Elton John "Madman Across The Water" 50th Anniversary Box Set (3 CDs & 5.1 Blu-Ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
4th disc in the image is clearly marked as a Blu-Ray so here's hoping this will be our first chance to hear a classic Elton John album in Dolby Atmos!
91TOrGqI+9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

speculation hat = ON: 🤠

if (and its a big IF) they were to do similar sets for all his 70's albums, might they include Atmos Blu-ray's, i'd love for them to also have Greg Penny's dedicated 5.1 mixes (incl his unreleased 5.1's of Blue Moves, Caribou, Don't Shoot Me.., Rock Of The Westies etc) and hopefully Stereo flat transfers of Gus' original mixes.. 🤞 maybe even include some video footage, if possible/suitable? for this album, there's a wonderful BBC Concert "Sounds For Saturday" from Xmas 1971 where EJ, Dee and Nigel do the Madman album (apart from All The Nasties) live in a studio setting, its pretty spectacular 🤩

3 CDs.. 🤔 curious what CDs 2 & 3 might be.. i guess there'll be demo's and outtakes.. there was a Madman Deluxe CD release on the cards around 10 years ago that never materialsed, supposedly had
previously unreleased demo's for most of the album.. 🤔

do we have a release date yet? 🙏

Its all speculation at this point, but if they do indeed release a series of these with Atmos tracks included, I would buy them all. In my admittedly limited Atmos experience, the EJ Apple Atmos tracks are some of the best I've heard. Rocket Man may be THE best Atmos track in existence.

If this release is indeed the beginning of an Elton John 50th anniversary series, it's too bad they didn't put out 50th anniversary editions of both "Elton John" and "Tumbleweed Connection".
Even if they did not contain Atmos mixes, a reissue of the 5.1 mix on Blu-Ray would have been most welcome, especially since the SACD is such a PITA format.

But I am getting excited thinking about 50th anniversary box sets for all 70s albums moving forward!

:)

Nice set, but I have no need for the CD's and I suppose the price will be high. If they price it like the Marillion sets I'm in.

i'm a bit out of the loop with similarly configured physical releases these days, what's the usual pricepoint for 3 CDs and a Blu-ray in that kind of size of Book packaging and crucially with no vinyl (thank God! 🙏 )..? 🤔

i'd hope around the £40-50 quid mark would be the limit (especially if this is the start of a series!) but really cynical ol' moi reckons Universal could slap whatever price they wanted on it and it'd sell (and they know it 😅 ) 😂

i'm a bit out of the loop with similarly configured physical releases these days, what's the usual pricepoint for 3 CDs and a Blu-ray in that kind of size of Book packaging and crucially with no vinyl (thank God! 🙏 )..? 🤔
It looks similar in size/configuration to the John Lennon Gimme Some Truth 2CD/Blu-Ray from UMe or either of the Al Stewart 3CD/DVD sets from Esoteric, all of which landed well under the $100 USD mark.

might they include Atmos Blu-ray's, i'd love for them to also have Greg Penny's dedicated 5.1 mixes (incl his unreleased 5.1's of Blue Moves, Caribou, Don't Shoot Me.., Rock Of The Westies etc)
That's a Big PLUS 1 on that!

Seriously, I'm happy with the SACDs I have (5.1) but the other albums, we know they're sitting there somewhere 🤤

With that nice (what looks like a) hard cover book in this set; heck it may take $149.95 US to land it 🎣

That's a Big PLUS 1 on that!

Seriously, I'm happy with the SACDs I have (5.1) but the other albums, we know they're sitting there somewhere 🤤

With that nice (what looks like a) hard cover book in this set; heck it may take $149.95 US to land it 🎣

Well, WHATEVER THE COST, This Madman Across The Pond is IN!

I can afford to lose a few £ 's......

Last edited:
maybe 50th anniversary sets for the earlier albums were planned but shelved due to covid, etc? is this set specifically described as a "50th anniversary" release?

"Elton John" and "Tumbleweed Connection" did have 50th anniversary vinyl reissues, but that was it, nothing as comprehensive as this, although they did have 2-disc deluxe editions released back in 2008, whereas this is the first deluxe edition reissue of "Madman".

:)

Back