Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
despite there being at least 3 different versions of Superfly on Apple Music, none of them are in Atmos here in the UK! 🤷‍♀️ is that a diamond in the back or what!! 😂
Steve Woolard from Rhino mentioned on SHF a few years back that a 5.1 remix of Superfly was planned and later abandoned due to missing multitracks. Have they turned up, or is this another upmix?

A prime example of Apple's F'ing stupidity with layering different mixes on top of each other based on player capabilities.

If you add this to your library it will show it is 3:31.

If you play it on a Dolby Atmos capable device you will get the full 5:50 version and the lyrics on your screen will not synch at all.

Dolby Atmos albums/tracks should be separate releases! Stop layering different works of art on top of each other. Garbage practice.

A prime example of Apple's F'ing stupidity with layering different mixes on top of each other based on player capabilities.

If you add this to your library it will show it is 3:31.

If you play it on a Dolby Atmos capable device you will get the full 5:50 version and the lyrics on your screen will not synch at all.

Dolby Atmos albums/tracks should be separate releases! Stop layering different works of art on top of each other. Garbage practice.
oh Lordy!! it is bloody annoying, i agree.

is it worse than the upmixes Warner's been doing lately? i dunno, i may have to be more selective about which of their Atmos offerings i fill my Library up with in future.. 🤔

sorry i don't know, none of the versions of Superfly on Apple Music in the UK are in Atmos! 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️😭
I feel your pain Freddie Baby!
Listened to most of it last night, it said Atmos, but sounded all stereo to me. However, I was reminded how much I enjoy that album and it sounded pretty good.

If a good de-mix/re-mix would happen for that title, I certainly wouldn’t mind. I was just imagining what instruments would go where, like some left side percussion in the rear left and wah wah guitar rear right. I could just tell that how dynamic it sounded, it would probably de-mix pretty well.

Oh well, wish in one hand, spit in another (excuse me while I grab my hanky and wipe my tears)

I feel your pain Freddie Baby!
Listened to most of it last night, it said Atmos, but sounded all stereo to me. However, I was reminded how much I enjoy that album and it sounded pretty good.

If a good de-mix/re-mix would happen for that title, I certainly wouldn’t mind. I was just imagining what instruments would go where, like some left side percussion in the rear left and wah wah guitar rear right. I could just tell that how dynamic it sounded, it would probably de-mix pretty well.

Oh well, wish in one hand, spit in another (excuse me while I grab my hanky and wipe my tears)
have you tried the Christopher Cross tracks yet? 🤔
so much i'd like to say about them.. 🤐

Only three tracks are Atmos for me and not that special unfortunately
Try the bonus track version. Should have the whole album in 'Atmos'. Agree, not even sure if these are discrete mixes? It's Warner again... What the heck has happened? Have they been taken over by Silverline?!

Dark Sky Island is also in Atmos and a few tracks from Watermark - including Orinoco Flow. But nowhere near what I was hoping for them to be in surround.

Only three tracks are Atmos for me and not that special unfortunately
Even weirder on Tidal. https://tidal.com/album/246303332
All in Atmos, but the order of the songs is nothing like the original. Caribbean Blue is there only in title. The song playing back is Cursum Perficio from her first solo album!

Even weirder on Tidal. https://tidal.com/album/246303332
All in Atmos, but the order of the songs is nothing like the original. Caribbean Blue is there only in title. The song playing back is Cursum Perficio from her first solo album!

I just noticed this and came to report it. Same on Apple. NOT Caribbean Blue, But Cursum Perficio which is the 2nd track on Watermark.

Well here’s a neat one. Not all tracks have it, but there’s at least one per volume. Shouts out to r/spatialsongs, where I found this, The… breadth of material here means I haven’t checked each track but:

I’m going to assume that all LOTR albums will eventually get Atmos-ified soonish because:
1. All these songs are in Atmos *anyway* in the new 4K restorations (same for the Hobbit Trilogy)
2. It’s good marketing for the new Amazon show that’s *also in Atmos* (and quite good. Curious to see… where it goes, considering they only have the rights to the appendices of The Lord of The Rings, and not the treasure trove of published and unpublished material Tolkien wrote about the time frame the show’s set in)

You mean how they sound like an upmix? I’m super disappointed but not surprised since I was told the multis can’t be found.

“Arthur’s Theme” is the worst Atmos track out there.
yes and absolutely the worst kind of upmix as well because they have absolutely no Surround separation at all! 🤦‍♀️

i was looking at waveforms of the Atmos bed of the S/T album and basically all they did was sum the "Front L&R" (i.e. the original Stereo!) into the Centre and drastically lower volume, duplicate the "Fronts" in the Rears with what seemed like reverb and possibly a bit of EQ/filtering and then lower the levels in those so-called Rear channels and then fashion an LFE out of all that garbage. just pure fake nonsense everywhere but the Front L&R, its appalling frankly, imho they should not be doing this and should concentrate their resources on genuine Atmos mixes and getting all their fantastic Quads out instead.

Reactions: Ick
Well here’s a neat one. Not all tracks have it, but there’s at least one per volume. Shouts out to r/spatialsongs, where I found this, The… breadth of material here means I haven’t checked each track but:

I’m going to assume that all LOTR albums will eventually get Atmos-ified soonish because:
1. All these songs are in Atmos *anyway* in the new 4K restorations (same for the Hobbit Trilogy)
2. It’s good marketing for the new Amazon show that’s *also in Atmos* (and quite good. Curious to see… where it goes, considering they only have the rights to the appendices of The Lord of The Rings, and not the treasure trove of published and unpublished material Tolkien wrote about the time frame the show’s set in)
curious how they compare to the old DVD-Audio's.. 🤔

Thank you sir, may your sword cut deep on the The Black Rider- Nazgûl

Nazgul Hildebrandt.jpg

Back