must have been the venue. And she has like 40 live bootlegs (some of the best live rock recordings I've ever heard) to prove she's exceptional live.

Bite your tongue. Tori Amos is amazing live. I've heard fantastic live sound from here in Seattle, the Oregon Zoo, as well as concert halls in Portland OR and Salem OR. No idea where you saw bad sound, but it must have been the venue. And she has like 40 live bootlegs (some of the best live rock recordings I've ever heard) to prove she's exceptional live.

Sorry, but I know high fidelity when I hear it and that wasn't it. I saw her at Akron University and the Palace Theater in Columbus during the Choirgirl Hotel tour and Cleveland during the Beekeeper tour. I've got boots of all of them as well.

Now some live recordings over the years were good (Sugar live sound board and the ones on the Hey Jupiter single were fantastic and most of the Little Earthquakes and Under The Pink stuff were good to excellent, although it is harder to screw up just a piano by itself.

But even that Boots set of legit bootleg albums weren't very good quality recordings, especially compared to her UTP and Pele studio albums that were audiophile quality (Choirgirl album was terrible quality by comparison, but Beekeeper was pretty good despite less dynamic range. Scarlet's Walk and Abnormally Attracted to Sin were reasonably good quality as were most of the other releases save Native Invader which IMO is god-awful in both quality and composition to the point where I'm not sure I'd buy her next album Willy Nilly without hearing it first.

Back