Elton John "Madman Across The Water" 50th Anniversary Box Set (3 CDs & 5.1 Blu-Ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ahh.. you know, it intrigues me somewhat.. while i've been whinging on about this 19-year old Madman 5.1 mix reissue being Lossy on the Blu-ray and we're all scrabbling about to get a replacement disc for just one Bonus Track we all had already on 5.1 SACD for many years, that there's 48 shiny new Atmos mixes of Elton's Hits in Diamonds on Apple, Tidal, etc.. tracks in Surround that encompass pretty much his entire career, many tracks that will probably never see Surround release in a similar Box Set to this Madman Anniversary set.. kinda surprised it hadn't made more impact.. maybe down the line.. anyway, sorry for the brief topic tangent but it is pretty curious, n'est pas!? i predict if SDE did an Atmos & 5.1 standalone Blu-ray Audio release of Diamonds it would be their biggest seller ever! πŸ’ŽπŸ’°πŸ€‘πŸΎπŸ˜†

I wonder if they missed-off the lossless multi-channel audio by accident as well ;)

πŸ˜‚ nice one!! πŸ‘ i was going to mention exactly that in my reply to Janice at Universal but i thought "what's the point!?" πŸ™ƒ
i hate throwing in the towel but really its not gonna happen so it'd just be another whinge that'd fall on deaf ears πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

on another tangent, it was nice to see Laura Croker getting a credit in the back of the new Madman book. an absolutely lovely lady πŸ’˜ i remember when i asked her at a Rocket event (can't remember if it was for Peachtree Rd or Dream Ticket) when we might expect the rest of the Elton SACDs (after Elton said he wanted the whole catalogue done in SACD) she thought they had all been released already and i had to break it to her that they'd "only" done half a dozen (good'uns though!) and Greg had said next up was Blue Moves, Caribou, Don't Shoot Me.. and Westies.. I'm still standing and still waiting 18 years later!! πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈπŸ˜‚πŸ€£

πŸ˜‚ nice one!! πŸ‘ i was going to mention exactly that in my reply to Janice at Universal but i thought "what's the point!?" πŸ™ƒ
i hate throwing in the towel but really its not gonna happen so it'd just be another whinge that'd fall on deaf ears πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

on another tangent, it was nice to see Laura Croker getting a credit in the back of the new Madman book. an absolutely lovely lady πŸ’˜ i remember when i asked her at a Rocket event (can't remember if it was for Peachtree Rd or Dream Ticket) when we might expect the rest of the Elton SACDs (after Elton said he wanted the whole catalogue done in SACD) she thought they had all been released already and i had to break it to her that they'd "only" done half a dozen (good'uns though!) and Greg had said next up was Blue Moves, Caribou, Don't Shoot Me.. and Westies.. I'm still standing and still waiting 18 years later!! πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈπŸ˜‚πŸ€£
You guy,s when you contact Universal, you SHOULD mention their SCREW-UP of putting lossy DTS on the Bluray instead of DTS HD MASTER, so that they can make that correction too on the re-pressed Bluray !!!!!!!!!!

just a bit of fun for my fellow Madmen at QQ! ✌πŸ₯³πŸ€©πŸ™ƒ

View attachment 80204

clockwise from Top Right;
Dutch 1971 DJM LP (DJH-20420)
Australian Disctronics CD (circa 1989?) Reissue using mastering from West German DJM 80's CD (825 487-2),
U.K. Rocket 1995 Classic Years CD w/Gus' Remaster (528-161-2),
Japanese Papersleeve 2001 CD with Gus' 1995 Remaster (UICY-9104),
U.S. 2004 Hybrid MultiCh SACD (B0003610-36),
"Tumbleweed Collection" (1998 Scorpio label Silver-pressed Boot w/2 Madman tracks from OGWT TV show & Rock Me When He's Gone Live at The Budokan),
"Indian Sunset - New York 1970 + Demo's" (1997 Silver-pressed European Boot, comprising the remaining tracks from 17-11-70, including Indian Sunset Live at WABC-FM NY + demos),
"Madman Across The Water - The Demos" (no label, no cat. info., 5 track CDR w/demos of Rock Me When He's Gone, Levon, Madman.., Rotten Peaches, Goodbye),
Portuguese DJM MoviePlay 1980 LP reissue (M.M.-8015),
2022 CD/BD Anniversary Edition.
No one madder than Mad Fred McBlue :)

I'm so glad you all posted the response you received. Because i didn't see one, i checked my SPAM, and sure enough, there it was! In my first post to them, i did ask the following questions: Will you be releasing any other Elton John titles in deluxe editions like this one? Any hope of our getting Atmos mixes of his releases?
Neither was answered in the form letter response. I posed them again. One never does know . . . my xPropaganda blu ray showed up, after all! Hope is the thing with feathers–

Last edited:
Its a screw-up? Was it advertised as having DTS HD Master?

