Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alex Garland is an English novelist, screenwriter, film producer and director. He is best known for the films Ex Machina (2015) and Annihilation (2018).Garland's others works as a writer includes The Beach (2000), 28 Days Later (2002), Sunshine (2007), Never Let Me Go (2011) and Dredd (2012).He is also the co-writer on the video game Enslaved: Odyssey to the West.In 2015, Garland made his directorial debut with Ex Machina and was nominated for an Oscar in the Best Writing, Original Screenplay category.

Last night I watched Garland's latest film [now streaming on FIOS] MEN in which the protagonist, Harper, brilliantly played by British actor Jesse Buckley escapes from a recent tragedy into the English countryside for a two week sojourn only to encounter leering and ridicule from its male population who look eerily similar in appearance and demeanor. Harper's husband, whom she was estranged from, recently committed suicide ... or was it an accident? But the idyllic countryside holds secrets and threatens her very existence with a series of bizarre encounters and the climatic ending which I'm still reeling from is at least to me .... incomprehensible.

Very high production values [the cinematography is exquisite] and the sound design extremely immersive [it was broadcast in DD 5.1 but the film does boast an ATMOS soundtrack].

Is MEN worth your consideration? If you enjoyed Garland's previous films [listed above], I'd say definitely! From A24 Films.

R.7560b35d9740c59bda800a4d1ee7988c

Last edited:
Alex Garland is an English novelist, screenwriter, film producer and director. He is best known for the films Ex Machina (2015) and Annihilation (2018).Garland's others works as a writer includes The Beach (2000), 28 Days Later (2002), Sunshine (2007), Never Let Me Go (2011) and Dredd (2012).He is also the co-writer on the video game Enslaved: Odyssey to the West.In 2015, Garland made his directorial debut with Ex Machina and was nominated for an Oscar in the Best Writing, Original Screenplay category.

Last night I watched Garland's latest film [now streaming on FIOS] MEN in which the protagonist, Harper, brilliantly played by British actor Jesse Buckley escapes from a recent tragedy into the English countryside for a two week sojourn only to encounter leering and ridicule from its male population who look eerily similar in appearance and demeanor. Harper's husband, whom she was estranged from, recently committed suicide ... or was it an accident? But the idyllic countryside holds secrets and threatens her very existence with a series of bizarre encounters and the climatic ending which I'm still reeling from is at least to me .... incomprehensible.

Very high production values [the cinematography is exquisite] and the sound design extremely immersive [it was broadcast in DD 5.1 but the film does boast an ATMOS soundtrack].

Is MEN worth your consideration? If you enjoyed Garland's previous films [listed above], I'd say definitely! From A24 Films.

R.7560b35d9740c59bda800a4d1ee7988c
Rory Kinnear nailed it!

This beauty arrived yesterday from AmazonUK from ARROW VIDEO.

81vDvZQdnWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
If anyone's a dummy and forgot to order this one (like me), Rarewaves has it for a decent price with an additional discount (through today) with code: febf23

https://www.rarewaves.com/products/5027035025087-the-last-emperor-limited-edition
They ship from the UK so it takes a bit longer for US residents but I've been very happy with their service so far and everything has arrived safe and intact.

If anyone's a dummy and forgot to order this one (like me), Rarewaves has it for a decent price with an additional discount (through today) with code: febf23

https://www.rarewaves.com/products/5027035025087-the-last-emperor-limited-edition
They ship from the UK so it takes a bit longer for US residents but I've been very happy with their service so far and everything has arrived safe and intact.
Sadly, Jamesc, the extended Director's Cut is only available on a separate BD~V ..... NOT UHD4K. I've yet to watch it but I wish both cuts were available in Native UHD4K.

LOVE this film. IMO, one of Bertolucci's finest!

Sadly, Jamesc, the extended Director's Cut is only available on a separate BD~V ..... NOT UHD4K. I've yet to watch it but I wish both cuts were available in Native UHD4K.

LOVE this film. IMO, one of Bertolucci's finest!
I saw that about the Director's Cut which is a bummer. I wonder if they couldn't locate the film for the DC... it sounds like they used an ancient transfer maybe done for the DVD?

I do BOTH .....since streaming especially in 4K has improved considerably, if I like what I see I usually spring for the UHD4K disc with LOSSLESS surround.
I do both as well but I will always prefer physical.
I have HBO-Max, Disney+, Amazon Prime, Peacock. I draw the line at having to subscribe to another service beyond those listed.

Well
Well, the way that poll was worded left me out, because I’m still stuck at the BD level, mostly because 4k sets don’t do 3D. The only 4k movie I own is “Passengers” because that’s how I could get the 3D BD!

But I do both, with subscriptions to Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Kanopy, and Hoopla, and a decent collection of discs.

Can you guys recommend a couple of good 4K horror discs with standout Atmos soundtracks? Any era is fine. It's not a genre I follow that much but do enjoy them once in a while. There's quite a few I've never seen though.

So far, A Quiet Place is the one with the soundtrack to beat for me but I guess that's more of a monster/sci-fi movie.
Movie itself isn’t anything special but The Conjuring 3 has a Dolby Atmos soundtrack which sounded pretty amazing downmixed to 5.1.

I can also vouch for Overlord as well. The opening 20 minutes is pretty much a non-stop surround assault. One of the top discs in my collection.

I like to revisit 'classic' films on occasion and last night was no exception. I've had Kubrick's A CLOCKWORK ORANGE in UHD4K for a couple of years and was hesitant to purchase it due to the poor reviews of Clockwork's soundtrack which some reviews and reviewers had characterized as shrill, unintelligible in parts and downright poor, some preferring the alternate DD LOSSY MONO soundtrack! The video portion received high marks [HDR10 only, no Dolby Vision]. Since I am QQ Forum's 'resident' disc tweaker [which has met with cries of 'SACRILEGE'] I decided to treat my two year old disc with Ultra Bit Diamond + [mfg. in Northern California] and Auric Illuminator's 'notched' permanent black ink pens....applying it to the outer and inner rims of the disc and I was literally blown away by the increase of both video resolution and Clockwork's iconic classically oriented soundtrack with a smattering of Wendy Carlos' synthesized scoring. The original MONO soundtrack has been expanded to DTS~HD MA 5.1 by Warner and it quite convincingly extended to all five channels with a robust immersive quality non extant on my formerly untreated disc. There was bass, thrilling highs, dialogue was spot on intelligible and I was mesmerized all over again by Kubrick's vision. And BTW, my disc tweaks have done literal wonders for ALL my discs, whether SACD, DVD~A, RBCD and BD~A! Folks, this AIN'T snake oil but a canny solution .... and believe me, I wouldn't be wasting my time nor money if I didn't see nor hear positive results! I'm WAAAYYYY beyond THAT stage!

So I can honestly say, watching all 137 minutes of Stanley's 1971 tour de force in absolutely stunning 4K video and 5.1 was an absolute week~end HIGH!

Alex from a clockwork orange digital art by Jacqueline palafox ...
Yes, apparently the new DTS-HD track on the 4K has the high end boosted on the front 3 channels. I didn’t notice much of the harshness and appreciated the greater depth that the 5.1 offered.

The PCM 5.1 track on the original 2007 blu ray is supposedly better. I’d like to try syncing that original track with the 4K image. I wonder is this something that @HomerJAU ’s MMH can help achieve?

Back