Elton John "Don't Shoot Me..." box??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh! it would be wonderful! 😍

although, the 5.1 aside (which would be incredible to hear at last!) i don't know quite what else they'd flesh it out with?

the extra tracks on the Remastered CD amount to 4 tracks and they've all been reissued multiple times (even in 5.1 on the GYBR DVD-A/SACD) plus afaik there's no complete video footage and no complete live concert audio from that specific period.. hmm.. 🤔

still "just" the 5.1 at last would be amazing!!🤞❤️

So ever since the announcement and release of the "Madman Across the Water" box set, I naturally thought that future box sets would follow, at least up to and including "Captain Fantastic".
I also naturally assumed that "Honky Chateau" would follow "Madman" as the next box set but it appears that is not the case according to the OP on SHTV:
Elton John " Don't Shoot Me I am Only The Piano Player" to get 50th boxed set next year.
Apparently the Universal Fire in 2008 wiped out a lot of material that would have been included in a "Honky Chateau" box set, but it appears that even beyond the unreleased 5.1 mix that they have enough material in the vaults for a "Don't Shoot Me..." box set so it looks like that will be coming next!
This supposed upcoming release is also due in part it seems to the fact that sales of the "Madman" box exceeded expectations so naturally they are progressing forward with other sets.
So I'm hoping for the "Don't Shoot Me..." set in the first half of 2023 followed of course by a "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" 50th anniversary set in the second half of 2023.

:)

I haven’t listened to this album in decades because no surround version was released. I had forgotten how much I like the set list on this album, so I’m hoping that it comes to fruition…at a reasonable price.

Hope it's true. Don't Shoot Me is a special one for me as it's the first Elton album I ever heard, when I was seven years old. I was immediately hooked and still am. I actually first heard the album while on a trip to Zaire. My dad was a university professor and had been given a grant for academic research there. We were there for six weeks. (Being in central Africa was quite an eye opener for a seven year old from Connecticut!) We were befriended by a local professor who had kids my age who were already Elton fans. They were playing Don't Shoot Me regularly at their house and I loved it. When we got back to Connecticut my parents bought me a copy and my Elton fandom began. I have to admit that I now tire a little bit of the two hits, but the deep cuts on this album are all stellar, not a weak one in the bunch. "Have Mercy On the Criminal", "Teacher I Need You", "Elderberry Wine", "Blues For Baby and Me"..... All just amazing. And my favorite, "High Flying Bird" is one I play regularly when I sit at my piano. Fingers crossed that Greg Penny's 5.1 mix finally gets paroled from its twenty year prison sentence in the Universal vault!

Last edited:
I have to admit that I now tire a little bit of the two hits, but the deep cuts on this album are all stellar, not a weak one in the bunch. "Have Mercy On the Criminal", "Teacher I Need You", "Elderberry Wine", "Blues For Baby and Me"..... All just amazing. And my favorite, "High Flying Bird" is one I play regularly when I sit at my piano. Fingers crossed that Greg Penny's 5.1 mix finally gets paroled from its twenty year prison sentence in the Universal vault!

Yes Yes... Elderberry Wine & High Flying Bird... Gonna be a Teenage Idol ... great tracks

Unfortunately the individual who broke the news of this over on the other forum now has this to say:

Unfortunately I have said all I can say other than the release will not be as soon as originally planned. Packaging issues also it may not be a physical release they are seriously considering the download route. I will keep you posted if I can say more.

🤬:cry:

Unfortunately the individual who broke the news of this over on the other forum now has this to say:
Unfortunately I have said all I can say other than the release will not be as soon as originally planned. Packaging issues also it may not be a physical release they are seriously considering the download route. I will keep you posted if I can say more.
Screwing up the blu-ray disc on the "Madman Across The Water" 50th Anniversary box-set will probably be used as an excuse not to release a physical disc... Which is not good for us collectors!

For the record, I have no problem with a paid download (as opposed to a Blue-Ray). I just want to hear the Greg Penny mix in all its glory. In the end, it's just ones and zeroes. A bit is a bit, whether it comes on an acrylic disc or as a signal on a fiber optic cable.
Ditto. But I would feel really bad for the collectors who want the box sets. People are physical beings who enjoy physical things.

to me it is an utter disgrace the way one of the arguably most important back catalogues in Rock & Pop History has been handled by the label.

by the time Blue Moves' 50th Anniversary rolls round in 2026 there should have at the very least been Super Deluxe Editions of all his 70's Classic Albums ("Elton John" to "Blue Moves") standardized in the same configuration as the Madman 50th, with a Book, Bonus tracks, Live tracks, Hi-Res Stereo & Surround and Video content.

i also think they should do DE's or SDE's of his better latter-day albums (2Lo40, The One, MIE, SFTWC..) and how about a Mono "Empty Sky" at last!?

Ditto. But I would feel really bad for the collectors who want the box sets. People are physical beings who enjoy physical things.
very true and i know a number of Eltonfans who bought the Madman SDE with absolutely no care for Hi-Res or Surround at all, they wanted the physical package and also the book and previously unreleased content were draws from what they told me.

Back