Atmos MKV stutters on VLC media player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still wonder if it's not a driver issue. I'd an Atmos stream isn't bit perfect does it wipe out the metadata? Then it won't play as Atmos. Same kinda thing with DTS. The Wasapi driver avoids that and bitstreams without alteration. He seems to find out what driver is being used. Again, what is offered to use in the VLC drop-down for "device". "default" probably won't do it.
Well in VLC you don't have to use "default" for device. But it's just going to use whatever device Windows has found for default, same as you'd find in the Windows Sound Applet. As far as selecting a certain driver, there is no way -that I know of- to do that in VLC.

Well in VLC you don't have to use "default" for device. But it's just going to use whatever device Windows has found for default, same as you'd find in the Windows Sound Applet. As far as selecting a certain driver, there is no way -that I know of- to do that in VLC.
Then can Wasapi be assigned as the default driver in windows?

Look at post #7. The device is not default. It's a. Denon AVR. I'm asking, what else is available in that dropdown

Then can Wasapi be assigned as the default driver in windows?

Look at post #7. The device is not default. It's a. Denon AVR. I'm asking, what else is available in that dropdown
It's showing his Denon, and the driver used. It's the Intel Display driver, which is also the sound driver because he is using an intel device , I assume the pc has an Intel cpu with graphics so the motherboard out will use the Intel driver.

It's showing his Denon, and the driver used. It's the Intel Display driver, which is also the sound driver because he is using an intel device , I assume the pc has an Intel cpu with graphics so the motherboard out will use the Intel driver.
Yes, but there may be a way (as with Kodi) to specify the Denon AVR and the Wasapi driver. I think I read the Wasapi exclusive mode needs to be allowed in the VLC advanced settings.

OK here's two screenshots. One is with the HDMI coming from my motherboard, the other is with the HDMI coming from my Nvidia card.
In each case they are the "default" driver.
Intel driver.jpg
Nvidia driver.jpg

I have VLC version 3.0.20 Vetinari (Nvidia) but can't test on the machine that I'm on right now.

To set WASAPI in VLC:
  1. Start VLC player
  2. Menu: Tools > Preferences
  3. Under "Show Settings (lower left), check 'All' (instead of 'Simple')
  4. In the tree (left): Audio > Output Modules > MM Device
  5. Change "Output back-end" to "Windows Audio Session API Output"

I have VLC version 3.0.20 Vetinari (Nvidia) but can't test on the machine that I'm on right now.

To set WASAPI in VLC:
  1. Start VLC player
Thank you.

Note that Windows Audio Session API = WASAPI

To set WASAPI in VLC:
  1. Start VLC player

LOL. Why, VLC, why?

Back