Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flashback (2020) BD:

1. I watched this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0914LKQSL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 last night and found it an enjoyably nice Canadian thriller. Cover makes it look all sci-fi but it ain't. I remember watching the trailer a few years ago under the original title of The Education of Frederick Fitzell or something, then forgot all about it.

2. DTS-MA 5.1 has some decent low bits. Surround mix was OK. Fidelity is fine.

3. Pilotpriest (Anthony Scott Burns) did the score that you can download 24-bit FLACs for here:

4. This dude also scored/wrote/directed decent Canadian indie horror/thriller Come True (2021) https://www.amazon.com/Come-True-Blu-ray/dp/B07GNWJH3F/ref=sr_1_1?crid=37C14OQ1MOW5S&keywords=come+true+blu+ray&qid=1676585883&s=movies-tv&sprefix=come+true+lu+ray,movies-tv-intl-ship,257&sr=1-1 which has a decent surround mix.

5. 24-bit FLACs for his Come True score can be downloaded here:

6. But wait, there's more: 24-bit FLACs for Electric Youth's/Pilotpriest's score for Come True can be downloaded here: https://www.hdtracks.com/#/album/6033c4d5c07f796b0e9c8b4b

Just read some of the reviews on Amazon (both 5s and 1s) and it looks like everyone got something different out of the movie. The reviews were all over the place with respect to what took place in the film. My kind of movie. For $11 I'll take a chance.
Thanks for the post!

Just read some of the reviews on Amazon (both 5s and 1s) and it looks like everyone got something different out of the movie. The reviews were all over the place with respect to what took place in the film. My kind of movie. For $11 I'll take a chance.
Thanks for the post!
Nice! Yeah, I don't really understand exactly what happened in the movie but bet it'll get another few spins from me so hopefully you'll get your money's worth too.

SLACKERS, REJOICE. Highdefdigest's RECOMMENDED review of Paramount's 30th Anniversary Native UHD4K release of WAYNE'S WORLD [HDR10/Dolby Vision/new DOLBY ATMOS soundtrack]

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/109788/waynesworld4kultrahdbluray.html
Picked this up the other day along with Kino’s 4K scan of ‘Paths of Glory’. They both look stunning.

I never owned the original Wayne’s World blu ray from 2009 so it was an easy upgrade for me. Hopefully the second one makes it to 4K as it’s the 30th anniversary this year. Not as popular as the original but I actually like it a smidge more, mainly due to Christopher Walken. Party on!

edit: the new 4K master also restores the original Stairway To Heaven riff audio not heard since the theatrical run in 1992, so it’s worth it just for that.

Eve's Bayou (1997) BD:

1. DTS-MA 5.1 is a surprise with lots of insects, weather and other ambient outdoor surround activity.

2. A nice drama and an excellent new 4K scan even though it's only got a BD release.

3. If you're like me and have a soft spot for southern gothic movies, you'll probably dig this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B7217Y59/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4. Quite a few extras including an entertaining short from writer/director Kasi Lemmons (Jodie Foster's friend in Silence of the Lambs and Nic Cage's girlfriend in Vampire's Kiss). Includes the Theatrical and Director's Cuts of the movie. The Director's Cut is the one to watch and if you check out the extras afterwards, you're informed of the differences.

Dazed and Confused? That's how I go thru life.
Who filmed me?
And here I thought you were one of the original WOLVES OF WALL STREET?

Top 5 Leonardo DiCaprio Movies - Boldlist

Jeffie: even tho LA is my LADY!

Last edited:
Flashback (2020) BD:

1. I watched this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0914LKQSL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 last night and found it an enjoyably nice Canadian thriller. Cover makes it look all sci-fi but it ain't. I remember watching the trailer a few years ago under the original title of The Education of Frederick Fitzell or something, then forgot all about it.

2. DTS-MA 5.1 has some decent low bits. Surround mix was OK. Fidelity is fine.

3. Pilotpriest (Anthony Scott Burns) did the score that you can download 24-bit FLACs for here:

4. This dude also scored/wrote/directed decent Canadian indie horror/thriller Come True (2021) https://www.amazon.com/Come-True-Blu-ray/dp/B07GNWJH3F/ref=sr_1_1?crid=37C14OQ1MOW5S&keywords=come+true+blu+ray&qid=1676585883&s=movies-tv&sprefix=come+true+lu+ray,movies-tv-intl-ship,257&sr=1-1 which has a decent surround mix.

5. 24-bit FLACs for his Come True score can be downloaded here:

6. But wait, there's more: 24-bit FLACs for Electric Youth's/Pilotpriest's score for Come True can be downloaded here: https://www.hdtracks.com/#/album/6033c4d5c07f796b0e9c8b4b

Pete, watched FLASHBACK last night [Amazon Prime/DD 5.1] and thoroughly enjoyed it. Wow, Dylan O' Brien of MTV's Teen Wolf fame blew me away with his acting chops ....... did an incredible job as did the supporting players [Maika Monroe, Emory Cohen and Keir Gilchrist] Past, present and future all rolled into one. Totally thought provoking! Thought the immersive soundscape with DEEP bass was effective as well. Highly recommended!

R.d447ac174e3f7ba43a9f46a980e343cd

Last edited:
Pete, watched FLASHBACK last night [Amazon Prime/DD 5.1] and thoroughly enjoyed it. Wow, Dylan O' Brien of MTV's Teen Wolf fame blew me away with his acting chops ....... did an incredible job as did the supporting players [Maika Monroe, Emory Cohen and Keir Gilchrist] Past, present and future all rolled into one. Totally thought provoking! Thought the immersive soundscape with DEEP bass was effective as well. Highly recommended!

