Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Pineapple Thief - Nothing but the Truth (Blu-ray, 5.1 mix)
[IMG]

The Pineapple Thief - Nothing but the Truth (Blu-ray, 5.1 mix)
[IMG]
Watched this Friday evening to end the week. Fantastic! Like Gavin's drumming so much and I'm glad that he is back with Porcupine Tree.

In the moment: Vangelis - 1492 (Penteo upmix); I hope that there will be a 30th anniversary surround remix next year. Would be worth to do this.

Anthony Braxton, 12 Comp (ZIM) 2017 (BDA 5.1, 2021). I'm listening to just one hour of this massive collection for now, not all twelve (!). I really respect Braxton, but I like his work in jazz idioms more than his "classical" stuff, which generally makes for tougher listening. (Although to be fair: there's a lot of overlap, and both of those labels fit him imperfectly anyway.) I probably wouldn't have bought this Blu-Ray if Amazon hadn't radically mispriced it for a while. Anyway: twelve examples of performances following Braxton's "ZIM" method of composing. Medium-sized chamber ensembles, recorded and mixed fairly discretely. Personnel include some longtime Braxton collaborators/disciples in the jazz/new music scene like cellist Tomeka Reid, saxophonist Ingrid Laubrock, trumpeter Taylor Ho Bynum, and tubist Dan Peck.
https://www.discogs.com/release/19257322-Anthony-Braxton-12-Comp-ZIM-2017https://firehouse12records.com/album/12-comp-zim-2017
1636307911203.png

Last edited:
Jonatha Brooke, Steady Pull (DVD-A, 2001). I forget which QQer(s) I need to thank for putting me onto Jonatha Brooke in general and this disc in particular. But...thanks! (And Hey Mods: I can't find a poll for this one!) Nice package with a solid Bob Clearmountain mix. The great jazzers Joe Sample on keys and Marcus Miller on bass. Guest vocal from Michael Franti (Spearhead). Dept. of Trivia: Brooke was once married to Alain Mallet, whose two recent Mutt Slang albums have fabulous surround mixes by Elliot Scheiner.
https://www.discogs.com/release/3156047-Jonatha-Brooke-Steady-Pull-Special-Editionhttps://www.dvdtalk.com/interviews/jontha_brooke_t.html
1636317835061.png

Air 10,000 Hz Legend [Parlophone/2 RBCDs/1 BD~A Dolby Atmos, 5.1, Stereo] What an unexpected delight from the French electronic duo of Jean~Benet Dunckel and Nicolas Godin. The new discrete surround remix {Dolby ATMOS/5.1} by Bruce Keen & Gildas Lointier at Studio Benezéne, Paris is nothing short of SCRUMPTIOUS! Looking forward to more from this dynamic French duo...like MOON🌕SAFARI, s'il vous plait?

R.ad232cbf15f44737d1c6a5cabfac40a8

Last edited:
Jethro Tull 50th Anniversary ENHANCED Edition of BENEFIT [DVD~2: 1970 Live at Tanglewood video concert remixed in 2020 in discrete DTS 5.1/96/24 Stereo by Steve Wilson]. What a fantastic package which also includes on RBCD Disc 4, a new Jethro Tull LIVE in Chicago Concert [1970] with a MONO mix. A Sumptious package with a 100 page glossy booklet enclosed in a hardbound digipack. I paid $30 for the set ..... THE bargain [IMO] of 2021!

81PWxjTmVLL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Cymande, Cymande (1972) and Second Time Round (1973), in conversions from Q8. UK roots-reggae-flavored rock and soul band with some bluesy, Hendrix-y guitar. The second record has more jazz-funk-world influences. Black Britain's answer to Santana? Not exactly my thing, but I bet it worked really well at early 70s blues dances. Great quad mixes.

1636396896501.png
1636396990752.png

Last edited:
Cymande, Cymande (1972) and Second Time Round (1973), in conversions from Q8. UK roots-reggae-flavored rock and soul band with some bluesy, Hendrix-y guitar. The second record has more jazz-funk-world influences. Black Britain's answer to Santana? Not exactly my thing, but I bet it worked really well at early 70s blues dances. Great quad mixes.

View attachment 73320 View attachment 73321
That would be a possible two-fer from Dutton-Vocalion then?

Back