ADAgttV.jpg

Front of my copy

D2iQN6P.jpg

Back of my copy

DTS-HD HR Audio 5.1
PCM HR Stereo 2.0

Regards,

Last edited:
D2iQN6P.jpg

Back of my copy

DTS-HD HR Audio 5.1
PCM HR Stereo 2.0

Regards,

Confusing (and misleading) format terminology. DTS-HD HR ("High Resolution") is not the same as DTS-HD MA ("Master Audio").

Unlike DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HR is still technically lossy, though for many people, the audible difference may be minuscule (or non-existent). As I understand it, DTS-HD HR is to DTS-HD MA as Dolby Digital Plus is to Dolby TrueHD.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=41820https://community.firecore.com/t/dts-hd-vs-dts-hd-ma/12938

Last edited:
My understanding is that DTS not equal to DTS-HD HR

I'm right?

Got my answer, google is your friend

"To be more precise, DTS is usually found on a DVD Disc whereas DTS HD is found on a Blu-ray Disc. The latter is for sure superior to the former in terms of quality. The HD attached with DTS, as most of you might know, is short for High Definition and therefore a better quality is expected anyways. However it must be noted that the difference is not too much; it is more like an improved and better version of DTS but that by no means implies that DTS is outdated or of low quality. It is almost as good as DTS-HD."

Regards,

Last edited:
just a bit of fun for my fellow Madmen at QQ! ✌πŸ₯³πŸ€©πŸ™ƒ

View attachment 80204

clockwise from Top Right;
Dutch 1971 DJM LP (DJH-20420)
Australian Disctronics CD (circa 1989?) Reissue using mastering from West German DJM 80's CD (825 487-2),
U.K. Rocket 1995 Classic Years CD w/Gus' Remaster (528-161-2),
Japanese Papersleeve 2001 CD with Gus' 1995 Remaster (UICY-9104),
U.S. 2004 Hybrid MultiCh SACD (B0003610-36),
"Tumbleweed Collection" (1998 Scorpio label Silver-pressed Boot w/2 Madman tracks from OGWT TV show & Rock Me When He's Gone Live at The Budokan),
"Indian Sunset - New York 1970 + Demo's" (1997 Silver-pressed European Boot, comprising the remaining tracks from 17-11-70, including Indian Sunset Live at WABC-FM NY + demos),
"Madman Across The Water - The Demos" (no label, no cat. info., 5 track CDR w/demos of Rock Me When He's Gone, Levon, Madman.., Rotten Peaches, Goodbye),
Portuguese DJM MoviePlay 1980 LP reissue (M.M.-8015),
2022 CD/BD Anniversary Edition.

Where's your copy of the beautifully marbled coloured LP? ;)

SHelton-PROPDLXcombo-R1.jpg

DTS-HR is a really weird codec to see on a 2022 Blu-ray release. The only Blu-rays I’ve seen that used it were circa 2006-2007 Blu-ray releases from Lionsgate. It is indeed lossy but it’s full bitrate and probably equivalent to DTS 96/24. The specs on the box are still a little confusing because I’m pretty sure your Blu-ray player should show the input signal as β€œDTS-HD HR”.

From blu-ray.com's "Guide to Home Theater Audio CODECs":

DTS-HD HIGH RESOLUTION AUDIO (DTS-HD HR)
Similar to Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD High Resolution is an improved version of the previous DTS Digital formats. It is a lossy format that delivers up to 7.1 channels of sound with sampling frequencies from 48kHZ up to 96 kHz and 24 bit depth resolution. It runs between 1.5Mbps to 6Mbps. Note that DTS-HD HR is sometimes referred to as DTS-HD, which is misleading. Its quality is between DTS-HD Master Audio and the older DTS Digital 5.1 and DTS-ES.​
This format is optional for Blu-Ray (up to a constant bit rate of 6Mbps) and HD DVD (up to a constant bit rate of 3Mbps) players. It is an alternative for DTS-HD Master Audio where disc space may not allow it. However, most studios prefer to use basic DTS Digital or Dolby Digital.​

From blu-ray.com's "Guide to Home Theater Audio CODECs":

DTS-HD HIGH RESOLUTION AUDIO (DTS-HD HR)
Similar to Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD High Resolution is an improved version of the previous DTS Digital formats. It is a lossy format that delivers up to 7.1 channels of sound with sampling frequencies from 48kHZ up to 96 kHz and 24 bit depth resolution. It runs between 1.5Mbps to 6Mbps. Note that DTS-HD HR is sometimes referred to as DTS-HD, which is misleading. Its quality is between DTS-HD Master Audio and the older DTS Digital 5.1 and DTS-ES.​
This format is optional for Blu-Ray (up to a constant bit rate of 6Mbps) and HD DVD (up to a constant bit rate of 3Mbps) players. It is an alternative for DTS-HD Master Audio where disc space may not allow it. However, most studios prefer to use basic DTS Digital or Dolby Digital.​

fwiw the bitrate of the 5.1 DTS 96/24 on the new Madman BD is 1.5 Mbps afaik

Last edited:
Back