Dutton Vocalion September 2022 Surround Sound SACDs (3)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a compromise then I'll stream it. I like owning these but have to draw a line somewhere. If it was just the first album I'd be more inclined to get it, but really hard to justify GBP 24.

Incidentally, I imagine this is part of why Sony is so open to working with D-V - they get a digital quad transfer they can put up for streaming in Atmos and D-V just gets the UK SACD rights for a period.
yeay! that's great! 🎉🥳

i'm sure it'll grow on you (*) and you'll be wanting the sonic upgrade of the SACD in the fullness of time

(* and that's a Freddie guarantee! 😋😉 )

a shame, you'll be missing out on one of the all-time most actively discrete and downright fun CBS Quad mixes which for me elevates the material (which i agree is 50-year old Pop/Rock very much of its time) and makes it hugely more engaging and immersive in Surround Sound ✌️"peace everybody!" as the song goes! 😄
Is "Mamita Linda" inspired by our very own @Quad Linda ???

Haven't had a chance to check out this thread, 'til today nor visit D-V. This makes my weekend! A Quad dream come true. One of my most played Quads: Azteca. Not only that, but coupled w/Pyramid. I bought that the day it hit the street, though it went OOP soon.

My first exposure was in college walking into Musicland (RIP) and finding 2ch LP of Azteca. Looks cool and probably like Santana. ... At first, it didn't hit me. With subsequent spins, I got into it. I got the Q8 when it first hit the next year. Q8 is my most played copy, and one of my most played Quads. Also bought an SQ, GNP and Japan Blu-Spec CD's. Pyramid I bought on 2ch LP & Japan Blu-Spec CD. Don't believe there has been another CD release of it.

Mix is a 10: a 16 piece group w/ CBS "discrete" Quad mix. No crazy pans or tricks...

Music: imagine Santana w/horns, expanded keyboards and percussion. More Afro-Cuban & Funk/Soul/Jazz. Led by Thomas "Coke" Escovedo and his brother Pete (Sheila E's Dad.) Coke wrote "No One to Depend On" and was featured on percussion on Santana 3.

Players include Coke, and Pete. Neil Schon guests. Lenny White III (pre RTF), and Paul Jackson Jr. (pre Headhunters) were two members of the 16. 4 people alternate on lead vocal duties. Most of these folks sing backup.

Pyramid is a bit more commercial and a bit less "ethnic." Yet, I like it at least as much. If you have serious wattage, crank "Mazatlan." A good 1973 demo of how punchy a great system with wide dynamic range can be. Stunning through Ortofon Moving Coil! LP was a bit too noisy.

Clive Davis signed these folks at Santana's recommendation. Rumor has it that CS wanted to disband his band and join this one. Clive wouldn't hear of it. Hence, these two albums.

Think I'll go spin that Blu-Spec of Pyramid today. LP is my most played, though the CD may have been played over 100 times itself.

Got a promo CD-4 of Friends' of Distinction Greatest from RCA. One of my least played Quads. Yet, Grazin' in the Grass w/lyrics has been played several hundred time, via my QR & Q8 mix tapes on CBS Converta Quad blanks. (later bought Maxell)

Probably will pass on Kristofferson, as I did in Quad days. Great songwriter.

Azteca, you NEED it!

(edit) PS: lots of Azteca (band) on You Tube, including '07 reunion CD & DVD-V.

Last edited:
Haven't had a chance to check out this thread, 'til today nor visit D-V. This makes my weekend! A Quad dream come true. One of my most played Quads: Azteca. Not only that, but coupled w/Pyramid. I bought that the day it hit the street, though it went OOP soon.

My first exposure was in college walking into Musicland (RIP) and finding 2ch LP of Azteca. Looks cool and probably like Santana. ... At first, it didn't hit me. With subsequent spins, I got into it. I got the Q8 when it first hit the next year. Q8 is my most played copy, and one of my most played Quads. Also bought an SQ, GNP and Japan Blu-Spec CD's. Pyramid I bought on 2ch LP & Japan Blu-Spec CD. Don't believe there has been another CD release of it.

Mix is a 10: a 16 piece group w/ CBS "discrete" Quad mix. No crazy pans or tricks...

Music: imagine Santana w/horns, expanded keyboards and percussion. More Afro-Cuban & Funk/Soul/Jazz. Led by Thomas "Coke" Escovedo and his brother Pete (Sheila E's Dad.) Coke wrote "No One to Depend On" and was featured on percussion on Santana 3.

Players include Coke, and Pete. Neil Schon guests. Lenny White III (pre RTF), and Paul Jackson Jr. (pre Headhunters) were two members of the 16. 4 people alternate on lead vocal duties. Most of these folks sing backup.

Pyramid is a bit more commercial and a bit less "ethnic." Yet, I like it at least as much. If you have serious wattage, crank "Mazatlan." A good 1973 demo of how punchy a great system with wide dynamic range can be. Stunning through Ortofon Moving Coil! LP was a bit too noisy.

