Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah a lot of albums are coming out in the next few months, Atmos or no.

We’re currently staring down the barrel of two albums from my fav band King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, one which has leaked and people have the vinyl of, and one which might be more metal focused that has yet to be announced. Between their last album and this, one of the band members said they were investigating Atmos. I wouldn’t be surprised if one or both of them have Atmos mixes.

It's the same Tom Sawyer (yuck) and Limelight (ok) that have been up a while. The other tracks are so much quieter that I think they went through a different process. They do play back multichannel, but I did not analyze their mixes. Possibly upmixes of some kind. Maybe the deluxe 5.1 mixes from a while back.
I was thinking the same thing at first, but my sense is these are not the old mixes upmixed. My guess is that they didn’t re-upload the files for the 2 existing songs and when the new ones were uploaded, they weren’t level adjusted properly or something (or maybe they are correct because the other two are quite loud).

But I haven’t listened to the awful 5.1 mixes in a long time.

Just curious, what’s your issue with the Tom Sawyer atmos? I think it’s fine (and maybe a bit better than Limelight although they’re cut from the same cloth FWIW).

But I’m not a particularly big Rush fan, so...

Just curious, what’s your issue with the Tom Sawyer atmos? I think it’s fine (and maybe a bit better than Limelight although they’re cut from the same cloth FWIW).
I cannot get passed the snare sound for TS. It's like a shitty sample was dropped on it or an undesirable frequency boosted or something. I have the original album in my DNA, so the Atmos snare sound has bugged the s*#t out of me the second I heard it.

It's the same Tom Sawyer (yuck) and Limelight (ok) that have been up a while. The other tracks are so much quieter that I think they went through a different process. They do play back multichannel, but I did not analyze their mixes. Possibly upmixes of some kind.

Probably not upmixes since Apple Music does not allow that. Not to say it is impossible but it would be a violation of Apple Music policies.

Very interesting Atmos mix here. Acoustic guitar is everywhere in Never Going Back Again, to great effect. Lead vocals a bit low in Don't Stop, to my liking

It's also worth noting that "Never Going Back Again" in Atmos sounds more like the original stereo mix, without the steel guitar and and percussion parts that were added in for the DVD-A 5.1 remix.

Anyone have a link to the US Version of Rumours in Atmos?
I don’t have a link handy, but if you do a search for Rumours, it’s the Deluxe Edition (not Super Deluxe). It won’t indicate Atmos because there are stereo bonus tracks, but the main album is atmos.

Update: If you select the Super Deluxe Edition when doing a search, it is all stereo. But if you correctly select the Deluxe Edition when doing a search and add it to your library, it adds the Super Deluxe to your library - but when select the Super Deluxe from your library and play songs, it plays the Deluxe album and atmos versions. Go figure. :unsure:

Last edited:
I cannot get passed the snare sound for TS. It's like a shitty sample was dropped on it or an undesirable frequency boosted or something. I have the original album in my DNA, so the Atmos snare sound has bugged the s*#t out of me the second I heard it.
Hmmm, I’ll need to go back and listen.

I agree with this. The Rush sound I grew up with is a tight, crisp drum presentation, very punchy and powerful. The Chycki mixes (both the 5.1 and Atmos) for Tom Sawyer take much of the tightness away and add lots of reverb, thereby losing the power behind it. Truth is, it has been awhile so this is all from memory. I will have to go back and listen again to confirm this is still how I feel. But I remember listening to the surround mix of TS in particular and then immediately playing the stereo version, and it was glaring how different it was.

Last edited:
Very interesting Atmos mix here. Acoustic guitar is everywhere in Never Going Back Again, to great effect. Lead vocals a bit low in Don't Stop, to my liking
I have this on DVD A I think and it was excellent. Look forward to seeing what the ATMOS sounds like

My assessment, after several listens, is "uggggh"...

They made Peart's snare sound like a trash can lid. The toms sound different too. I think the remix engineer used a favorite reverb plugin, rather than trying to match the original sound. Unforgivable.

It's basically the same approach as the 5.1. Main band parts up front, synths favoring the rears.
The Atmos doesn't really have anything unique going on. Just makes everything BIGGER in the room. Not necessarily a good thing.
I prefer Chycki's 5.1 and those that know me well know that I'm not a Chycki fanboi.
I just compared them as well. I'm still 5.1 downmix based. I cant say the streamed mix is any better that the BRD release. But I can say, the sonics are superior on the BRD, by a good margin.

How's the mix? I was hoping and praying for a Steven Wilson remix but I fear that it is probably Chycki. I will not have a chance to listen until later.

I was only able to listen to "Dreams" on Tidal, and the mix was pretty bad compared to the SACD. LFE is way too high, and rear activity is almost non-existent.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 7.47.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 7.47.45 PM.png
    228.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 7.45.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 7.45.56 PM.png
    203 KB · Views: 41
so far The Camera Eye does seem clearer than the dvd-a/BDA

I can hear distinct cymbals in the left that I don't think I heard before

Beginning of Witch Hunt (Part III of Fear) is pretty good

but yeah you gotta crank it up to hear it, and the whole album does seem a bit thin due to apple's delivery of the atmos but I generally like what I'm hearing with some good Neil pannings

I think like baggy said that it just might be an atmos upmixed from a 5.1
I think they just use an algorithm that decides what to put in the heights without any real human intervention. sad

Last edited:
Or just throw Ye Olde DVD-A or BD-A on the tray!
I've finally had a chance to sample this and I'm torn!! The Atmos is way more discrete and active all around compared to the DVD-A. BUT, the DVD-A is better sonically and hits harder bass wise. Very happy to have this available both ways though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back