Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SLACKERS, REJOICE. Highdefdigest's RECOMMENDED review of Paramount's 30th Anniversary Native UHD4K release of WAYNE'S WORLD [HDR10/Dolby Vision/new DOLBY ATMOS soundtrack]

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/109788/waynesworld4kultrahdbluray.html
Party on! Speaking of the 90's, I watched Scream 4K last night and it's still a fun one. Surround mix is OK. A small number of low lows. Skin tones look a smidge pinker than I remember but no biggie. Still a fun watch. It rips along with no let-up. One of the few movies that just keeps going until it's over.

Party on! Speaking of the 90's, I watched Scream 4K last night and it's still a fun one. Surround mix is OK. A small number of low lows. Skin tones look a smidge pinker than I remember but no biggie. Still a fun watch. It rips along with no let-up. One of the few movies that just keeps going until it's over.
For shits and giggles I watched BOTH SCREAM [the original] and SCREAM 2022 in UHD4K and they both entertained, as expected but I didn't notice any pink anomalies with the former. Ever since I set up my LG 3D OLED TV in 2016, I NEVER once touched my original factory settings!

Am looking forward to buying the Native UHD4K title "I Know What You Did Last Summer' as it's garnered reference quality reviews even though I don't consider it a 'classic!'

With SO many 'unwatched' UHD4K titles piling up, I really should be MORE selective.....but when they blow them out for $10 .... who can resist?

With SO many 'unwatched' UHD4K titles piling up, I really should be MORE selective.....but when they blow them out for $10 .... who can resist?
I'm with you, for $10 each I got the 2 Jack Reacher flicks, Snatch and went $16 for Unforgiven and $20 for Escape From Alcatraz.
Now give me my damn Crow and Seven Samurai in 4k

I'm with you, for $10 each I got the 2 Jack Reacher flicks, Snatch and went $16 for Unforgiven and $20 for Escape From Alcatraz.
I have a feeling that the Original CROW will have a 4K release when the new version of The Crow starring Bill Skarsgard is released

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/ne...-date-cast-and-plot-of-the-remake/ar-AA13FKC5

'It' Actor Bill Skarsgard to Star in 'The Crow' Reimagining

Last edited:
That first Jack Reacher flick was awesome. The latest books have been a bit dull though since little brother has taken over all the leg work.

Most of the 'boutique' reissue companies are charging upward of $50
  • for their UHD4K reissues because of higher licensing fees from the majors! So I naturally try to wait for the sales. KINO LORBER, in particular, usually discounts a LOT [but not ALL] of their 4K films down to $14.99 [from their website] when they have their sales and blu rays down to $7.99 ~ $9.99.

And as Marplot pointed out ... Barnes and Noble and sometimes even AmazonUS have their semi annual 50% off sales on Criterion so the best price for their 4K discs is $25 .......

Arrow and Shout/Scream's 4K discs are NOT as heavily discounted but once in awhile they do dip down to the low~mid $25 level and rarely lower!

And some of those SPECIAL EDITION 4K box sets are $60 ~ $75 [and even higher] depending on content and are sometimes further discounted through their websites.

It does pay to wait when a new 4K title is released because haste does make waste...unless the disc or box set you want is a LIMITED EDTION and then goes OOP!
But then again, I do consider 4K movies a veritable bargain when compared to MUSIC box sets where one is asked to spend upward of $300 JUST to obtain a Dolby Atmos physical disc .......there's a LOT more work in remastering movies, IMO, than a 40 minute music disc ... and most movies today have ATMOS mixes ... or even remixes!

So put that in your thinking cap!

Last edited:
I own AK 100 and if they dropped it in 4k tomorrow I would get my wallet and walmart greeter application ready ...
But yes, knowing who does sales and when saves quite a bit of money.

I forgot that Amazon also does Criterion sales around when B&N does .. probably to siphon sales.

I've gotten a lot more choosy on my Criterion 4K purchases since it's rare you can find a title under $25. Getting closer to their laserdisc prices although back then I don't recall 50% off sales.
Totally agree. I was able to get quite a few 4K titles in the $10-15 range last year, but good luck with that this year. Train To Busan @ $13.99 is the only one I’ve recently purchased due to the ridiculous prices 4Ks are currently commanding.

Flashback (2020) BD:

1. I watched this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0914LKQSL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 last night and found it an enjoyably nice Canadian thriller. Cover makes it look all sci-fi but it ain't. I remember watching the trailer a few years ago under the original title of The Education of Frederick Fitzell or something, then forgot all about it.

2. DTS-MA 5.1 has some decent low bits. Surround mix was OK. Fidelity is fine.

3. Pilotpriest (Anthony Scott Burns) did the score that you can download 24-bit FLACs for here:

4. This dude also scored/wrote/directed decent Canadian indie horror/thriller Come True (2021) https://www.amazon.com/Come-True-Bl...me+true+lu+ray,movies-tv-intl-ship,257&sr=1-1 which has a decent surround mix.

5. 24-bit FLACs for his Come True score can be downloaded here:

6. But wait, there's more: 24-bit FLACs for Electric Youth's/Pilotpriest's score for Come True can be downloaded here: https://www.hdtracks.com/#/album/6033c4d5c07f796b0e9c8b4b

Back