Steven Wilson Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex (2023)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...and the end of "Staircase" (the voiceover was originally in the front three speakers as on the title track, but I suggested it'd be kind of fun to switch it to the heights for the reprise and really show off what Atmos can do - after all, she does say "I'm miles above the surface of the earth").
Good call. I listened to that track first and then was a bit disappointed on the title track that the voiceover came out of the centre channel.

Sort of don't want to listen to The Harmony Codex again until I get my 7.1.4 system up again. Down to 5.1.2 right now.
Don't know if that makes sense to anyone, but I've listened to a few Atmos albums that just did not shine as much minus two top speakers.
First world problems I guess.
Mine arrives tomorrow, by the end of the week I have two speakers arriving to go 5.1.2, think i’ll hold off listening until then, i’m happy to be going proper atmos after having had up-firing speakers for about 3 years, more than happy to go 5.1.2 as 7.1.4 will never be an option unless we win the lottery and get out of this small apartment

Mine arrives tomorrow, by the end of the week I have two speakers arriving to go 5.1.2, think i’ll hold off listening until then, i’m happy to be going proper atmos after having had up-firing speakers for about 3 years, more than happy to go 5.1.2 as 7.1.4 will never be an option unless we win the lottery and get out of this small apartment
I used to have a 5.1.2 system myself but then switched back to a “simpler” 5.1 when I had to make some repairs to the ceiling. I found out the differences weren’t that tangible,at least for me.

Listened to it several times on my 5.1.4 system (and many more in stereo).
Great work. Much, much better for my taste than his previous effort.

The title track strongly reminded me of this. Both musically and in the words structure (questions at the end, etc.):

Amazon.co.uk have some if you are allowed to order from there
It let me order from a third party for $34.50 shipped from UK with slow delivery.

The Apple Atmos stream is good enough for me, but here you go:

[When I try to link to the UK site it reverts back to USA]

1697995986734.png

1697996734070.png

Last edited:
Sort of don't want to listen to The Harmony Codex again until I get my 7.1.4 system up again. Down to 5.1.2 right now.
Don't know if that makes sense to anyone, but I've listened to a few Atmos albums that just did not shine as much minus two top speakers.
You should listen and then have a frame of reference for a comparison later(?). I mean, why not?

On the Blu-ray disc, I noticed that the very beginning of some of the songs seem to be cut off. It is very noticeable on "Beautiful Scarecrow," "Economies of Scale," and "Inclination". It is the same on the Dolby Atmos, 5.1, and stereo audio tracks. I am using a Panasonic UB820 Blu-ray player. Has anyone else noticed this?
I'm guessing it might be a handshaking issue between the player and your receiver? I get that many times...where I don't hear the very start of a song when something is mixed in Atmos...it also might be the way it's put onto the disc that could make the problem worse but I really don't know.

That makes perfect sense. Atmos music is mixed generally for .4 Atmos not .2...of course you can still get a Atmos effect but you won't hear front to back above or a full bubble of sound with only two Atmos speakers.

That makes perfect sense. Atmos music is mixed generally for .4 Atmos not .2...of course you can still get a Atmos effect but you won't hear front to back above or a full bubble of sound with only two Atmos speakers.
(mandrix...whining to the choir) Looks like there are NO HDMI boards in the US. So shipping time I'm told is 3 weeks or more. This just sucks and is unexcusable considering past HDMI board problems across several brands.

Hmm. Well all the really BS Tidal mixes aside, I believe it's mixed generally upwards of that, at least for 9.1.6 for home consumption?

Thanks @thebarnman . It makes me wonder how much content IS mixed for 9.1.6, given that more AVR's are coming out with >11 channel processing. I think you're saying his monitoring/studio setup is .4 but that would not necessarily prevent him from mixing for more channels. IDK.

Back