MQA goes into reorganization.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In defense of MQA I just wanted to add my perspective and experience.
I had a DAC that was MQA enabled, so I used my Oppo player as a transport. I purchased 15 or so MQA CDs. The Police back catalogue was the stand-out item (source was the DSD flat transfers from the master tapes taken in 2013). I've read all of the hate threads mentioned above plus the MQA teams' explanation of this codec. However, the proof is in the listening and I would encourage the community to suspend their disbelief and give the format a listen. Many MQA CDs have an equivalent SACD from the same source, so A/B tests on your own system is easily possible. Try it, you might be surprised.

I would only pose a simple question.
When any album in question was mastered, the engineers and artists
decided on what that mix should sound like. Then along comes Bob Stuart
and MQA with his line of deblurring BS that alters the sound of the original
mix and tells us "this is what the master should sound like".
Who do you believe is right?

I had a DAC that was MQA enabled, so I used my Oppo player as a transport. I purchased 15 or so MQA CDs. The Police back catalogue was the stand-out item (source was the DSD flat transfers from the master tapes taken in 2013). I've read all of the hate threads mentioned above plus the MQA teams' explanation of this codec. However, the proof is in the listening and I would encourage the community to suspend their disbelief and give the format a listen. Many MQA CDs have an equivalent SACD from the same source, so A/B tests on your own system is easily possible. Try it, you might be surprised.
I don’t believe I’m a hater. I just didn’t ever feel it was the next thing I wanted to do with my setup. Sort of like CD4 for about 45 years. I’ve picked up enough albums on the cheap that I feel I should give it a shot.

Mark Waldrep (Dr. AIX) spent a chapter in his book damning the whole idea, and I thought it didn’t need to be said. I’m sure if he had an editor, the editir would have cut 90% of that chapter, if not the whole thing.

I have little doubt that there is a sonic difference, and I imagine that most of the time, it’s pleasureable. But there are plenty of other upgrades that make more sense to me than that, at least right now.

Also, why should we settle for RBCDs anymore! HELL I'LL TAKE A DUALDISC AT THIS POINT. But give me that sweet lossless 24/48 or 24/96! AND SURROUND SOUND!

I think we should count ourselves lucky that most releases are still being put out on RBCD. While I agree with your statement, I think things are trending in the opposite direction.
I wish they would put everything out in lossless and surround, it would give me an excuse to re-buy all of my favorites. That's always fun.:unsure:

There is a big thread on the subject at Audio Science Review which has a lot of interesting links on the subject if someone wants to "dig deeper".

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...hapter-11-in-the-us.43633/page-8#post-1549940This thread linked to a Stereophile article on the subject which was pretty interesting. Also various financial articles on things.
Interesting to say Administration is comparable to Chapter 11 Bankruptcy. Not a UK Atty and when I've had to deal with UK Administration proceedings I've always had a UK solicitor, but in my experience Administration is much more likely - and indeed geared more towards - a quick liquidation than US Chapter 11. I'm sure companies come out of Administration but I've never seen it.

I would only pose a simple question.
When any album in question was mastered, the engineers and artists
decided on what that mix should sound like. Then along comes Bob Stuart
and MQA with his line of deblurring BS that alters the sound of the original
mix and tells us "this is what the master should sound like".
Who do you believe is right?
It is also abundantly clear that any "improvements" that MQA might make will be mostly limited to EQ, gain adjustments or noise shaping of some sort. You cannot recreate information that isn't there.

Many MQA CDs have an equivalent SACD from the same source, so A/B tests on your own system is easily possible. Try it, you might be surprised.

I cannot be sure that the same original master has been "flat transferred" to both SACD and MQA CD. So the A/B test might not be comparing apples to apples.

If I were a producer that want to "sell" MQA I would surely tune the master transfer to sound... "different".

The only reliable comparison that we can make ourselves is from a Hi-Res edition, downsampled by ourselves to RBCD (16/44.1), and play them A/B trying to keep the same levels/sound options, etc.

A/B comparisons from different "editions" in different formats, may be comparisons of different "masters" or different "transferred masters".

So, my opinion is that MQA has been only a trick to make money but not a real sound format improvement. I.e. lets make a remaster of that album, that will sound better?. No it does not sell too much, instead lets try inventing a new amazing format that would need to sell additional equipment and get royalties for its use.

As we ALL know with new fangled formats being introduced, I, likewise, was skeptical but when I saw that Bob Stuart of UK's Meridian's fame was attached it certainly piqued my interest! After all, Meridian does manufacture state of the art equipment and Meridian was the inventor of MLP DVD~A which even AIX's Mark Waldrep preferred over SACD!

I own about 150 MQA discs most of them UHQ Japanese pressings which to my ears sound exceptional. I was careful NOT to duplicate any titles I already owned on SACD, BD~A and DVD~A! The list prices at first were a bit steep but like everything else [like those original $60 SHM~SACDs] the prices came down and were akin to buying Japanese pressings in SHM~CD and Blu~Spec 2. And some of those titles were unknown to me so I took a chance and glad I did......resulting in some marvelous discoveries! So I don't feel in any way cheated that I invested in a format which is now facing economic ruin. Even UNENCODED, they're fantastic replications and when DECODED sound even better!

I do have Meridian's Reference 808 CD spinner [which also plays DVD~A STEREO discs of which I own quite a few] and an outboard Meridian mfg MQA decoder which I've yet to get fully functional so I can only imagine how the combo will sound once I do get my ALL Meridian system up and running but even hearing it decoded through my OPPO 205 gave me hope that I didn't waste my money on those 150 or so MQA discs in my collection.

At least I can say that instead of surmising how MQA sounds by reading all the negative press about it, I've heard it firsthand and can state I was impressed by the mastering but will hopefully one day hear it on my state of the art Meridian system as Bob Stuart [probably] intended for it to be heard.

Do I believe MQA will survive? Probably NOT especially in this economy.....where even us surround fanatics still await patiently for older and new material to be remixed/released in 4.0, 5.1 and NOW Dolby ATMOS. IMO, HDCD, SURROUND and now MQA have and will always remain NICHE markets as even Blu~Ray and now 4K video discs have 'hardly' succeeded in penetrating a market which is indifferent to newer technologies.

Often over here in the UK when a company is deliberately put into Administration by its owners, it is then often bought back by the original owners for less than the original investment, it is then resurrected, but without any debt, its become known as 'flat packing'. Its frowned upon.

Often over here in the UK when a company is deliberately put into Administration by its owners, it is then often bought back by the original owners for less than the original investment, it is then resurrected, but without any debt, its become known as 'flat packing'. Its frowned upon.
FLAT PACKING: Dunc, sounds like that society which still believe the EARTH TO BE FLAT!

R.3df89a5da8d4edab429b33e137eaaa61

CLOSE TO THE EDGE?

FLAT PACKING: Dunc, sounds like that society which still believe the EARTH TO BE FLAT!
Thats why we put railings by the sea down here, can't have people falling off the edge of the world!

I believe the flat packing came about due to the similarity with IKEA furniture, you buy it off the shelf and its already to go after a few tweaks

MQA titles could sound good or great because they were fresh new remasters (from good source tapes), and not because they were of a special technology or process that was superior. The insertion of DRM (claimed by everyone except MQA) into the process might have been the first red flag against the format.

Surprising that this junk lasted as long as it did.

Back