Atmos MKV stutters on VLC media player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With Kodi, you choose thr Wasapi driver right within Kodi. I'm assuming with VLC you do the same. Check in that drop-down for a different device

I hope others chime in, but if you bitstream through most drivers they change the stream because they go through the sound mixer. The Wasapi driver avoids that and it passes streams bit perfect. It should be available to use. My guess is you would choose it somewhere in VLC
I don't see anywhere in VLC where it talks about drivers.

It doesn't mention drivers in Kodi either, but its an option for the output device and the passthrough device. Same devices, but different drivers. Are there other choices in the output device drop-down box?

Screenshot 2024-02-23 072405.jpg

So do this Gene....Does your AVR have an HDMI indicator that lights up on your front panel?
If so....when you are doing playback via HDMI make sure it's lit up and not e.g. blinking or off.
Then when you get the dropouts, look and see if it's still lit up.

I realize your AVR might not have an indicator....mine does and when it's not on or blinks means there's a handshake issue.

So do this Gene....Does your AVR have an HDMI indicator that lights up on your front panel?
If so....when you are doing playback via HDMI make sure it's lit up and not e.g. blinking or off.
Then when you get the dropouts, look and see if it's still lit up.

I realize your AVR might not have an indicator....mine does and when it's not on or blinks means there's a handshake issue.
The only signal mine has (I noticed it during the audio drop outs) is a DIG (assume it means digital) and for sure, when music is correctly playing it's lit up, and when the drop out occurs, it goes off.

So apparently it is not a handshake issue, or the light would either blink or go off.
This is a puzzler. What device and hdmi port are you using?
e.g. are you using hdmi port from motherboard or from a video card?

So apparently it is not a handshake issue, or the light would either blink or go off.
This is a puzzler. What device and hdmi port are you using?
e.g. are you using hdmi port from motherboard or from a video card?
I assume you mean, how is my PC connected to my AVR. Let me double check things. Just a simple, single HDMI going straight from PC to back of my AVR.

But still. The fact that audio from my PC plays perfectly (using the same HDMI ports, same HDMI cable) with Windows Media Player...and also, stereo, Quad, normal 5.1. Things get odd when I put Atmos in the chain using VLC

To further complicate, I do have Atmos mkv files that play just fine. Always do. The 2 Beatles titles are notorious for not playing correctly. Let It Be and Abbey Road. Yes, I've re-ripped them, over and over. Same exact outcome. Additionally, I have noticed that the dropouts occur at nearly the exact same point within the title. (remember, Windows Medio Player can play those same titles in Atmos flawlessly)

I am going to muddy the waters by asking if anyone has successfully ripped to .THD files? I have been experimenting with this instead of .MKV's for Atmos. I am able to rip these tracks separately as many of us desire, using DVD Audio Extractor. I then play them in VLC, but so far have found the tracks don't start or end at the exact point where they should --- based only on mucking with a few titles. Thus, as I continue down this path, curious about the experience from others ripping to THD.

I am going to muddy the waters by asking if anyone has successfully ripped to .THD files? I have been experimenting with this instead of .MKV's for Atmos. I am able to rip these tracks separately as many of us desire, using DVD Audio Extractor. I then play them in VLC, but so far have found the tracks don't start or end at the exact point where they should --- based only on mucking with a few titles. Thus, as I continue down this path, curious about the experience from others ripping to THD.
MKVcleaver is he name of the program I think that will rip the thd. But you have to rip a whole album (Atmos) because any track breaks will not be right, even if you rip to individual mkv for each song. That's based on playing them in the Dolby Reference Player. Really picky.

I assume you mean, how is my PC connected to my AVR. Let me double check things. Just a simple, single HDMI going straight from PC to back of my AVR.
OK just wondering because usually (except I guess some laptops) will have an hdmi port on the motherboard, and if you have a separate gpu (video card) it could have hdmi ports on it as well.

Just to muck it up even more, I have both my motherboard HDMI and my RTX3060 gpu HDMI connected to an HDMI switch, which is then connected to the AVR. I can switch between them, (and I actually I have another pc that the HDMI is routed through the switch as well.)
If either the mobo HDMI or the 3060 HDMI is acting wonky I can switch between them.

I still wonder if it's not a driver issue. I'd an Atmos stream isn't bit perfect does it wipe out the metadata? Then it won't play as Atmos. Same kinda thing with DTS. The Wasapi driver avoids that and bitstreams without alteration. He seems to find out what driver is being used. Again, what is offered to use in the VLC drop-down for "device". "default" probably won't do it.

Back