Because Sound Matters (on-line DVD-A record store from Warner)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's see how they react to all of the people asking for DVD-A. It's funny, most posts are about DVD-A and AFAIK there is no managed movement to do so.

Let's see how they react to all of the people asking for DVD-A. It's funny, most posts are about DVD-A and AFAIK there is no managed movement to do so.

Really like what you spelled out in your post!

I don't think that there's any DVD-A campaign going on (beside 5 posts by me) but it's pretty clear people are hungry for DVD-A. The Hoffman-ettes are also showing a lot of DVD-A interest (and netiquette) which surprises me. I'm sure it's 2.0 DVD-A interest, but that's part of the fuel here.

Only one or two nay-sayers and pretty quiet at that. I really wanted to see it hit 50 posts in 24 hrs so this is good. :smokin

I don't think it's funny (strange) at all the that most posts are about dvd-a. It's a Vinyl/Dvd-a store. The needs of the vinyl camp are already being met so they don't need to comment. We're the ones that, so far, are being neglected so naturally we are speaking up.

I like to see the 5.1 DVD-A interest, hopefully they'll respond to the requests. Re-issuing the out of print Warner DVDA titles would be a start, but I'd really like to see some of the other rumored titles finally see the light of day.

If the mixes are already done in 5.1 for some of the titles they would be putting out in Hi-Rez stereo, is there a real reason they couldn't include the 5.1 mixes as well?

I understand that there may be some licensing issues at work. Still...

(500 posts. Woo!)

I can't think of any reason they couldn't use this opportunity to release the 5.1 mixes they've already completed. Recently the Doors and Genesis hi-rez boxes have seemed quite popular, so there's definitely still some demand. And doing it through their new website would seem to be lower risk than trying to send the discs to stores that don't seem to know what to do with them and don't want them. (But hey what do I know, I'm just a fan who's trying to buy almost every rock/pop 5.1 release out there.)

If the mixes are already done in 5.1 for some of the titles they would be putting out in Hi-Rez stereo, is there a real reason they couldn't include the 5.1 mixes as well?

I understand that there may be some licensing issues at work. Still...

(500 posts. Woo!)

Is it even any cheaper to do a vinyl re-release than a DVD-A re-release? And is the vinyl market in 2007 still bigger than the 5.1 market???

At least they haven't come out and said "absolutely no 5.1 dvd-a discs". I'm still skeptical that we'll ever see 5.1 discs, but some hope is better than none. If they do release the 2-channel dvd-audio discs, hopefully the reception will be positive enough to encourage them to try releasing some multi-channel discs.

Let's not kill them. Let's get STEREO DVD-AUDIOs going as a foundation, with the 5.1 for special titles. Anything is better than nothing, and I personally (and selfishly) want at least stereo DVD-Audio's (over 24/96 DAD) to be made. If these sell, then maybe they will see the light towards releasing the stuff that's already done in 5.1.

We know they have this stuff. Let's not get too negative over there. Keep the DVD-A flag flying. Sony has bailed on stereo SACD for no reason at all and they invented the freaking format. Let DVD-A pick up the HiRez slack and sliding back into 5.1 HiRez will be easier.

Baby steps. Baby steps my friends!! :D

Let's not kill them.

Baby steps. Baby steps my friends!! :D

I reedited my post way down and tried to be completely positive. BSM seems like a sincere attempt to reach out to the hardcore music fans. I don't know if they'll listen to our posts and follow through with our requests, but you never know.

Last edited:
Well, I guess if the format survives, there will always be a chance for 5.1 releases, especially since the 5.1 infrastructure must be maintained for DVD Video. We aren't getting any younger though. I would like to see the 5.1 releases sooner, rather than later. If not, then, the quad masters that have already been created including ones that were mixed, but never released. But there appears to be a lot of interest in 5.1 0ver there. Maybe it has a chance. So, I wonder just how many 5.1 releases they would have to sell before they consider it profitable. Could they signifigantly reduce that figure if they doubled the price?

The Quadfather

I agree with N. There is NO question in my mind that my stack of DVDAs and SACDs are night and day when compared to mp3s. But IN MY CAR and while RIDING MY BIKE, the convenience of having 6,500 songs in random wins.

The last time I checked, I have a 6-disc DVD-Audio changer in my car! (y)

Acura TL baby!... :banana:

For me in my car, 6-dicss of 96khz/24-bit MLP wins over thousands of crappy mp3s. I also have a JVC TH-C5 home theater and a computer system with Altec Lansing 5.1 speakers/Soundblaster Audigy 2, and my car's surround sound system beats both of them.

Amen! If I wanted to listen to crappy sounding music, then I would turn off the surround system and crank on my grammophone. I even have a rock and roll 78 RPM record for it! I'll pass on MP3.

The Quadfather

Amen! If I wanted to listen to crappy sounding music, then I would turn off the surround system and crank on my grammophone. I even have a rock and roll 78 RPM record for it! I'll pass on MP3.

The Quadfather

Hey, me too! I have a 1915 Edison Diamond Disc player that I play around with just for fun and the novelty. It will play the 80 RPM Edison Discs, and with an adapter reproducer, the 78 RPM RCA records. So the first format war was about 100 years ago. Ironic huh? :D

Dennis

Hey, me too! I have a 1915 Edison Diamond Disc player that I play around with just for fun and the novelty. It will play the 80 RPM Edison Discs, and with an adapter reproducer, the 78 RPM RCA records. So the first format war was about 100 years ago. Ironic huh? :D

Dennis

I assume, since we don't use a vertical movement stylus, that RCA 78's won that war.

Back