Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the great things about the Dolly podcast is hearing about how she managed to work her way around egomaniacal shites like Porter--and to both exploit and shrug off the tendency of everyone in the world to reduce her to a punchline about her chest. Brilliant songwriter and an amazingly shrewd person!
That's what I love about Dolly, she is the real deal, made it big time, while coming from absolutely nothing. I love her grit, love her music. She's an icon!

Wild Cherry, Electrified Funk (1975), in a conversion from Q8. Starting my morning with some slick, mindless party funk (and I mean that in the best way!). And a few other tunes, too. One of those wonderfully discrete, late Columbia mixes.

1635953534230.png

John Williams, Jaws: music from the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (1975), in a brilliant conversion from Japanese CD4. There's an ominous-looking front moving in from the west today, so some of these themes seem vaguely appropriate. Such a crazy-discrete mix--Dutton needs to get hold of this one and add it to its stable of film scores.

1635956856701.png

John Williams, Jaws: music from the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (1975), in a brilliant conversion from Japanese CD4. There's an ominous-looking front moving in from the west today, so some of these themes seem vaguely appropriate. Such a crazy-discrete mix--Dutton needs to get hold of this one and add it to its stable of film scores.

View attachment 73190
I agree, amazing leg (er... nail) bitter -LOL;;;;; totally changed my perspective of the music!

That Youngbloods album is musically nothing short of spectacular. Quad mix fair to poor.

spinning multi SACD's:
Supreme Jazz - Sonny Rolllins
Supreme Jazz - Lee Konitz
Supreme Jazz - Buddy Rich
non-starter for mix on these 3, but great music

Beatles' Love DVD-A
Wired - Jeff Beck Japan SACD
Tutu - Miles DVD-A

Ayreheart, Barley Moon (Sono Luminus BDA, 2016). I'm listening to this in 5.1, although the disc also includes a 9.1 Auro-3D mix that I have no way of playing. (Newer SL releases typically also include an Atmos mix, but not this one.) Elizabethan chamber music by Dowland & Byrd, along with some well-known contemporaneous folk songs that those composers would have stolen from. (And many of which were later recorded by folk rockers, both Brit and American.) Not as spectacularly immersive as a lot of Sono Luminus recordings, but still pretty nice.
https://www.sonoluminus.com/store/barley-moon

Jethro Tull - Benefit The 50th Anniversary Enhanced Edition 4CD 2DVD 5.1 DTS DVDV, same as the 2013 mix.
20211104_170159.jpg

Edit: I nearly threw out the "Benefit" fridge magnet that Burning Shed put in with the postcards and coasters, make sure you don't do the same if you ordered from The Shed!

Last edited:
Jethro Tull - Benefit The 50th Anniversary Enhanced Edition 4CD 2DVD 5.1 DTS DVDV, same as the 2013 mix.
View attachment 73214
What Steven Wilson tells us about the 5.1 mix of the Tanglewood concert
Wilson Tanglewood mix.jpg

Fun fact I'll throw in here: I used to work with Clive Bunkers brother Dave!

Last edited:
Back