• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Aerosmith - Wings, Toys & Rocks

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey , I would GLADLY pay the $$$$ for the Japanese individual SACDs if they were released , and I am sure a LOT of you would.. .. Aerosmith is one of the biggest act Columbia / Sony had / has...

Probably like Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones, Aerosmith has NO interest in 5.1 at this juncture. And they certainly don't need the money!

Wonder if anyone at SONY Japan ever peruses QQ Forum?

Last edited:
Worth a repost i think from the D-V page

...Between the email requests D-V get, posts on their facebook page, requests here (they do check in from time to time) and suggestions from myself they have a very good idea of what people are after. They're not living in some alternate universe where they're scoffing at the quality of Aerosmith and the Winter brothers whilst simultaneously plotting to release the complete quadraphonic oeuvre of Ray Conniff.

...If you want to know what's available to them, a little research goes a long way. Take a look at Aerosmth for example - look up their three albums that were released in quad on discogs for example and you'll see that they've never been reissued by anyone other than Columbia/Sony. In fact, the stereo versions of the albums that are on CD currently appear to be the same ones that were released in the early 90's, which would suggest to me that there's a financial or contractual issue preventing re-release - surely someone like MoFi would have had a go by now if it was possible. As for the Winter brothers, you can look them up on amazon UK, you'll see that the majority of their albums have been reissued in the last few years by either BGO or Music On CD. This is what D-V faces when it gets in to the arena of reissuing rock quads, as I'm sure all CD reissue labels do. It just burns us more, obviously, because when they reissue something on CD in stereo we lose the ability to get it in quad. That isn't to say there's nothing available - as licenses expire, new things become re-available on a yearly basis, but you have to work with what those things are, not to mention compete with other labels to get them...

...I do think that any chance of an Aerosmith quad set would go to Sony Japan or Rhino given their work with Chicago and maybe the Doobie Brothers, Jay and Stash :)

steelydave said: As for the Winter brothers, you can look them up on amazon UK, you'll see that the majority of their albums have been reissued in the last few years by either BGO or Music On CD. This is what D-V faces when it gets in to the arena of reissuing rock quads, as I'm sure all CD reissue labels do. It just burns us more, obviously, because when they reissue something on CD in stereo we lose the ability to get it in quad.

Audio Fidelity stayed away from Edgar Winter Group's TOCOAN album because MFSL had issued it in DSD almost a decade earlier. That's right AF was fearful that sales would not be strong due to an SACD 10 years old.

What's funny is that MFSL was not afraid of doing a dozen Dylan titles that Sony had already done on SACD. Granted Edgar Winter does not sell in the number that Dylan does. But I think AF should have bitten the bullet and just issued the quad Edgar title with quad, if it was there and available which I think it was. Someone is going to step up to the plate and bat a homer with this this title, it's the big white elephant in the room.

Probably like Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones, Aerosmith has NO interest in 5.1 at this juncture. And they certainly don't need the money!

But we already have three albums in quad to work with. Toys has already been done in 5.1 but I would still like the original discrete quad.

Toys has already been done in 5.1 but I would still like the original discrete quad.

They're both worth owning, but I like the quad better. Jay Messina, the band's engineer, did both mixes. I always thought it was interesting that Sony had him remix it from scratch for 5.1 when his quad mix could easily have been dusted off. Maybe he was unhappy with how it came out, or he just forgot entirely that he did it.

They make for an interesting comparison. Some parts are very similar: for example, both versions have the talkbox at the beginning of "Sweet Emotion" moving around the room, the end vocals in "Uncle Salty" ("ooh it's a sunny day...") panning from speaker to speaker, and the horns in "Adam's Apple" in the rears.

Yet other aspects are quite different: for instance, the guitar solos in "Walk This Way" are in the front channels on the 5.1 mix, while the quad has them in right rear. The opening guitar in "Adam's Apple" starts in right front on the 5.1, yet it's in left front on the quad.

On the quad, the chorus vocals are often thrown entirely to the rears- this happens on "Toys In The Attic", "Walk This Way", "Sweet Emotion", "No More No More", and "Round & Round".

"Adam's Apple" (5.1):

"Adam's Apple" (4.0):

"Walk This Way" (5.1):

"Walk This Way" (4.0):

Get Your Wings and Rocks are absolute monsters in quad. Some of the best surround music I've ever heard. Messina is credited for doing the quad on Wings, but I don't think there's a credit on Rocks.

Last edited:
But we already have three albums in quad to work with. Toys has already been done in 5.1 but I would still like the original discrete quad.

I was actually referring to re~releasing them in Quad/5.1........especially since ROCKS only had a VERY limited Stereo only SACD release and with current DSD 256 technology they would sound awesome! And would also love to hear Toys In The Attic in its original QUAD version.

4-earredwonder said:

Last edited:
Rocks was released as SACD? I never knew that! But to your point I think we would all love to see them released as a BD in quad or 5.1. I would say keep it simple and just directly transfer all three quad albums onto one BD, charge $50 bucks and watch the money roll in. No needle drops though, must be from a discrete master tape.

Back