R.d447ac174e3f7ba43a9f46a980e343cd
Nice! Glad you dug it. Yep, he did a great job. I haven't seen him in anything else I don't think.

Nice! Glad you dug it. Yep, he did a great job. I haven't seen him in anything else I don't think.
And I did order the BD~V from Amazon. Have to watch it again with the lossless DTS~HD MA 5.1 soundtrack. Dylan's mother was a former actress and drama instructor and his dad was a camera operator so he has a pretty good pedigree....He was also in the recent film LOVE AND MONSTERS which is also a pretty interesting watch but IMO, FLASHBACK proves he's more than just a pretty face......

I like to revisit 'classic' films on occasion and last night was no exception. I've had Kubrick's A CLOCKWORK ORANGE in UHD4K for a couple of years and was hesitant to purchase it due to the poor reviews of Clockwork's soundtrack which some reviews and reviewers had characterized as shrill, unintelligible in parts and downright poor, some preferring the alternate DD LOSSY MONO soundtrack! The video portion received high marks [HDR10 only, no Dolby Vision]. Since I am QQ Forum's 'resident' disc tweaker [which has met with cries of 'SACRILEGE'] I decided to treat my two year old disc with Ultra Bit Diamond + [mfg. in Northern California] and Auric Illuminator's 'notched' permanent black ink pens....applying it to the outer and inner rims of the disc and I was literally blown away by the increase of both video resolution and Clockwork's iconic classically oriented soundtrack with a smattering of Wendy Carlos' synthesized scoring. The original MONO soundtrack has been expanded to DTS~HD MA 5.1 by Warner and it quite convincingly extended to all five channels with a robust immersive quality non extant on my formerly untreated disc. There was bass, thrilling highs, dialogue was spot on intelligible and I was mesmerized all over again by Kubrick's vision. And BTW, my disc tweaks have done literal wonders for ALL my discs, whether SACD, DVD~A, RBCD and BD~A! Folks, this AIN'T snake oil but a canny solution .... and believe me, I wouldn't be wasting my time nor money if I didn't see nor hear positive results! I'm WAAAYYYY beyond THAT stage!

So I can honestly say, watching all 137 minutes of Stanley's 1971 tour de force in absolutely stunning 4K video and 5.1 was an absolute week~end HIGH!

Alex from a clockwork orange digital art by Jacqueline palafox ...

I like to revisit 'classic' films on occasion and last night was no exception. I've had Kubrick's A CLOCKWORK ORANGE in UHD4K for a couple of years and was hesitant to purchase it due to the poor reviews of Clockwork's soundtrack which some reviews and reviewers had characterized as shrill, unintelligible in parts and downright poor, some preferring the alternate DD LOSSY MONO soundtrack! The video portion received high marks [HDR10 only, no Dolby Vision]. Since I am QQ Forum's 'resident' disc tweaker [which has met with cries of 'SACRILEGE'] I decided to treat my two year old disc with Ultra Bit Diamond + [mfg. in Northern California] and Auric Illuminator's 'notched' permanent black ink pens....applying it to the outer and inner rims of the disc and I was literally blown away by the increase of both video resolution and Clockwork's iconic classically oriented soundtrack with a smattering of Wendy Carlos' synthesized scoring. The original MONO soundtrack has been expanded to DTS~HD MA 5.1 by Warner and it quite convincingly extended to all five channels with a robust immersive quality non extant on my formerly untreated disc. There was bass, thrilling highs, dialogue was spot on intelligible and I was mesmerized all over again by Kubrick's vision. And BTW, my disc tweaks have done literal wonders for ALL my discs, whether SACD, DVD~A, RBCD and BD~A! Folks, this AIN'T snake oil but a canny solution .... and believe me, I wouldn't be wasting my time nor money if I didn't see nor hear positive results! I'm WAAAYYYY beyond THAT stage!

So I can honestly say, watching all 137 minutes of Stanley's 1971 tour de force in absolutely stunning 4K video and 5.1 was an absolutely week~end HIGH!
Glad to hear the 4K and the 5.1 is a goodie. I've had it for a while and haven't watched it yet but will bump it up the schedule. I find it "second tier" Kube compared to The Shining/2001/Barry Lyndon/Full Metal Jacket but I'm still looking forward to letting the Zidoo Z9X work it's magic on the MKV.

In the meantime, here's Welly's, heck, one of New Zealand's, finest:

Glad to hear the 4K and the 5.1 is a goodie. I've had it for a while and haven't watched it yet but will bump it up the schedule. I find it "second tier" Kube compared to The Shining/2001/Barry Lyndon/Full Metal Jacket but I'm still looking forward to letting the Zidoo Z9X work it's magic on the MKV.

In the meantime, here's Welly's, heck, one of New Zealand's, finest:

According to Malcolm McDowell in the commentary of Clockwork, the milk bar was the SOLE set actually built for A Clockwork Orange.....all other scenes were filmed on location and Kubrick insisted ALL dialogue be recorded in real time ..... NO dubbing! And despite all those wretched takes Kubrick demands on ALL his productions, McDowell found working with Stanley an absolute pleasure ..... Kubrick is very soft spoken and never got angry on set! And McDowell also came up with Alex's last name which BTW, is DeLarge ....... a play on his birthday suit romps through various scenes in the flick!

Last edited:
Back