The SDE Surround Sound Series (Updated list of titles with links in post #1)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered the Tubulor disc. I've never been that big a fan of the music even back in 1973, I don't think I ever
owned the LP. OTOH I try to support SDE with their offerings so -----
I'll probably sell it sometime down the road to someone that really wants it after it's out of print.

I'm beginning to believe they are going to find a way to release "Revolver" on BR in a limited run.
Hope springs eternal! (y)
I'd certainly buy this if they did it, but I don't really understand why people think it's the 'holy grail' release for this series. There are at least 20-30 (if not more) fantastic streaming-exclusive Atmos titles I'd want to see make it to disc before that one. Even with all the de-mixing technology hype, it's really not that impressive - just about every title SDE has put out thus far (with the exception maybe of the Concert For George) has a more interesting Atmos mix IMO.

I'd certainly buy this if they did it, but I don't really understand why people think it's the 'holy grail' release for this series. There are at least 20-30 (if not more) fantastic streaming-exclusive Atmos titles I'd want to see make it to disc before that one. Even with all the de-mixing technology hype, it's really not that impressive - just about every title SDE has put out thus far (with the exception maybe of the Concert For George) has a more interesting Atmos mix IMO.
For some of us the fact that it’s THE BEATLES trumps the spectacularnous of the mix.

For some of us the fact that it’s THE BEATLES trumps the spectacularnous of the mix.
But VERY doubtful, Bll, that Apple Corps would ever release their most valuable asset to another label for release. I must side with sjcorne .... there are probably better examples of ATMOS remixes that would be better suited to the SDE BD~A ATMOS/5.1 treatment!

But VERY doubtful, Bll, that Apple Corps would ever release their most valuable asset to another label for release. I must side with sjcorne .... there are probably better examples of ATMOS remixes that would be better suited to the SDE BD~A ATMOS/5.1 treatment!
Agree. That was kind of a joke said tongue in cheek. Apple is notorious for not sharing.

I would add that we all want the series to succeed, and I have little doubt that Revolver would be the top seller over pretty much anything released in streaming Atmos thus far. Maybe Elton's Diamonds would give it a run for its money, but I can't think of much else.

I would add that we all want the series to succeed, and I have little doubt that Revolver would be the top seller over pretty much anything released in streaming Atmos thus far. Maybe Elton's Diamonds would give it a run for its money, but I can't think of much else.
Once again this is just tongue in cheek but a stand-alone version of TDSOTM would. Assuming that most of the die-hard fans of both albums that want all the stuff besides the BR have already purchased the bloated box sets.

Once again this is just tongue in cheek but a stand-alone version of TDSOTM would.
I meant streaming only releases, but yes, DSOTM would eventually beat out a Revolver release, all things being equal. It may take some time considering the ones who truly love Dark Side, and who have Atmos, are now much poorer, AND already own a copy.

This is all just for fun, but I wonder if some of the options below would generate similar interest?
  • Grateful Dead American Beauty - 2022 Steven Wilson Atmos, 5.1 & stereo mixes + OOP 2001 Mickey Hart 5.1 & stereo mixes + latest 1970 stereo remaster + "The Angel's Share" bonus material compilation
  • Joni Mitchell Court & Spark - 2022 Ken Cailliat Atmos mix + 1974 quad mix + latest stereo remaster
  • Tom Petty Wildflowers & All The Rest - all 25 studio tracks in Atmos & hi-res stereo + all the demos & live content from the 2020 box set
  • Neil Young Harvest - 2022 Atmos mix + OOP 2002 Elliot Mazer 5.1 mix + latest stereo remaster
  • Bob Marley Legend - 2021 Nick Rives Atmos Mix + OOP 2014 Bob Clearmountain 5.1 mix + latest stereo remaster

This is all just for fun, but I wonder if some of the options below would generate similar interest?
  • Grateful Dead American Beauty - 2022 Steven Wilson Atmos, 5.1 & stereo mixes + OOP 2001 Mickey Hart 5.1 & stereo mixes + latest 1970 stereo remaster + "The Angel's Share" bonus material compilation
  • Joni Mitchell Court & Spark - 2022 Ken Cailliat Atmos mix + 1974 quad mix + latest stereo remaster
  • Tom Petty Wildflowers & All The Rest - all 25 studio tracks in Atmos & hi-res stereo + all the demos & live content from the 2020 box set
  • Neil Young Harvest - 2022 Atmos mix + OOP 2002 Elliot Mazer 5.1 mix + latest stereo remaster
  • Bob Marley Legend - 2021 Nick Rives Atmos Mix + OOP 2014 Bob Clearmountain 5.1 mix + latest stereo remaster
I see you've created a new SDE’s Surround Series - Your Fantasy Wishlist topic... Nice idea ;)

9E31DC1A-49AD-4917-AE2D-A032B62B720E.jpeg
Well Concert For George came today, which is not great news for TYA as it shipped way before CFG. I’m now almost positive the darn thing got lost… Gonna email them and pray they have a few extra copies laying around but I’m doubtful. ☹️

If I had to choose only one, it would probably be the Tom Petty, but I don't see any of them decisively beating Revolver in sales.
It would be very interesting to hear a proper Revolver in Atmos instead of the low-resolution streamed version, which at many times has just noisy crap coming from the ceiling. I just don't know if SDE can pull it off with all the baggage associated with Beatles releases.

(BTW, the stereo version of Revolver played through the Surround Master is wonderful. Most songs in the Atmos version are just too front-centric for my tastes.)

which at many times has just noisy crap coming from the ceiling
It will sound a bit cleaner for sure, but if you expect the top channels to sound cohesive without the other channels playing with the correct levels, you are going to be disappointed, regardless of the format.

Back