Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kenny Wayne Sheperd-The Traveler, Blu Ray Atmos 24/48. DR's are 11's, 12's, 13's.
I think this is the very first music only BD Atmos disc I ever bought. Released 2019.
Can be a little erratic at times with the mix. I have seen KWS two times and always brings down the house, super powerful guitar player.
R-14070691-1569245702-3564.jpg

Kenny Wayne Sheperd-The Traveler, Blu Ray Atmos 24/48. DR's are 11's, 12's, 13's.
I think this is the very first music only BD Atmos disc I ever bought. Released 2019.
Can be a little erratic at times with the mix. I have seen KWS two times and always brings down the house, super powerful guitar player.
View attachment 75970

I own this disc, and honestly, I just do not like it. Probably means, I don't like him. I dunno. I simply get bored listening to it. Never make it all the way through...

I own this disc, and honestly, I just do not like it. Probably means, I don't like him. I dunno. I simply get bored listening to it. Never make it all the way through...
I like it, but I think the 3-4 last songs on the album is the best.

View attachment 75970
Among my favorite MC albums!

I’m finally getting around to listening to this. I have the dvd-a and the new ATMOS is definitely a different mix approach.

The old 5.1 is very much taking the original stereo mix and augmenting it with some surround elements. it’s a really great listen, and often demoed my system with it back in the early 2000’s with this recording

The ATMOS mix is really interesting, and very different. unlike the 5.1, it’s not grounded in a stereo base, its very immersive, with instrument objects placed around you. incredibly detailed because of it. You know EXACTLY where each of the multiple guitars are in space, and they are tonally distinct because the discrete placement let’s you hear it. Fleetwood‘s drums and his playing are also a highlight. Sounds like you are standing next to the kit.

But, you do give up a little of the perceived power of the stereo based mixed because the primary musical elements aren’t always stacked with a left right focus. All that probably doesnt make sense, but it’s the best I can do to describe what I hear!

Highly recommended to hear what’s possible with ATMOS. I really hope they get Greg Penny to do ATMOS on the Elton John stuff. The 5.1’s were fantastic, I can only imagine what ATMOS would sound like

I’m finally getting around to listening to this. I have the dvd-a and the new ATMOS is definitely a different mix approach.

The old 5.1 is very much taking the original stereo mix and augmenting it with some surround elements. it’s a really great listen, and often demoed my system with it back in the early 2000’s with this recording

The ATMOS mix is really interesting, and very different. unlike the 5.1, it’s not grounded in a stereo base, its very immersive, with instrument objects placed around you. incredibly detailed because of it. You know EXACTLY where each of the multiple guitars are in space, and they are tonally distinct because the discrete placement let’s you hear it. Fleetwood‘s drums and his playing are also a highlight. Sounds like you are standing next to the kit.

But, you do give up a little of the perceived power of the stereo based mixed because the primary musical elements aren’t always stacked with a left right focus. All that probably doesnt make sense, but it’s the best I can do to describe what I hear!

Highly recommended to hear what’s possible with ATMOS. I really hope they get Greg Penny to do ATMOS on the Elton John stuff. The 5.1’s were fantastic, I can only imagine what ATMOS would sound like
Did Greg do the Atmos mix of Rumours? I sampled a couple of tracks last week and the mix style reminded me of what he did with Rocket Man.

Did Greg do the Atmos mix of Rumours? I sampled a couple of tracks last week and the mix style reminded me of what he did with Rocket Man.
Just pulled out the DVD-A and there’s no one listed for the surround mix. I wonder how to find out?

I gave it another shoot, have listened to The Chain and Songbird in Atmos, and then compared my listening experience with the 5.1. Despite the fact that Atmos is not discrete but rather sort of immersive, I quite enjoyed those two. I liked the backing vocals in the height speakers in the chorus of The Chain, as well as the more detailed acoustic guitar in Songbird and the improved clarity in the vocals.
The 5.1 seems far more discrete on many occasions, and it probably is. However, there are tracks that are just great in this atmos mix, such as Never Going Back Again and Gold Dust Woman.

Last edited:
Ken Caillat did all the Fleetwood Mac 5.1 mixes.

I'm really surprised how Ken evolved from the DVD-A to this atmos. They are obviously very different mixes so the change had to come from within Ken. I wonder what made him go in a different direction (that I really like btw).

People change, sometimes for the better, maybe because the technology changes but probably not as I think their artistic vision changes.

I stumbled upon a reissue of a 1995 Torch Song album with five of the tracks "revisited" by William Orbit and the revisited tracks are available in a Dolby Atmos mix:

https://listen.tidal.com/album/216184162
I'm sure it's up on Apple Music as well.

The only thing I knew about Torch Song was a Torch Song Mix of Sting's If You Love Somebody. It's a pretty different version to what was released on the album and I always enjoyed it. I was checking to see if Tidal had any of their releases because I read that Rubellan has been trying to reissue their first couple of albums and noticed this remaster/remix was released on the 18th. It's got a very active mix and is worth checking out if you like electronic music or William Orbit's recent Starbeam EP in Dolby Atmos.

I'd love to see him do an Atmos mix of Madonna's Ray Of Light album with her upcoming reissue campaign since he did a lot of writing and production on the original album.

Just gave the Welcome 2 America BDA Atmos mix a test run. It's from the box set of the same name that Amazon had a blowout sale on for less than $40.

First, after only 3 songs, it's clear that Prince was a supreme entertainer. I mean, just wow. I was full on captivated by him. The band is super talented, funky and tight. While the fidelity on this is good, really the Atmos mix is very front biased. So, I mean, the fact they call it Atmos doesn't really make one bit of difference. Still, it's something to really crank up and have fun with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back