Billy Joel - Piano Man 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (Mch SACD of Quad mix from Sony Japan)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to bid on the piano man Q8 when one would come up on ebay, but I never won an auction because they always went for over $100+. Now here comes cd japan offering it in their lavish 7" single series. My heart skipped a beat when I saw the photo of the 3 discs and stuff and thought to myself oh no, another expensive box set. I figured it would be $100+ and low and behold it was under $50! I immediately ordered (as I did when bridge over troubled water came up years ago -but to no avail). A dream come true purchase for me!

Last edited:
I used to bid on the piano man Q8 when one would come up on ebay, but I never won an auction because they always went for over $100+. Now here comes cd japan offering it in their lavish 7" single series. My heart skipped a beat until I saw the photo of the 3 discs and stuff and thought to myself oh no, another expensive box set. I figured it would be $100+ and low and behold it was under $50! I immediately ordered (as I did when bridge over troubled water came up years ago -but to no avail). A dream come true purchase for me!

I was so bummed when AF got "quad-blocked" from releasing "Piano Man" and "Turnstiles" back in the mid-'10s. They had to settle for "Streetlife Serenade" because MFSL wasn't going to do that one. Here's hoping that Sony Japan goes right to "Turnstiles" next. While I love the 'Root Beer Rag', but really, we don't need another "Streetlife Serenade" release over "Turnstiles"

I was so bummed when AF got "quad-blocked" from releasing "Piano Man" and "Turnstiles" back in the mid-'10s. They had to settle for "Streetlife Serenade" because MFSL wasn't going to do that one. Here's hoping that Sony Japan goes right to "Turnstiles" next. While I love the 'Root Beer Rag', but really, we don't need another "Streetlife Serenade" release over "Turnstiles"
I'm hoping Sony Japan will release both Streetlife Serenade and Turnstiles. They've done so with other albums which had been previously issued by AF. So far, they's added some neat bonus audio to some of these Billy Joel sets which makes them even more unique.

Amazon Japan has a few copies of 52nd Street for $33 plus shipping - must have found a box of them during a stock check that had fell behind some shelving because I was under the impression that it was oop (at least CD Japan were unable to get hold of copies when I last checked).

I picked up a copy a few weeks ago and yes, its the legit Sony 7" mini LP packaged job.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/ビリー・ジ...ap_d_grid_rp_0_1_ec_ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_bia_item_i
Both 52nd Street($36.90) and The Stranger($38.97) are available today from amazon Japan via amazon.com w/o shipping fees,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H62ZCR8

https://www.amazon.com/Stranger-40th-Anniversary-Japan-Deluxe/dp/B07KZG6Y75/ref=sr_1_1

My delivery status was changed to today! That’s crazy fast! My Big Big Train preorder sent shipping Notification on the 23rd and supposed to receive on the second. From USA to USA! Yet from Japan little more than 24 hours! I believe I remember my last order from cd Japan getting here crazy quick !

Mine is in at the old house so I hope to get over there later and spin iy tonight. I hope to enjoy it as much as the other 2 7" Joels I have.
I'm also curious to hear differences in studio 'quality' between his first and later releases. I know as artists get cemented with a record company the engineers, attention to detail, and studio quality improve. I say this without any knowledge of Billy Joel's exact trajectory, but I'm at least somewhat familiar with how the music industry operated during that era.

Whatever limitations/weaknesses we hear will likely NOT be the surround engineer's doing.

Houston… the eagle has landed
IMG_0719.jpeg

Mine showed up too!!! Another amazing job by CDJapan. Safely packed, shipped FAST, perfect product. Whatever it costs, it's worth it. (I ordered the DSOTM since I was paying for the shipping, even though I know it's not the original Quad Mix on there)

I can't wait to compare this to a Q8 rip and give it a try listening to it (The Billy Joel, not the DSOTM)

Piano Man Japanese 2.jpg

Back