Clive Davis signed these folks at Santana's recommendation. Rumor has it that CS wanted to disband his band and join this one. Clive wouldn't hear of it. Hence, these two albums.

Think I'll go spin that Blu-Spec of Pyramid today. LP is my most played, though the CD may have been played over 100 times itself.

Got a promo CD-4 of Friends' of Distinction Greatest from RCA. One of my least played Quads. Yet, Grazin' in the Grass w/lyrics has been played several hundred time, via my QR & Q8 mix tapes on CBS Converta Quad blanks. (later bought Maxell)

Probably will pass on Kristofferson, as I did in Quad days. Great songwriter.

Azteca, you NEED it!
PASS on Kristofferson, QLINDA? Four QUAD albums one [Spooky Lady's Sideshow] recorded at 30 ips meticulously transferred to QUAD SACD by the Wizard himself, M. Dutton ...and all for $11.19 per album which is what I paid with 'priority' s/h charges included. Great songwriter indeed and once again, SQ done RIGHT!

And living in Chicago, you need some Country~MIDwestern in your life!

Last edited:
Will reconsider. SQ has sounded pretty damn good between vintage (refurb in '03) Sony SQD-2020 (discrete devices) and Ortofon MC. My preferred way of listening to Azteca (I) in Quad these days. Likely, it will decode even better when I get a Surround Master. Although, rumour has it that D-V has done an SACD version...

As to country, I have several hundred CD's and a few dozen SACD'S.

Everyones cup of tea is different. I wonder if 4 albums of Friends of Distinction is 3 too many. Bought the CD4 Greatest Hits from Baggy. Immediately thought I bet these will be reissued by DV soon as what happened when I bought an SQ vinyl of Charlie Rich. Yes I like grazing in the Grass and recognized a few other songs. But kind of lightweight. Maybe I will change my mind. Have a few of the Kristofferson albums. Will listen more to that. Really the question is with so much music that you have heard before how often will you really listen before you are off to the next reissue purchase?
Of course glad to have these from DV

PASS on Kristofferson, QLINDA? Four QUAD albums one [Spooky Lady's Sideshow] recorded at 30 ips meticulously transferred to QUAD SACD by the Wizard himself, M. Dutton ...and all for $11.19 per album which is what I paid with 'priority' s/h charges included. Great songwriter indeed and once again, SQ done RIGHT!

And living in Chicago, you need some Country~MIDwestern in your life!
Linda’s very politely stating what I thought when this new batch was announced and it included 4 Kristoffersons - great songwriter, not so great singer.

Everyones cup of tea is different. I wonder if 4 albums of Friends of Distinction is 3 too many. Bought the CD4 Greatest Hits from Baggy. Immediately thought I bet these will be reissued by DV soon as what happened when I bought an SQ vinyl of Charlie Rich. Yes I like grazing in the Grass and recognized a few other songs. But kind of lightweight. Maybe I will change my mind. Have a few of the Kristofferson albums. Will listen more to that. Really the question is with so much music that you have heard before how often will you really listen before you are off to the next reissue purchase?
Of course glad to have these from DV
That’s my thoughts on Friends of Distinction, 4 is too many.
Though this set is the better value, a pair of twofers would have been better IMO.
The samples I listened to were barely soul, veering into easy listening territory.
So probably a pass.

Azteca for me this round, that’s it.

Last edited:
I'm in for Friends and the Kristoffersons'.... passed on Azteca so I don't order an odd number of discs. Might go back for it later just to be a completeist.
Four albums on two discs though. I'm happy that this stuff is getting out and you can't argue with the value.... maybe I'm just old fashioned as I'd like one album per disc.
But, buggerers can't be choosey.

you know, the "trouble" with this batch of releases is.. there's just too much Quad..!! 😂😂

ok, The Friends Of Distinction are not The Beatles but it does feel deliciously ironic we'll merrily pay £150 quid for a boxset of "Revolver" upmixes yet when presented with a set of 4 genuine Quad albums for £23.99 that's somehow a cause for consternation.. 🤔

anyway, back to my morning Scotch and Cornflakes ☕😋🥃🤤

Yep! Had to raise some awareness of this title, it's that good.
lovely! 😍

can you please do something to support DV as well? 🙏

frankly we're in a faintly ridiculous situation right now, where after an incredibly testing time they've just delivered a batch of 9 Quads over just 3 releases, representing astonishingly good value for money, all lovingly remastered from the original mastertapes in the undoubted best quality we're ever gonna get and yet people here and at the Hoffman board are still nitpicking and whining on about it? 😂

Isn't one of the Azteca Quad titles available on Apple or Tidal, :unsure: so does this mean being on there isn't a 'blocker' for Quad releases from DV?
Hopefully DV has a special relationship that will allow them to keep releasing quad sacd's, Super Deluxe seem to have an arrangement.
The other scenario is that these were contracted before being blocked

Back