Tears For Fears first new album since 2004... The Tipping Point!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still contemplating whether I should pick up one of those expensive Blurays but as we all know, there's no stereo mix on that disc. One of these days, I'm going to have to learn how to downmix surround files into a good stereo mix. Crazy to hear that the CD doesn't sound as good apparently.

I never listen to the CD anyway. It's either Atmos mix or the Apple Music streaming master. I actually don't know if the Apple Master version suffers from the same brick walling as the CD.

It sounds good for being that 'loud'. Modern compression techniques (bussing within a DAW, ducking, etc) can really cram those tones into our ears. I'm not a fan but I don't let numbers alone dictate my enjoyment of a recording. That said, in the music I've produced, I try to stay more in the -10db rms range which is plenty loud as I tend to produce mixes that only need minor adjustment at the final mastering stage. There's some recordings that sound like junk that aren't even as loud as Tipping Point.

I think the busier passages (like the end of "No Small Thing" or basically the entirety of "End Of Night") sound pretty gross in the stereo mix, but the mellower songs like "Rivers Of Mercy" aren't bad at all.
I don't really mind No Small Thing because it's meant to kind of flatten you, but End Of Night is a total mess (not just a mastering problem), and there are other passages like the pre-chorus of the title track where I really wish for more clarity. Rivers of Mercy also only sounds good as long as you're not comparing it with Woman in Chains.
It sounds good for being that 'loud'.
You know what sounds better? The three bonus tracks. Those were mastered by Justin Shturtz and they immediately open up more than the main album does.

You know what sounds better? The three bonus tracks. Those were mastered by Justin Shturtz and they immediately open up more than the main album does.
I think they do sound better, but I don't really care for any of the three as much as any of the other songs from the album.

lol at the Woman In Chains comparison. We may never see those pristine mixes again from mainstream artists.

I love the three bonus tracks, especially Let It All Evolve and Secret Location.

If there was another SDE release or a general box set with those songs in Atmos, I’d happily buy it again.

Which leads me to wondering... when Wilson was mixing the album in Atmos, would it be likely he would mix the bonus songs as well even if there wasn’t an initial plan to include them in a release?

I don't really mind No Small Thing because it's meant to kind of flatten you, but End Of Night is a total mess (not just a mastering problem), and there are other passages like the pre-chorus of the title track where I really wish for more clarity. Rivers of Mercy also only sounds good as long as you're not comparing it with Woman in Chains.

That reminds me when I bought the self titled album "John Cougar" for the song "I Need A Lover" and the sound from that song was totally compressed and distorted sounding. The rest of the album sounded fantastic...I mean like really good. I was told years ago that the hit song was mixed by someone different than the rest of the album (or recorded somewhere else.)

I love the three bonus tracks, especially Let It All Evolve and Secret Location.

If there was another SDE release or a general box set with those songs in Atmos, I’d happily buy it again.

Which leads me to wondering... when Wilson was mixing the album in Atmos, would it be likely he would mix the bonus songs as well even if there wasn’t an initial plan to include them in a release?
I remember reading an explanation for that somewhere that made sense to me. I think he had already done the whole mix of the album when the bonus tracks came up and for some reason he didn't go back again. I believe it was explaine somewhere in the comments on the SDE announcement of the Blu-Ray.

If any members in Canada wants an SDE Atmos Tipping Point SLIPCASE I have a spare one that I can post out. PM me if you’re interested.

Back