THE MONTREUX YEARS-New Releases-Stereo CD MQA

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not been paying attention and there are three new MQA CD's that got by me.
Ordered all three via Amazon $46.26.
Modern Jazz Quartet
McCoy Tyner
Motorhead-yes you read that right.

Montreux Jazz Festival-Order Site

@4-earredwonder @cbmmm3
Thanks for the heads up, Markie. Already have the Motorhead MQA set and will definitely add both the MJQ and McCoy Tyner The Montreux Years to my collection. With the ability to finally decode MQA fully unfolded ....I am one happy camper!

The Motörhead discs don't seem to have the MQA logo. The McCoy Tyner and Dr. John CDs are also missing the MQA logo, as well, so these releases may not have MQA encoding, but then again, that may be a good thing.

The Motörhead discs don't seem to have the MQA logo. The McCoy Tyner and Dr. John CDs are also missing the MQA logo, as well, so these releases may not have MQA encoding, but then again, that may be a good thing.
Unfortunately, most of the bad publicity leveled at MQA has been from those who have read about it in various magazines or online forums but have NEVER actually heard it firsthand for themselves!

On a state of the art system the merits of MQA are justifiably apparent. The ability to render a RBCD with 24 bit encoding and 88.2 or higher oversampling was a challenge which the new format met with formidable success.

In fact, classical German Label DGG is still releasing in the MQA format!

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UCCG-45088
I just had my Meridian 861 v.8 pre/pro outfitted with a Meridian engineered MQA card and through Meridian's DSP8000 self amplified loudspeakers [pictured below], MQA sounds pretty astounding.

Of course as with any new format, the cost of MQA licensing and the need for an MQA capable player/decoder may have been a deterrent but as far as the format is concerned, hopefully MQA will reimerge stronger and find new devotees because, IMO, the 16/44.1 RBCD could certainly use a boost in this age of BD~A!

Meridian DSP8000 SE Active Floorstanding Speakers — Audiovation

Last edited:
I own the Dr John and it is MQA.
The Modern Jazz Quartet and McCoy Tyner list as:
The audio has Expertly restored and remastered in superlative HD audio; The Montreux Years is released on superior audiophile heavy weight vinyl, MQA quality CD and in HD digital.
The Motorhead does not have that info.

There are a minority of us here on QQ that LOVE, MQA and our MQA players.
In the end it is just GOOD version of music.

Back