Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL! ATmos capable phone? Didn't know there was such a thing. I hvae an iphone, but it's 5 years old. Also, another side comment. I put those albums that Jonathan mentioned into my library. When I played the Blue Oyster Cult, it didn't play in atmos, my AVR switched over to 5.1, but it only played out of my left front speaker. LMAO! Must be some setting, not sure about all that.
I had same problem last December. Now it play surround. I’m in Europe.

So here's my workflow.

I am using a Windows PC, because I'm not personally a fan of foruming on a phone. I also have iTunes for Windows installed.

I click on the forum link, and another tab opens up on Apple Music. I've already signed in and told it to remember me, but if it's been a while or whatever, I do need to sign in first.

Now, if the link posted is a US link, then along the side of the Apple Music page are all of my playlists, etc. I can just drag song(s) to the appropriate list, and job done.

On the other hand, if it's a non-US link, my playlists won't be there. However, at the bottom left of the page is an "Open in iTunes" button. I click that, and iTunes then comes to the foreground and shows me the US version of the song(s). I can right-click a song and add it to a playlist.

Every once in a while, iTunes will tell me a song isn't available in my region. I suppose I could try some additional searching, but as my PC doesn't have an Atmos-capable sound system, I can't tell which tracks are in Atmos anyway, so I usually just move on.
I don't use iTunes so I prefer my way around. :cool:

Amazing!!!

image.jpg

I guess that the files downloaded (from streaming) would not be available to play once they disspear from the service, if the player connects to the streaming service, at least from time to time.

How do you play downloaded files from Apple Music? Can it be played with other players? are they standard FLAC, ALAC, MP4 or whatever?

And what about the downloaded Atmos files? How do they look externally to the Apple player?

In my case I only managed to download the files from Tidal. At first they are saved as a “m4a” file, which I then transform into an “mka” (my player - Oppo 203 - does not playback the other container).

That aside, can anyone please AB test this song both in Atmos and Lossless?
https://music.apple.com/de/album/maybe/1608118564?i=1608118897&l=en
For some reason I find the Atmos version less punchy, as though the voices were not correctly mixed.

The next track of the album sounds more balanced between both releases:
https://music.apple.com/de/album/drug-dealer-feat-lil-wayne/1608118564?i=1608118899&l=en

Last edited:
Let's try and steer this back to the thread title and focus on listening to Atmos music on streaming...

Here's an interesting one... :)

John Mellencamp - American Fool

1280x1280-21.jpg
_

Apple Music - American Fool (Remastered) by John Cougar
Tidal - John Mellencamp - American Fool.

Apple seems to have tracks 3-9 greyed out for the mo? Tidal has the full album.

Mixed by David Leonard, who has done some nice Atmos mixes with Video Killed The Radio Star, J. Geils Band - Centrefold, Steve Winwood - Higher Love... And then some stuff that's not quite as good like The Allman Brothers and The Band stuff... This is somewhere in-between. Mostly gone for an 'immersive' experience but still some good uses in the surround field at certain points. I like it... :cool:

Let's try and steer this back to the thread title and focus on listening to Atmos music on streaming...

Here's an interesting one... :)

John Mellencamp - American Fool

View attachment 77399_

Apple Music - American Fool (Remastered) by John Cougar
Tidal - John Mellencamp - American Fool.

Apple seems to have tracks 3-9 greyed out for the mo? Tidal has the full album.

Mixed by David Leonard, who has done some nice Atmos mixes with Video Killed The Radio Star, J. Geils Band - Centrefold, Steve Winwood - Higher Love... And then some stuff that's not quite as good like The Allman Brothers and The Band stuff... This is somewhere in-between. Mostly gone for an 'immersive' experience but still some good uses in the surround field at certain points. I like it... :cool:
Showing all in Atmos on Apple for me here in the US

Back