John Mellencamp Scarecrow ATMOS Blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A place I've never heard of has this title as preorder. While it's still $149, if you sign up for email notifications they give you 20% off first order. So, would be like this for US customers.

The Sound of Vinyl

1663421651166.png

In the last couple years box set prices have really risen unreasonably high IMO. Paying $150. - $300 for box sets to get what you really want: the 5.1/ Atmos mixes is nuts. Almost all of these overpriced box sets drop drastically in price ( See the Band - Cahoots) after a few months. Unless this is a true classic with included 5.1 / Atmos mixes - ex. Who’s Next / Abbey Road - they won’t get premium money from me. I will purchase 5.1 box sets which are reasonable values such as the Be Bop Deluxe/ Jethro Tull/ Marillion or preferred stand alone blu rays such as the new Pink Floyd - Animals / Tears for Fears - The Tipping Point Atmos 5.1.

My kid sister was into John Cougar back in '79, which made him anathema to me. By the time Scarecrow came out, i was paying attention! Ultimately, Human Wheels is my favorite Mellencamp, but the possibility of hearing Scarecrow in Atmos (which i'm not even set up for yet–7.1 in Clementland!) has me excited. What has me even more excited is reading about the price at jpc.de! I kept adding releases to my cart to see what the cost for multiple items would be to Illinois in the USA once the VAT is removed. When i added Scarecrow (click on the title to take you to the jpd.de page) and saw it would make it to my front door for $90.75, i ordered that R.O.C.K. to my Small Town!

I will pick this up if it is a stand-alone BR just to hear the mix. I have several of his albums but, for me, his music hasn't aged well. I rarely have the desire to listen to him. If I were going to spend $150 on this, I'd sooner go back and order the Kiss "Destroyer" album, which is now down to $161 on Amazon.

Amazon's price is the list price, they aren't inflating it. They don't set the list prices, so your complaint is probably better directed at UME.
Amazon have been known to drop their prices below list before the release date. It has already happened with the Floyd Animals deluxe due in November.

I don't want to be a Debbie downer here, but the Atmos version of Small Town is on Apple Music and it sounds like badly upmixed stereo. Have a listen before you pay a lot for the deluxe version.
I was wondering how this album would sound in surround. Especially, in Atmos. This album already has a huge, spacious and dynamic presentation in stereo. If Small Town is any indication of what’s to come, I’m likely to cancel my order.

Just curious about the mix of American Fool? I haven't seen it mentioned, and I haven't listened to it yet.

Back