Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bjork's new single is up!
https://tidal.com/browse/album/243563727

Only listened to the 5.1 bed but sounds very discrete at times with her vocals layered in the surrounds nicely.
Love the song too, though I can't see the single bringing her much mainstream attention 😅

FWIW, it's extremely quiet on Tidal and the beats seem to get lost a bit compared to the stereo mix. This might be the dialnorm thing though.

Looking forward to the whole album and very happy to see her back to surround sound. Now if only she re-mixed Vulnicura and Utopia..
Maybe noted before

Did Tidal have the same issue with ‘Elegantly Wasted’? It shows it correctly for me and has done since last weekend.
Elegantly Wasted was playing "correctly" for me on Tidal so hopefully, it's fixed on the Apple side now.

I think SDE dodged a bullet when Universal cancelled their blu-ray release at the last minute. Although, I suspect we're not hearing the INXS Atmos mixes as we're supposed to on the streaming services. They're definitely weird on Tidal anyway. The volume fluctuates radically between tracks on both Kick and Best Of. The usual transition from Need You Tonight to Mediate is like a 12dB difference! My BDA of Kick does not have that issue. I wonder if the mix engineers check out their own mixes on the services... I can't imagine the mixes on Best Of were what Giles presented to Universal.

If I had mixed this I would have stayed anonymous too. :-( This doesn't sound good. Upmix? Less dynamics and no sonic upgrade compared to the stereo remaster. What's the point?
Yeah, that West End Girls mix was awful. Are they on Warners these days because that would explain it.

It's just weird that a-ha get the white glove treatment with Steven Wilson mixing Take On Me and Pet Shop Boys get screwed with their first surround mix. It's like The Living Daylights all over again!

Elegantly Wasted was playing "correctly" for me on Tidal so hopefully, it's fixed on the Apple side now.

You would think but that track is now greyed out on Apple Music (if you had added it to your library previously it magically changed into the track on the Elegantly Wasted album (with that album name and track number) so it isn't showing on the Very Best Of album at all. At least that is what happened in my library. Really screwed up.

Bjork's new single is up!
https://tidal.com/browse/album/243563727

Only listened to the 5.1 bed but sounds very discrete at times with her vocals layered in the surrounds nicely.
Love the song too, though I can't see the single bringing her much mainstream attention 😅

FWIW, it's extremely quiet on Tidal and the beats seem to get lost a bit compared to the stereo mix. This might be the dialnorm thing though.

Looking forward to the whole album and very happy to see her back to surround sound. Now if only she re-mixed Vulnicura and Utopia..
Oh, that's excellent news! I had an email from One Little Independent a few days ago about the upcoming release, and there was no mention of surround.

Yeah, that West End Girls mix was awful. Are they on Warners these days because that would explain it.

It's just weird that a-ha get the white glove treatment with Steven Wilson mixing Take On Me and Pet Shop Boys get screwed with their first surround mix. It's like The Living Daylights all over again!
Even though I would have loved a SW mix of West End Girls I also happen to be Norwegian so I am perfectly happy with his priorities in this matter. 😉

I confess I need to dig deeper into a-ha's catalog but did buy their first two singles and always enjoyed them. SW's mix of Take On Me is superb! :)
Yeah I love it. Hope he's doing the rest of the album. Or more. I imagine a lot of their songs would work well in atmos e.g. their second album Scoundrel Days.

Last edited:
I listened to this last night, it's okay, but not as stellar an Atmos mix as say Hopeless Fountain Kingdom which is pretty amazing. I was hoping to have more of Trent Reznor's work in the surrounds, but that's hit and miss. On a few songs, a wall of sound approach in the fronts persists. Still, this album is fantastic on its musical merits and this mix is still better than most on Tidal.
I've been listening a bit to Halsey's last album since it was released and have to say I like it very much. When you say it's not so 'stellar' as some of her other albums, I think I understand. This is probably not one for show off at the local hifi store. Nevertheless I think the mix is really good. A big thank you to mix engineer John Hanes who also worked on the stereo mix with Serban Ghenea. The stereo mix is very 'surroundy'. Lot of phase manipulated sounds and effects. It would be very wrong to turn this into a ping-pongy sort of atmos mix. Instead it is true to the original. The Atmos mix makes it easier to hear all the layers in this great production. Just try to count vocal overdubs! Even 'Darling' that seem like a simple song at first listen, turns out to be more complex once you get under the hood. (And of course there's Lindsay Buckingham's excellent guitar play too). You can really spend some time figuring out how it is put together. There are so many elements that are neatly placed all around you often within their own reverb zone that overlaps a bit with the next. The levelling of the elements are perfectly balanced. At times the sound balances on the edge of almost becoming too much, too bright, too distorted, but IMHO it never crosses that line. Instead it emphasises Halsey's desperation and expressions. I really love all the facets this album has. It is a pop album and a rock album with so many references to e.g. alternative rock (like Radiohead) and psychedelia (Beatles late 60s). The Atmos version makes it even better. I won't be going back to the stereo version any time soon!

If you need some song recommendations to start off with, may I suggest you make a playlist of these songs:
-The Tradition
-Bells in Santa Fe
-Darling
-People disappear here
And you should check out her other albums in Atmos as well. Great stuff.

Back