Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$7.99 at BestBuy, only of value if they have a local copy otherwise $4.99 shipping
I paid $8.99 for HEAT [4k} recently from AmazonUS w free s/h and as I stated in a previous review of the disc it was encoded WAY TOO DARK and my advice [as well as that of timothyemerson] is to AVOID.

Definitely needs a NEW remaster!

Last edited:
yeah I saw your note which is a bit heartbreaking since in general, 4K has really brought out details for movies where were too dark originally.

yeah I saw your note which is a bit heartbreaking since in general, 4K has really brought out details for movies where were too dark originally.
I watched roughly one half hour of HEAT on my LG OLED 3D TV [WITH OPPO 205] and was so disheartened at the darkness and lack of contrast in the Disney 4K remaster I HAD to turn if OFF!

BTW, AmazonUS now has the 4K HEAT for $7.99 as well with free s/h for Prime Members!

Last edited:
I watched roughly one half hour of HEAT on my LG OLED 3D TV [WITH OPPO 205] and was so disheartened at the darkness and lack of contrast in the Disney 4K remaster I HAD to turn if OFF!

BTW, AmazonUS now has the 4K HEAT for $7.99 as well with free s/h for Prime Members!
Tiny file size for such a long 4K HDR movie too. Amazing how much room they can save when they remove most of the colours! Gee, thanks Mike. Just what everyone always wanted: Heat in grayscale.

Tiny file size for such a long 4K HDR movie too. Amazing how much room they can save when they remove most of the colours! Gee, thanks Mike. Just what everyone always wanted: Heat in grayscale.
When John Badham's DRACULA with Frank Langella premiered on BD~V from UNIVERSAL, it likewise contained Badham's 'preferred' desaturated color look which I detested but when Shout Factory re~released it on BD~V, they quite sensibly provided 2 cuts: the original FULL COLOR BD~V [MUCH preferred] and what they called Badham color [desaturated].

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dracula-Blu-ray/248398/#Review
Wish they had done the same for HEAT and let the viewer decide which version they prefer! But alas, NOT!

Last edited:
When John Badham's DRACULA with Frank Langella premiered on BD~V it likewise contained Badham's 'preferred' desaturated color look which I detested but when Shout Factory re~released it on BD~V, they quite sensibly provided 2 cuts: the original FULL COLOR BD~V [MUCH preferred] and what they called Badham color [desaturated].

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dracula-Blu-ray/248398/#Review
Wish they had done the same for HEAT and let the viewer decide which version they prefer! But alas, NOT!
Yes indeed. It's awesome when there are 2 colour grades available. Scalpel and Reflections in a Golden Eye spring to mind. I dig yellow tints I does.

From Warner Brothers and director Antoine Fuqua TRAINING DAY [Native UHD4K/HDR10/New Dolby ATMOS soundtrack]

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Training-Day-4K-Blu-ray/328338/#Review
71Cwm2qvzzL._SL1500_.jpg

Highdefdigest's MUST OWN review of the Criterion UHD4K edition of MALCOLM X [Native UHD4K/Dolby Vision/HDR10/DTS~HD MA 5.1]

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/108899/malcolmx4kultrahdbluraythecriterioncollection.html
The review is SPOT on! I watched the film yesterday, on the anniversary of Malcolm's assassination. As Hartman notes in the review, the 1972 documentary is "well worth digging into." For me, it is essential viewing. A real labor of love. Be warned: if you plan to watch both the movie and the documentary, you need to budget about 5 hours! Ah, insomnia!

Can you guys recommend a couple of good 4K horror discs with standout Atmos soundtracks? Any era is fine. It's not a genre I follow that much but do enjoy them once in a while. There's quite a few I've never seen though.

So far, A Quiet Place is the one with the soundtrack to beat for me but I guess that's more of a monster/sci-fi movie.

Can you guys recommend a couple of good 4K horror discs with standout Atmos soundtracks? Any era is fine. It's not a genre I follow that much but do enjoy them once in a while. There's quite a few I've never seen though.

So far, A Quiet Place is the one with the soundtrack to beat for me but I guess that's more of a monster/sci-fi movie.
I've only got a 5.1 setup so can't really comment on Atmos but if you haven't seen mother! (2017) mother! 4K Blu-ray (4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray) I recall the surround mix to be constant and very dynamic so am guessing it'd be even more so with an Atmos setup. It ain't really a horror and I don't want to give anything away but it sure cranks up the chaos!

BTW, as we speak, AmazonUS has both A Quiet Place I & II [UHD4K] on sale for $15.99. That's $8 per disc.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/A-Quiet-Place-2-Movie-Collection-4K-Blu-ray/318832/#Review

... and another one if sci-fi/monster fits the bill: Annihilation (2018) Annihilation 4K Blu-ray (4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray) A decent surround mix with great colours and a definite atmosphere.

Might as well add Overlord (2018) Overlord 4K Blu-ray (4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray) to the list too.

Thanks for the recommendations! I made the mistake of watching Mother on a streaming service where I doubt I got the full impact. So, I picked up the 4K of that one but haven't had a chance to check it out. I think it'll take a couple of viewings to take it all in anyway... that is one unique film! And yeah, great surround mix, even on a streaming service.

I also grabbed Annihilation when it was recently on sale and really enjoyed that as well. Definitely keeping that one.

I'm not familiar with Overlord but will have to keep an eye out for it. Thanks!

I watched Guy Ritchie's WRATH OF MAN via Amazon Prime the other night [4K/HDR/DD 5.1] and enjoyed it immensely. As per usual, tough guy Jason Statham did a yeoman job and 'pretty boy' Scott Eastwood [Clint's son] acquitted his acting chops quite nicely by acting against type as 'the bad guy!' Nice Immersive mix!

Not as good as Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels nor Snatch, but a great way to wile away 2 hours!

Wrath of Man Movie Poster – My Hot Posters

Nice! Yeah, I don't really understand exactly what happened in the movie but bet it'll get another few spins from me so hopefully you'll get your money's worth too.
Nice! Glad you dug it. Yep, he did a great job. I haven't seen him in anything else I don't think.

Watched it last night. Really cool movie. I liked it, a lot. That definitely goes on the re-watch pile.
I'm not sure if the drug allowed them to actually move through time or just allowed their minds to do endless simulations of how things would play out through time when they made various decisions (sort of like the time stone allowed Dr Strange to do in Avengers: Infinity War). Guess I will google it some time today and see others' take on it.

Back