Elton John "Madman Across The Water" 50th Anniversary Box Set (3 CDs & 5.1 Blu-Ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ryan,

Why are you adding this set to the SACD Thread? It may be the same 5.1 mix but, apparently, it looks like a different Master which can make the delivered audio sound different. Please correct me, if I’m wrong here. Anyway, that’s what I’m picking up from the comments here.

Ryan,

Why are you adding this set to the SACD Thread? It may be the same 5.1 mix but, apparently, it looks like a different Master which can make the delivered audio sound different. Please correct me, if I’m wrong here. Anyway, that’s what I’m picking up from the comments here.

Because we normally only do separate poll threads for a particular album if the mixes are different.
Same mix (even with a different mastering) goes in the same poll thread.

in a bit of a quandary.. i'd regrettably have to deduct a point for the Lossy DTS on the BD.. but i would like my SACD "10" to remain on the Poll.. 🤔
Keep your rating and explain it all in a post on the thread. You write most passionately on the subject! Stay Surrounded, Comrade!

I read blu~ray.com's reviews daily and one thing I know, they're adamant against putting LOSSY codecs on blu ray discs! And they make a point of putting it in their reviews! Which does make it all the more confusing that nothing was mentioned in their 5 star audio review of Madman!!!!!!!
I sent Jeffrey Kauffman (the reviewer) a PM explaining the Mick Ronson version not being included and the lossy surround audio, and a link to this thread, and he has updated his review.

I sent Jeffrey Kauffman (the reviewer) a PM explaining the Mick Ronson version not being included and the lossy surround audio, and a link to this thread, and he has updated his review.

fank you fwoggy 🤗🐿

i guess he may have got a preview copy that didn't have the erroneous track and maybe even had DTS HD-MA.. 🤔

i'm just digging into the disc now on the computer.. i notice the contents amounts to 21.18GB, so maybe they had to chuck the DTS HD-MA to fit everything on a BD-25?

Amazing UMG couldn't afford to put one of their biggest selling acts on at least a BD~50 disc!

Here's the proof - No DTS-HD MA. This is what MakeMKV sees on the BluRay. I have to rip it and compare the wav files with the SACD rip, but with my damaged hearing I doubt I would be able to hear a difference, even if there was. That takes a lot of the "fun" out of surround sound, which is why I've been laying low lately. It's a bit depressing............ :cry:

MadMan BD.jpg

Here's the proof - No DTS-HD MA. This is what MakeMKV sees on the BluRay. I have to rip it and compare the wav files with the SACD rip, but with my damaged hearing I doubt I would be able to hear a difference, even if there was. That takes a lot of the "fun" out of surround sound, which is why I've been laying low lately. It's a bit depressing............ :cry:

View attachment 80126

yeah.. i got the same results on the Mac.. the disc is full of.. well, idk what!? 21 Gigs of stuff and no Lossless Surround! 😂😆

the album in Stereo LPCM and Lossy 5.1 DTS would occupy like what 5 Gigs of disc space or less? hence the 4.4GBs of 2.0 and 5.1 content in Title 4, i suppose!

i'll bet you could put the entire contents of the BD on a DVD if you had the video content (hopefully/maybe sourced from broadcast video tape?) at 480p/576i, which is probably about all it would warrant!

its intriguing all the audio from the video content is on the disc twice and also the Stereo album is on the disc twice but the 5.1 DTS is only on the disc once.

Jon, i'm so sorry about your hearing difficulties 😔 is there anything that can be done about it? i hope so! 🤞 big hugs, good to see you here where you belong 🤗

What email address did you use to request the replacement? The one I used for Universal bounced back and didn’t work. My Madman set gets here on Monday and like you I’m trying to get ahead of the game.
Double check the address that you sent too. For some reason it took me three times to get google to accept @umusic, it kept on changing it to @music very frustrating but the 3rd attempt was accepted and no bounceback

Double check the address that you sent too. For some reason it took me three times to get google to accept @umusic, it kept on changing it to @music very frustrating but the 3rd attempt was accepted and no bounceback

wow the Mail app on my iPhone does not like that address!! 🤦‍♀️ it took umpteen times to get it to send but it seemed to go through in the end 😂 🤞

Back