Dream Theater - New Album in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its probably to late but have sent a email to Roadrunner asking if this is a Dvd Audio or could be made into a Dvd Audio.
I am not sure if i will order it if its only Dolby Digital, never listen to Systematic Chaos as that was DD, just doesn't sound right.

Its probably to late but have sent a email to Roadrunner asking if this is a Dvd Audio or could be made into a Dvd Audio.
I am not sure if i will order it if its only Dolby Digital, never listen to Systematic Chaos as that was DD, just doesn't sound right.

Well a Ed from Roadrunner Records said he is looking into what is on the Dvd and if it is Dvd Audio.
Might help if some more people email roadrunner records asking about this, can't hurt if fans are asking for dvd audio, lets them know people care about sound.

I am on my way to a playback of this album in London- I'll let you all know what I think!

Well, sorry, I didn't get the chance to ask anything. There was time for approximately 3 audience questions and they were all taken by much bigger fans than me...

Still- I thought the music on the album was pretty good. Less widdly widdly than I've previously heard from the band (of which I am not the world's largest fan.)

I will probably buy it. As for the 5.1 mix- well, I heard it in a studio on (presumably) expensive speakers. The general sound quality didn't strike me as very good, sounded kind of MP3 ish to me (maybe brick walled...) and the mix, well there were some moments of front to back / back to front panning but mostly it was a kind of "big stereo" thing with the odd thing spinning around the room.

Can't necessarily be sure that it was the proper 5.1 mix we heard but if it was I wouldn't buy it just for that. Buy it for the music.

Shame. I'll buy it no matter what, but I dreamed tonight the album came out on DVD-A in an actual classic DVD-A case. I was just gonna post about it here when I woke up. Oh, reality :-/

Well a Ed from Roadrunner Records said he is looking into what is on the Dvd and if it is Dvd Audio.
Might help if some more people email roadrunner records asking about this, can't hurt if fans are asking for dvd audio, lets them know people care about sound.

I wrote to RR as well, saying that Systematic Chaos in DD sounds very thin, and that DTS would be better for the new album and that dvd audio would be the best. And this is what Ed wrote back

Hello Robert,

The 5.1 is DVD audio.

Thank You,

Ed

As there has been misunderstanding in the past by record labels about dvd audio, I am not 100% sure this will be the real deal, but is does look promising!

I wrote to RR as well, saying that Systematic Chaos in DD sounds very thin, and that DTS would be better for the new album and that dvd audio would be the best. And this is what Ed wrote back As there has been misunderstanding in the past by record labels about dvd audio, I am not 100% sure this will be the real deal, but is does look promising!

Well, I just got home and got same email saying its a dvd audio, I am also a bit skeptical so have emailed back:

"Is that 100% for sure that the new Dream Theater 5.1 is a Dvd Audio as I know some people make a mistake thinking, it's on a dvd and its audio so its a dvd audio when not knowing that Dvd Audio layer needs MLP encoding.
If this is not a dvd audio when told it is I will not be very happy as have been burned before from other dvd's."

Have time to kill waiting for these releases so lets see what the next reply is back,will report when I get a reply.

Well even if it is a DVD-A, if it sounds like what I heard last night I wouldn't get too excited... :-/

Well, I got my reply and Ed says, "I've confirmed this our technical support team.", this was to the question that it's definitely a dvda.

That's a quote, guess instead of asking if it is dvda I should have asked even more important question, like is this mastered with care so we can hear the music properly.

Look a few posts up- I actually liked the album but the sound quality didn't wow me at all, especially since it was being played on studio monitors.

In case you're interested, I wrote an account of the evening where I went to the new DT album playback party...

http://giggingforever.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/15th-august-2013-dream-theater-dream.html

For reasons which will become obvious, I don't have any great insights on what the album is like, but you might find it amusing / interesting anyway... :)

Thanks for that, I did enjoy your review of that day and was surprised to see that members of the band were in London for this listening preview as in this day and age wouldn't think there is a budget for stuff like this.
How many people were in on this listening party?

I saw Dream Theater play live in Vancouver BC on Sept.28,2011 and I did not have a brush with fame but my friend Rob did and I played a small part in Rob's day. Rob took the day off for that concert day(I would meet Rob later at venue for the concert) and I was talking to Rob previous day and told him that Steven Wilson has a new album that just came out called Grace For Drowning so Rob said hey I need to get that so he was going to wander downtown to a HMV store(closed 3 months later) that was downtown Vancouver. Well as Rob was walking downtown he says he sees Jordon Rudess going for a walk and Rob says Hi to him and Jordon says walk with me and they talk music stuff. In fact they stop for lunch together and during conversation at lunch the topic of Steven Wilson comes up and Rob says he is going to pickup the cd same day and Jordon says, I played on that album and gives Rob some money to buy a extra copy of cd and tells Rob that he can meet them backstage before and after the concert for the meet and greet and if he could pass on the cd that would be great.
From all Rob told me he says Jordon was a great guy real down to earth and was definitely a very memorable day for Rob and he did get Jordan a copy of the SW cd.

peter

Back