Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are You Going With Me?
Another great mastering job by Christoph Stickel,
Takes me back to a time listening to this for the first time, driving back down the Sierra Nevada mountains with a girl friend; with the sun setting and breaking through layers of cloud banks between the Pines. Just a magical time. This song being a live recording has much better flow and tempo than the studio version (always thought the studio version had it's feet dragging in mud compared to this one!) The new mastering by Christoph Stickel reveals more of the textural layers of synths. by Lyle Mays IMO. Sounds like what you'd hear (turned up) if you were sitting at the actual concert. So good with the memories- brought tears to my eyes.

https://www.discogs.com/Pat-Metheny-Group-Travels/release/12549197

After some 'arm twisting' the Pupster convinced me to purchase this 2 SACD Disc Set from ebay and I'm happy to report that even though my arms are a little sore, my ears are Ecstatic!

See the source image

What is your review of this SACD?
I'm seeing mixed views online of the music on this album so far.
Only one pass through so far, but it does seem a little uneven with the material. Some songs are definitely much better than others. And there is also the age/mileage factor on her vocal performance which is evident on some songs as well. I will need more time with it though as I really liked some of the songs. Also from a mix perspective some of the songs would sound better IMO if her vocals weren't so "up front."
What are the reviews you're reading say Brian?

Jennifer Warnes - Another Time, Another Place SACD
(Elliot Scheiner has some recording credit, just not sure in what specific capacity?)
And thanks to @Clint Eastwood for pointing this one out!

View attachment 43389

Pupsta 🐶 , do you have Jennifer's THE HUNTER Stereo SACD? Wonder why they never released her "Famous Blue Raincoat" album on SACD?

51v7ndlrARL.jpg

IMPEX Records has released Famous Blue Raincoat as a GOLD CD:https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/69092/Jennifer_Warnes-Famous_Blue_Raincoat-Gold_CD

Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat

Last edited:
Tell me please, which version of "My Baby Just Cares For Me" does this one have? Most versions sort of drag along; the version I'm interested in, is very lively and up beat.

I was unfamiliar with this track until I played the SACD, so I went to youtube and the version heard there, multiple times, is the same as the one on the SACD, about 3:38 in length. I wouldn’t call it slow, the piano jumps pretty good, but her vocals are fairly laid back.
There is another version on youtube that’s faster, sounds almost like country. It’s 3:03
The picture says 50’s Super Hits, with no mention of when it was recorded, is that the version you’re looking for.
?

I was unfamiliar with this track until I played the SACD, so I went to youtube and the version heard there, multiple times, is the same as the one on the SACD, about 3:38 in length. I wouldn’t call it slow, the piano jumps pretty good, but her vocals are fairly laid back.
There is another version on youtube that’s faster, sounds almost like country. It’s 3:03
The picture says 50’s Super Hits, with no mention of when it was recorded, is that the version you’re looking for.
?

Thanks for checking; I also checked youtube, and the version I like is the one on the SACD, so now I have to get it. :p There are other versions of that song that are very laid back (which I'm not crazy about!) But, yeah- that's the one- it can really grow on you.

For those interested in the highly praised IMPEX RECORDS GOLD RBCD of Jennifer Warnes' Famous Blue Raincoat, ImportCD has a better price on it: https://www.importcds.com/famous-blue-raincoat/856276002008

Product Notes
Reissue of the critically acclaimed 1987 record of Leonard Cohen songs that includes Stevie Ray Vaughan on "First We Take Manhattan" and a duet with Leonard Cohen on "Joan of Arc", plus other Cohen classics. Includes four bonus tracks in a deluxe, hardcover book-style packaging with improved photographic elements and production notes in a 12 page booklet. 24 karat gold CD.

Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat

Last edited:
An absolutely stunning Remastered Stereo SACD from the folks at ORG [RCA/ORG/Stereo SACD]

Should sound 'scrumptious' on Pupster's 🐶 SM V.2!

See the source image

Last edited:
Back