'The Beatles' - The White Album Listening Thread - Your thoughts

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone had a problem with the surround menu from this blu-ray disc? I finally got this today but it will not advance out of the stereo mode.

I have already tried two other blu-ray discs (with no problems) to eliminate system failure.

Any advice before I request a return label from Amazon would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

Has anyone had a problem with the surround menu from this blu-ray disc? I finally got this today but it will not advance out of the stereo mode.

I have already tried two other blu-ray discs (with no problems) to eliminate system failure.

Any advice before I request a return label from Amazon would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

I do think some early reports from a couple people here had some disc issues :unsure:

Well I finally got the disc to cooperate, I had to scroll through the song list and make it skip down to the audio options, (which it wouldn't allow me to do earlier).
Attempts to use the Oppo -95 remote on the fly gave me a "Operation blocked by disc" message.

I will post my review of the album after some more listening.

Thanks everyone for your input,
Robert

Hey RD1 - If Snood were you Snood would still request a replacement - they send one out replacement pronto and you have a month to return the other - who knows maybe the new disc works fine and has a better box or insides - Frankenstein the 2 \o/

Really shouldn't be that hard to navigate :unsure:

Hey RD1 - If Snood were you Snood would still request a replacement - they send one out replacement pronto and you have a month to return the other - who knows maybe the new disc works fine and has a better box or insides - Frankenstein the 2 \o/

Really shouldn't be that hard to navigate :unsure:

Snood, I will do that later on if I still am having difficulties, but I will first see if the problem can/will resolve itself.

I will do that later on if I still am having difficulties…

Backup your BD now, then backup all your other music BDs.

It’a well documented that Blu-ray disc failure is quite common. I’ve had quite a few, both BDA and BDV. Don’t wait until after a disc fails, do it now.

I haven't read through this whole thread so I'm not sure if this has been discussed before here (or elsewhere), but:

I've had the White Album SDE set for years, but only recently discovered that the stereo on the Blu-ray, while the same remix as on the CDs, is much more dynamic, not volume-crunched at all. Same with the mono mix on the Blu-ray, for that matter, which I believe is a direct transfer of the original mono mix. I ripped both the stereo and mono mixes from the Blu-ray and downsampled them to CD resolution, then put them on my phone for car and headphone listening, and they sound great.

The 5.1 mix is wonderful (and the only thing I usually listen to on the Blu-ray, which is why it took so long to discover this), but I do a lot of my music listening on headphones while out walking the dog, or while driving, so it's great to finally have fully-dynamic mixes of the White Album for those scenarios. While they're not brickwalled, I still find the CDs to be mastered too loud, on both this set and on the 2009 remixes.

I haven't read through this whole thread so I'm not sure if this has been discussed before here (or elsewhere), but:

I've had the White Album SDE set for years, but only recently discovered that the stereo on the Blu-ray, while the same remix as on the CDs, is much more dynamic, not volume-crunched at all. Same with the mono mix on the Blu-ray, for that matter, which I believe is a direct transfer of the original mono mix. I ripped both the stereo and mono mixes from the Blu-ray and downsampled them to CD resolution, then put them on my phone for car and headphone listening, and they sound great.

The 5.1 mix is wonderful (and the only thing I usually listen to on the Blu-ray, which is why it took so long to discover this), but I do a lot of my music listening on headphones while out walking the dog, or while driving, so it's great to finally have fully-dynamic mixes of the White Album for those scenarios. While they're not brickwalled, I still find the CDs to be mastered too loud, on both this set and on the 2009 remixes.
The 24/96 stereo on the Blu-ray is the vinyl cutting master, it’s not a big difference (no peak limiting) but it makes no sense why they wouldn’t have used this for the high rez digital downloads also from places like Qobuz and HD Tracks; at least they listened to the feedback regarding the more heavy handed mastering on Peppers.

Here’s a Q&A with Miles Showell who did all the mastering:

What’s the difference in the way you approached the mastering of the vinyl and CDs?
The process is similar. However, there is an extra step for the CD, which is the digital limiting. Now that we seem to have reached something resembling a truce in the loudness wars, there is a lot less limiting going on for the CD than there was a few years ago. This can only be a good thing. Giles and Sam’s new remixes were high resolution digital and I kept it high resolution all the way through; only dropping the resolution to CD specification for the CD master. The master lacquer discs were cut from the high resolution non-limited mastered files. I am pleased to say these same non-limited high resolution files that I used to cut the vinyl masters are also on the Blu Ray discs.
https://recordcollectormag.com/reviews/album/beatles-50th-anniversary-edition

Back