Steven Wilson Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex (2023)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steven,
Please, spend a little less time coming up with these artsy fartsy photos and
spend more time writing a great release. The Future Bites was nothing to write
home about in just about everyones opinion.
Sorry.
Sal1950
That was the only SW or PT that I just couldn’t get into. Definitely not my style of music.

That’s alright, it happens to the best of them. Chris Cornell put out one that went right on the never to be listened to pile, and I like every other album he was involved with. ( I think it was “Scream “).

Jesus_Christ.jpg

That was the only SW or PT that I just couldn’t get into. Definitely not my style of music.

That’s alright, it happens to the best of them. Chris Cornell put out one that went right on the never to be listened to pile, and I like every other album he was involved with. ( I think it was “Scream “).
Agree, I haven't even tried going back to it in what seems like forever. There's a couple of good tracks, but it's easily his weakest overall effort artistically, musically, and every-other-sensory.

When you hit highs like Raven and HCE, then come out with that... you're going to face some criticism. And that's the overall feedback (pushback even), based on Steven's own words in interviews the outpouring of disappointment from the fanbase is/was palatable [watch his interview with Alan Parsons which discusses tFB]. There's always going to be fans that love everything from an artist. There's Rush fans who listen to Presto, after all.

Steven,
Please, spend a little less time coming up with these artsy fartsy photos and
spend more time writing a great release. The Future Bites was nothing to write
home about in just about everyones opinion.
Sorry.
Sal1950
I actually like The Future Bites. Good to have something different.

...and who anointed you the arbiter of "everyone's opinion" ?
Sadly, he's got a point, though... ;) (I know I know, it's subjective, can't please everyone all of the time etc. etc... ;) ) Hoping this one to be again more like "Hand cannot erase" or even better, "To The Bone"!!!!! PLLEEEEEEEZE ;) )

Hey said more like, not exactly like.
SW, himself, has said this is like a blend of TFB and HCE...
I'm hoping that once it comes out, people will stop trying to compare/equate it to past works and simply judge the music on its own merits. I've purposely not said anything about what it's like stylistically so as not to influence opinions ahead of release, but I don't think any of these new songs would have fit on prior albums. It's pretty different, tows the line nicely between experimental & accessible and might be my favorite overall thing that he's done (and this is coming from someone who didn't like most of his first three solo albums).

Hey said more like, not exactly like.
SW, himself, has said this is like a blend of TFB and HCE...

My primary gripe with tFB is the songs largely rely on the synth parts to carry them, and I don't find the synth work or sounds to be particularly interesting. The songs with more organic instrumentation and/or organic song writing work best for me, but there's only a couple (12 Things I Forgot, Eminent Sleaze). I don't mind Self and Personal Shopper, but they don't draw me back to the album in any way. They're just 'fine'.

Last edited:
I'm hoping that once it comes out, people will stop trying to compare/equate it to past works and simply judge the music on its own merits.

That's exactly how I approached my subsequent listens to tFB, after the initial one. But it just doesn't have any depth IMO. Hoping for better on the next one, of course. Underlying feeling I get after ttB and tFB, is that he might be drained of fresh ideas, innovation, or his 'thing' musically just isn't sounding inventive to me anymore. Again, strongly withholding judgment because even if I take tFB at face value, the music is by no means "bad". It's just not SW standards "good". While "bad" by SW standards is better than many, it's not worth my time.

Here's the track listing (from amazon.fr)

1Inclination
2What Life Brings
3Economies of Scale
4Impossible Tightrope
5Rock Bottom
6Beautiful Scarecrow
7The Harmony Codex
8Time Is Running Out
9Actual Brutal Facts
10Staircase
It's going to be brilliant, I can tell.

Look